xenon MOT issue

TTLOON

Reaction score
just bought a proper xenon upgrade pack which looks spot-on. tooke two hours to fit... only thing is i'm a bit concerned regarding mot's 'cos it doesn't have headlamp washers. Is this the case? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

hi i subscribe to auto express and they covered this subject couple of months back and im sure they said its mot failure as you need to have headlamp washers

[ QUOTE ]
bainsyboy said:
hi i subscribe to auto express and they covered this subject couple of months back and im sure they said its mot failure as you need to have headlamp washers

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct if it's factory fit Xenon's, as stated above by Ronny, the laws doesn't apply to retro fit Xenon kits.

[ QUOTE ]
bainsyboy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

3 of my close friends are MOT testers...each of them has confirmed that as long as the aim is correct, they are not able to fail a car for having HID lights and no washers / leveling.

My Golf has a retro-fitted kit, and it passes the mot with ease.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
bainsyboy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

3 of my close friends are MOT testers...each of them has confirmed that as long as the aim is correct, they are not able to fail a car for having HID lights and no washers / leveling.

My Golf has a retro-fitted kit, and it passes the mot with ease.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. I work in a garage & the MOT testers will only fail if the beam is not in the right place - regardless if their zenons or not.

YOGi

crikey i was only saying what auto express said lol i best not say which footie team i support, with reading the auto express report it states " Jonathan Walls from Hella warned that unlike the Hella system, which replaces the entire lamp, the cheaper version plugs the xenon bulb into the halogen socket. Walls ruled the kit was not uk legal. It has no self levelling device to keep the beam on the road, and no washer to remove lens dirt and if caught brings a £50 fine and three penalty points" but with the lack off old bill on the road id say fit em and f--k em as beam is much better ( i said the last bit not the bloke from Hella ) And if you got the whole kit you should be ok

just for reference Auto Express i refered to is 15-21 september 2004 page 16, tell em Bainsy sent you and i might get free pen lol