Air Filter for A4 1.8T

I

imported_AndyB40

I have a 190bhp A4 1.8T. Is it worth changing the air filter element to a make such as K&N. I know power gains are usually minimal, but is it worth the £40 odd quid it will probably cost. I know normal upgrade alternatives can include closed induction kits etc but don't want to bother with any of that as the car is under warranty. Any advice on air filters for this engine would be appreciated.

I'm sure other people will chime in, but I would stay away from the K&N's or any other oil impregnated filters. The oil sometimes comes off and coats the MAF sensor causing it to malfuntction. MAF's are pricey too.

Now, some people have no problems at all with oil impregnated filters, and if you want to go ahead and go that route, I would suggest making sure the oil is coated really light on there.

Hi,
I tried a BMC carbon air box induction kit on my s3 for around 500 miles, only difference was more intake noise, you could hear the air rushing in, but car felt less lively low down, have now gone back to factory box with new audi filter, thank god, car feels so much better. Should have listened to the tuning people in the first place. Also heard some horror stories recently of somebody else with the same kit as mine, they also changed back. hopes this helps

Thanks for the replies, yes I've heard about the oil killing the MAF sensor on some occasions.

On my Peugeot 206 I had a BMC CDA air filter and it made a fantastic difference so it's interesting it didn't work on your S3.

I think for now I'll leave the standard one in :)

What I really want of course is a nice remap from the likes of AMD but that's a little pricy and I need to save my pocket money :) The car has only done 7000 miles so probably better do get a few more miles done first before any real engine mods are done.

A remap totally transforms the car (when you get it done you will kick yourself for not having it done earlier...)

Save those pennies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

[ QUOTE ]
pink audi said:
shouldn't you start a few engine 'Tweeks' like exhaust and filter before undertaking a remap?

can you re-remap?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on what you want out of the car. Some tuners do offer a true remap - they can map your ECU in line with what modifications you have. Being more specific, if your car is fitted with an induction kit and exhaust, the car will in theory be pulling in more air, and pushing more out, so they can map the mixture a bit richer to compensate. At the end of the day though, you will not see that much of a benefit power-wise to mapping specifically like this, unless you're talking 300+BHP. It may be beneficial to the overall balance of the engine though, as it should ensure that all non-standard components are working in harmony with the rest of the engine.

Many tuners offer a 'remap' that is no more of a remap than a chip: the values for boost, timing, and igntion are predetermined, and therefore do not take into account any modifications prior to the code change. Adding modifications like an induction kit or high flow filter after the 'remap' would be no more beneficial nor detrimental than adding the mods beforehand.

Being realistic though, if it came down to the situation of "Right I've got 600 quid to spend. I can afford to get a remap, or I can afford to spend the money on an exhaust and an induction kit" then I would personally favour going straight for the remap, whether it be a true remap or a generic chip. Why? Because an exhaust and induction kit will NEVER give gains anywhere near as good as remapping a turbocharged car. Granted, if you can afford the lot then by all means upgrade the induction kit and exhaust, then get a remap done that realises the potential of the mods.

If you want a nicer noise, go for the induction or exhaust. If you want a better car, go for a remap.

Drew.