Common faults with Audi TTs?

AlunR

Reaction score
Just been with my mum to look at a 2002 Audi TT Quattro (1.8T 225bhp) this afternoon. Good condition all 'round apart from the two front wheels were a bit kerbed so I told her to mention that to the dealer. As I assumed he said "I'll knock some money off for that"

I own a 2001 Polo GTi, so I don't really know much about Audi's and I was pointed in this direction by someone on Club Polo. The TT's priced at £14,450 with 39,000 miles on the clock.

What price do they usually sell for this spec/age/mileage?

Are there any common faults I should be aware of? And were there any recalls that should have been completed?

Any help you can give me will be appreciated! Thanks :)

Hi mate, the TT has the same basic block as the 1.8T's in A3/S3's and MKIV Golfs. Common faults are numerous, little niggles that'll cost 10-80 quid to fix (DIY'd) but the biggest worry is the chocolate water pump they use.

It's driven by the cambelt, and if it goes, and it has been known to on all the above mentioned cars, at the very leat you've gotta have a new belt and water pump. At worst a new engine.

Take a look at my post on vag20v.net for some pics of what the look like.

http://www.vag20v.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2014

Most on the forums, replace them with the brass on's also pictured. Mention that you're also looking at a Boxter 2.7, and I wonder if he'll be able to do an even better price!!

Also ask if it's had a new MAF sensor lately (common failure) and he may realise you've done some homework.

Other than that they're pretty reliable! Mine's FWD so couldn't comment on Quattro. Hope this helps.

Andy

is it from an audi dealership and an "audi approved" used car?

If so, i'd remind them that an audi approved used car means that it leaves the showroom in the same condition that it was delivered as new.

any paintwork, trim, scuffs, scratches, get them to sort them before delivery.

You pay over the odds for an audi approved used car, so dont let them take the mick.

Thanks for the replies!

No, it's not from an Audi dealer just a local car dealership.

What's a MAF sensor by the way?

AlunR said:
No, it's not from an Audi dealer just a local car dealership.

in which case, that sounds expensive then,

AlunR said:
What's a MAF sensor by the way?

the MAF is a sensor that tells the car how much air is entering the induction, and stands for something like Mass Airflow sensor or summat.

How much do you think she should offer?

I'd reckon its a quiet time for the average used car dealer.....

I'd offer a grand less, leave him with the thought and see if he bites!!

If not its no great loss - there are plenty of TTs of that age around for sale.

True. I'll let you know what the result is.

Ahh, I've just noticed the TT is at 39k miles. Check if the 40k service has been done.

This is a biggie as it involves brake fluid, haldex oil and filter, as well as the usual service schedule stuff. From an Audi Stealer, this service on average costs around £500 (assuming nothing else comes up!).

I'd certainly be checking for that :thumbsup:

Common faults? Might be worth looking in the A3 8L section as the engine and many other parts are shared.

Good luck.

Check the dash pod as well as they are common for faults Audi will replace free of charge for cars upto 5 years old but if car older they normally charge in the region of £800

Hi common faults to look for are knocking in the front susspention , Check it has the full ESP pachage, ask questions if the ESP button on dash doesnt work... sound a big price with out the 40k service defo mention a boxter he will try harder HTH's