To buy or not to buy.......

slinx

Reaction score
Hi all, been a while since i've been on here after getting rid of my Audi some time ago. But i'm back in the market for a TT....

I've just looked at a W-reg 225 with 81k, up for £8700. Everything seems fine with it (had cam-belt done etc and full service history), except for one thing.

I checked the oil cap and there was a bit of yellow gunk there, not a lot but i did notice it. I have 0 mechanical knowledge, but i assume thats something to do with the head-gasket. Is this a easy problem to sort? or does it mean a lasting problem and a purchase i should steer clear of?

Many thanks.

might be condensation due to short journeys, my TT is ok normally short journeys but i nearly had kittens early when i checked my wifes oil in her golf because oil filler cap was caked in whiteish yellow gunge, ill try post pic if you want 2moz, called her out and she said its always been like that since new but dissapears when she does a long journey, if your seriously thinking of this TT take it out for a longish drive and then recheck cap, also if it was head gasket you would be having steam coming out of the exhaust

Hi, thanks for your reply.

There was steam coming out of the exhaust, and i did notice 2 wet marks below the exhaust, obviously where water had dripped from each tailpipe.

Now could this just be condensation as mentioned? It had a lady owner before and she didn't do a lot of miles, so probably was just used for short journeys.

However, you can understand my concern, especially when having to part with my hard-earned cash! So do i take the risk or hold out for another one...............

Hi slinx your best bet is to visit this site
http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/index.php?sid=3e7e295026c7ff5f72e014c24209afba

If i was you i would take the car out again for a good drive if you still have steam water coming out of the exhaust walk away, If it was me id drive it for 20 30 mins then park it up and leave engine running if water steam still being seen i'd walk away as you never know what TT if thats what your after is around the corner.

If you definately want it get one of the motor organisations to give it the once over as your going to be ****** off if after spending £8k you need to spend guessing here ( but phone Audi dealer for quote ) £1k

hi, thanks for ur reply. appreciated. I've spoke to the guy and arrange another test drive, so we'll see!

Cheers.

Try that TT site Slinx as there are loads of people with a passion for the TT also there is a person called WAK that will be able to tell you everything about the TT and then some