Tapping noise, worse when engine warm

TTJess

Reaction score
I've got a 2007 2.0tfsi FWD TT, engine code BWA.

Bought it 6 days ago, its got an annoying tapping noise from the engine, also when sat on idle, it's very lumpy, but revs don't move.
Been told the tapping could be the cam chain tensioner, that the tapping will be worse when oil is warm, and that it will only be lumpy when warm, which are the symptoms of my car but the garage said there are no problems what so ever. The issue with it being lumpy is getting worse each day.

Highly annoying, but anyone got any clues to what it could be?

Thanks !

I'm assuming youve bought it from a garage. Take it back to them as they should have to fix it. Did you test drive before you bought it?

I also have no idea what you mean by lumpy lol

I've always thought the 2.0T was tappety.

Your 'lumpy' idle may be cured by a change of plugs, but it's hard to say without seeing it.

As said above I'd take it back and get it checked ASAP.

I've took it back and they are claiming nothing is wrong with it, but the idle only does it when it's warm.

Yeh i did test drive it, but i probably didn't hear the tapping because it had a belt squeak, which they sorted before i picked it up, along with the handrake. The idle was not at fault when i test drove it.

Well I have the same engine in mine and it smooth whether it's cold or warm... It does sound tappety, that's the way they are. It's the injectors that make the racket! It should be lumpy though and if it's only doing it since they sorted a belt squeak then it must be linked. Maybe the belt is over tensioned...

Do knackered tumble flaps 'tick'?

Get the Car scanned with VCDS this should reveal stored fault codes relating to your idling problem and go back to the **** with a printout