MTM big turbo

DuncS3

Reaction score
Right...since we have discussed Garrett and IHI 'big turbos', anyone know much about the turbo MTM uses on its kit? Its a K26 with an external wastegate is'nt it? What are the charecteristics of this turbo - big booster I would guess?

Dunc

I think Dunk is having this conversion done to his S3, MTM stage 3 I think it is, good for 345BHP, so he might be able to answer some questions.

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
Right...since we have discussed Garrett and IHI 'big turbos', anyone know much about the turbo MTM uses on its kit? Its a K26 with an external wastegate is'nt it? What are the charecteristics of this turbo - big booster I would guess?

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep it uses a external (RS2 i think) wastegate... The kit looks very similar to the Sportec kit that Ed Jackson has on his golf which is currently using a K24 turbo (modified by Sportec though!). If the likes of MTM are using them, it must be good right? Shame about the price though... But you get what you pay for. Their price is more tha likely inclusive of EVERYTHING except VAT, which is alot better than being given a 'bullsh*t' price and it ending up costing half as much again. It would be interesting to see some dyno plots of the conversion... also, what kind of torque figure are we looking at? Certainly seems like a good kit for the S3... The extra power to overcome the the extra weight.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
it appears to be producing about 340lb ft torque and above the 345hp they claim. dont know about torque curve yet but i will post a scan of my RR session soon.

the main thing with the mtm kit is that qst have done more than 30 in the uk, the kit is complete with absolutely everything and it is well developed and proved and only takes 2 days to do, as opposed to the ihi solutions which are all vapourware so far for the 4wd cars.

also jabba would want the car for 10-12 days and say they have a problem with the dbw mapping which is very worrying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds excellent....

So how much does this kit cost??

And what about fitting???

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
On Kims website its 7K inc fitting but plus the dreaded. Talking of being complete, I think this even includes a K&N panel filter...

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

It may sound alot, but once you add up everything thats not included in most other kits, it becomes more reasonable... Yes it is more expensive, but its a 'off the shelf' bolt-on upgrade so will just work.

Rich

Hi, I read somewhere that the transfer box has to be modified to allow fitting of the K26. Anyone know ? Probably cutting a lug off or filing something away ?

Chris.

Complete exhaust, cats etc, but interestingly MTM still use the standard twin ICs.

I think this is a picture of the kit, minus the exhaust (found on the web).

Dunc

thats a LHD kit has different intake pipework,also doesnt seem to have the bigger injectors,I see a fuel pressure reg in the picture.

I think I have a pic of my kit pre install somewhere.

@VST, do you have any pictures of everything installed ? Not that you'd see anything, as you were saying how tight it is .

Chris.

Now THAT is a kit! Everything (or nearly) that you would need. Dont like the idea of keeping the stock IC's though!

Rich

Would you use the K&N Filter or stay standard, maybe drill the airbox with another cold feed

mtm say do not mod the air box - the system is custom set up on each car to work with the standard air box and the k&n filter.

[ QUOTE ]
Ryanc said:
hi barry,
do you work at star performance?Can you let me know more details on the stage 3 kit for the audi s3?ie gt2871r?Can you sell the manifold alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ryan,

Check out the link on the other thread 'Audi Turbo' or something or other on this forum. They do a manifold only for Garratt turbos and they are VERY cheap!

Stevie