Have i got boost problems?

Johnney1985

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently joined the TT gang with a 99 225 APX. I previously had A3 8L 1.8t sport which I had remmaped to about 215bhp. I was expecting the tt to be pretty much on par being a 225 obviously allowing for the 4wd etc. but the tt seems to be far from it. I was checking the boost and have found that it hits 1bar but at about 4000 rpm it seems to drop off to 0.5bar. im not sure if this is how it is meant to be or weather there is a problem? I have had a look around the engine bay... all pipe work seems ok, I have taken the dv off and it is holding when I put my finger over the top of it. the only thing I will be changing is the air filter as it has a cone not the standard airbox.. but I cannot see this making that much difference? am I looking for a problem that isn't there?

Get a VCDS scan done of the engine/car to see if you have any problems. Have a look in the vcds section to see if anyone is near to you that could scan it.

Although I didn't have a TT my 8L S3 felt like a snail as standard. The boost well it didn't feel like much boost at all! Due to it's age it could likely have a boost leak somewhere.

I have checked for leaks but cant seem to find any... Ive fitted a new dv now and it seems to of got a bit better.
I think i might be expecting a bit too much.
Will prob book it in at amd and if there is nothing wrong il get a stage 1 on it.

Slight update, took the TT out this morning and kept an eye on the boost guage... it seems in all gears it peaks at around 0.5bar now, and in 5th and 6th it drops off to about 0.3 bar. I have double checked all the vacuum lines.. intercooler pipework.. a new dv....:uhm: scanned it and no fault codes present. has anyone else had this problem or got any ideas??

All sorted now... Took my maf out and gave it a good clean and that has cured the problem