Cam Chain and Tensioner

taj

Reaction score
Hi I need some advice. My car is making a nasty rattle when I turn the engine on. Audi have said that its' the cam chain and tensioner. Cost to fit and replace a whopping £800. My car has only done 38000 miles. Should this have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif happended with such low miles. I think it's a manufacturing fault. Could this be the case. Your advice would be much appreciated. My car is a 2001 X TT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

hi there replacing the cam chain tensioner is a massive job which includes removing both the cams from the engine, so a big part of that bill will be labour. 5-6 hours i would say. it is not a common fault but we have had a few that have done it only on start up for about 2 seconds. unfortunately if your car is not in warranty i dont think there is much u can do. maybe the owner before u used the wrong oil. it should be run on mobil one.

Had mine done last month at Audi under warranty...........mine had done 24K

It took them a day and a half to do and the noise has gone now. Apparently the plastic bush wears and provides play and that is the rattle noise of the chain until the slack is taken out by the engine revs increasing.

Had the same on mine done about 34000miles the stealers said they've never had a car in with this problem before,most parts are cheap unless its the tensioner thats bust that wasnt plus labour is a killer.Trying to copy bill from stealer but cant get it from scanner 2 here how do you do it if someone could let me know it would be great its doin my head in trying to copy onto this,cheers.

yes s3mike is correct the plastic wears through and causes the rattling, i have done the tensioners in about 2 hours before, the book info says you have to take the camshafts out but you can get away without doing that. probably too fiddly to do it yourself!! the plastic only wears away due to oil pressure faults the unit cant hold it straight away thats why they are noisey on first start up.