TT - wheels - ride etc.

Cool Keith

Reaction score
Hello All,

Posted in the wrong place before...

Hello all

Just a quick one (as they say)
laugh.gif

I'm looking to buy a current gen TT - most like a 2.0 petrol Quattro.

Just wondering - I live in the middle of nowhere in the Chilterns - the roads are abysmal round here these days. I've had to ditch the S2000 as it just doesn't work up here.

Are the alloys tough on the TT? - any to be avoided? - any spec to avoid - I need control and grip but can't handle any more osteopath bills!

The guide at UsedCarExpert is no much use - neither is Honest Johns - so I thought I'd come here.

Any advice helpful -

Best

Keith

TBH there are varied things to consider here for control/grip.

ARB's, suspension, tyres, wheel size, all come into play.

If its just wheels that are to be considered, then 17's would be your best bet if back issues & road are your nemesis as such & some very good grip tyres.

My Sessantas are very good for grip, but manufacturer replaced them with Vorte's these days.

Hello Keith, Welcome Along.

I'd say you're going down the right path with the Quattro for grip but like NHN says for the better ride you should get 17s on it...I don't believe there is any particular set that I've heard of issues with. Many of the Mk2 TT's will come with 17s standard but most 2nd hand ones will have been upgraded to 18s or 19s.

I'm looking to buy a current gen TT - most like a 2.0 petrol Quattro.

Just wondering - I live in the middle of nowhere in the Chilterns - the roads are abysmal round here these days. I've had to ditch the S2000 as it just doesn't work up here. Are the alloys tough on the TT? - any to be avoided? - any spec to avoid - I need control and grip but can't handle any more osteopath bills!
Keith

We've a 2.0 petrol Quattro convertible TT, Keith; on 8.5JX17-inch original Audi rims: these provide just brilliant ride and handling in summer use.

I do use similar 8.5JX17-inch original Audi rims with Vredestein winter tyres between November and March; and this combination on the TT is just brilliant on the snow covered hilly roads of Cannock Chase.

Note: I also have an RS3; and this is fitted with 8Jx19-inch rims: interesting that the RS3 has narrower rims than a 2.0 TT! I also have Vredestein winter tyres for this beastie...

We've a 2.0 petrol Quattro convertible TT, Keith; on 8.5JX17-inch original Audi rims: these provide just brilliant ride and handling in summer use.

I do use similar 8.5JX17-inch original Audi rims with Vredestein winter tyres between November and March; and this combination on the TT is just brilliant on the snow covered hilly roads of Cannock Chase.

Note: I also have an RS3; and this is fitted with 8Jx19-inch rims: interesting that the RS3 has narrower rims than a 2.0 TT! I also have Vredestein winter tyres for this beastie...

Ok, am now changing to 9J x 18-inch rims with the same Vredestein Wintrac Extream Winter tyres - go see classifieds for last seasons road contacts - the slippy stuff will be here soon. Don't ya just love quattro machinery :kissmyrings:

Ok, am now changing to 9J x 18-inch rims with the same Vredestein Wintrac Extream Winter tyres - go see classifieds for last seasons road contacts - the slippy stuff will be here soon. Don't ya just love quattro machinery :kissmyrings:

OK, done that, and the ride on the 9J 18-inch rims is so much better - and I truly can't understand how/why!

P1040259mod_zps15eb686f.jpg