Buying a used TT or a used S3

kazino21

Reaction score
Hi guys, I had an A3 2001 51 which I bought new, unfortuanately the car has been written off and I need to get another car with a lesser budget of what I had when I bought the A3. I am looking at the TT 225 coupe and the S3 with 225. Haven't been able to test an S3 here in the UK yet as they are rare among audi dealers but I did get a flavour of what the tt coupe would be like as today I got a test drive of a 180 non quattro cabriolet (brand new only 100 miles on it), I love the cars low slung look and the driving position was far better than the A3 2.0 fsi that I also tried out just before the TT. The car is still stunning to look at but by the looks of the new TT being released it looks like it will not look as fresh once that is out.

The drive was nice and sharper than the A3 and the engine has a lovely note. However what would the driving dynamics be like compared to the S3?

Thanks in advance.
Karim

you should be able to pick a tt at a good price due to the new model coming out, but you will also lose out, when you go to sell it due to it being the old shape. So swings and roundabouts

Driving wise how would the S3 compare to the TT 225 though?

[ QUOTE ]
Driving wise how would the S3 compare to the TT 225 though?

[/ QUOTE ]

very similar although I'd say the S3 has a slight edge but others would argue - a lot.

They are the same drivetrain / engine / most suspension bits etc... I only had a TT for a day or two when my car was in the dealers and there were things that bugged me a lot. The main two were the daft airvents on the dash where the reflections in the windscreen kept catching my attention (very sunny day) and I kept hitting my leg on the metal bar thingy on the middle dash section going down to by the handbrake - although I'm quite tall. The TT didn't quite feel as quick as my 210 S3 either which was very wierd.

Don't think you'd be disapointed with either to be honest.

Thanks mate, that will help me very much as I was thinking if the TT was better to drive as well as to look at then it would be an all out winner but now I'm leaning a little towards the S3 225.

I really would go for the TT regardless if I didn't think the car would look dated in a few months time as it is a fashion car, where'as the S3 is subtle anyway so doesn't matter as much, that said i remember parking my a3 next to a new style one mine's silver and his was black and the silver on my car really exacebated how much better the new car really looks. But again the S3 has a nice body kit nicer interior and nicer alloys so I'm really confused. Ahhhh

TTs are too common for my liking.

The S3 is very discreet, but it still manages to turn heads - and there aren't many around.

It depends if you need the extra space....... the S3 is a great mix of practicality, quality, build and decent performance.

From what you say you have only driven the 180BHP non-quattro TT? Trust me, the 225 S3 will be a huge difference - quattro and the extra power really is the dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif!

I had the same dilema before I bought my S3; the wife wanted me to buy a TT. Nuff said.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Thanks for the advice mate, looking to get my hands all over the 225 and quattro can't wait

By the way C_Audiboy it's nice to see the standard S3 rims on your car I think they look better than the RS4's. Also The s2000 looks tiny compared to the S3, test drove one a while back the engine has the best tune ever though, 9000rpm is just race car territory.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way C_Audiboy it's nice to see the standard S3 rims on your car I think they look better than the RS4's. Also The s2000 looks tiny compared to the S3, test drove one a while back the engine has the best tune ever though, 9000rpm is just race car territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers, I'm a fan of the standard rims too - I actually think there are fewer S3s with these on now. I suppose like everything in life, they could do with and extra inch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif the same wheel although 18" would be just the ticket!!

The S2000 is a hoot so long as you give it plenty of revs - it sounds like a Ferrari when it's up there!! It doesn't suit my driving style though - I like the lowdown torque in the S3 rather than having to gun it all the time to get it moving. I'd like the S2k for the weekend though......

I had a TT. If I was buying now it'd be an S3.

The TT has a superior interior etc (same handling) but will depreciate due to the new model.

The S3 has already had the new A3 so prices have already been hit making it a better 2nd hand buy.

[ QUOTE ]
I had a TT. If I was buying now it'd be an S3.

The TT has a superior interior etc (same handling) but will depreciate due to the new model.

The S3 has already had the new A3 so prices have already been hit making it a better 2nd hand buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree partly on the prices, but the new S3 could be out soonish so that might hit them more.

On the interior I don't agree at all, I found it most uncomfortable compared to the S3, the metal bars dug into my leg when using the foot rest and the air vent thingys on the dash were a permant distraction in bright sunny weather. I am quite tall though but those two things really annoyed me and I only had the car a few days!

Just my 2p...