S3 vs TT

• Thread starter imported_hornet_basher
  • Start date
I

imported_hornet_basher

I've got a 210 2001 S3 which we are thinking of changing.

A 225 TT is on the top of the list .

So how do the cars compare, which cars better at what and how/

cheers

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had a APR'ed TT and ran on a few track days with APR'ed S3s. There was nothing in it. In fact I was on OEM brakes and some of them had aftermarkets ones. If they had better handling then it wasn't utilised.

TT is still a current shape so residuals are probably stronger but a new one will be about in 12-18months.

S3 is a bit more pratical due to it being a real 3 seater.

I went for the TT as when I bought it, I knew depreciation would be low, it was rare (yeah was!) and I love the interior.

Some people say style over substance but since it has the same substance as an S3 it's actually style AND substance.

I guess it's all down to what suits you and your lifestyle.

morning , you say your thinking of a tt i was think of getting an s3 do you want to swap? . call me for details if you wish 07966 848440

[ QUOTE ]
The lack of visibility in the TT would p*ss me off after a while. As far as performance I dont think there is much in it? S3 a bit heavier maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

actually I think the TT is slightly heavier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

actually I think the TT is slightly heavier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct TT is quite a bit heavier, ever tried jacking the front end up, lol

S3 weighs around 1375-1400kgs I think whereas TT weighs in at approx 1500kgs.

HEY, I WORK FOR AUDI AND HAVE NOT LONG RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2001 S3, I TEST DROVE BOTH AND DRIVE THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS WITH WORK. FOR ME THE S3 WON HANDS DOWN IT WAS MORE PRACTIAL AS SAID ALREADY BUT THE SPEED DIFFERENCE IS MINIMAL BUT THE ROAD HOLDING WAS BETTER THANKS TO THAT EXTRA WEIGHT. AS FAR AS STYLING GOES U CANT BEAT THE LOOK OF AN S3 FOR ME AND INTERIOR? WITH ALCANTARA SPLIT LEATHER RECAROS AND SAT NAV WHAT MORE COULD U WANT???!!! PUT A CHIP ON IT AND AN EXHAUST!!

Can you SPEAK UP a bit? I'm a bit deaf. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

gives mine loads more mid and top end , very worth while imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Dyno proven?

I had my Milltek tested before and after...both the exhaust system and cats...
I got nothing from either...nothing provable by a dyno plot anyway.

I admit that the car 'felt' faster...and seemed to pull better at the top end...but no extra power.

Certainly nothing like the claims of the manufacturer.
This was on a standard S3...

Was it worth it?
For noise, looks and 'feel',,,probably.
For power gain...no.
Neither are the cats...IMHO.

However...when running high boost, better ICs, modified inlet etc...I guess you would see some form of gain.

Apart from the sound the best thing I found it did was to allow the car to rev freely for an additional 500-750 rpm before it started running out of accelaration.

That made it much more flexible and on it's own for me made it worthwhile.

The cats for the 1.8T don't seem to be worth it unless you're pushing for 300bhp or more.

[ QUOTE ]
The cats for the 1.8T don't seem to be worth it unless you're pushing for 300bhp or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it any better, scoTTy.