Advice please

bandit32

Reaction score
Hello all!! As you can see this is my first post on the forum. I have just purchased an Audi TT 180 (couldnt stretch to the 225 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) It was secondhand from Poole Audi in dorset and was first registered in 2000. Obviously, I love it, who wouldn't!! However, I have noticed an unusual sound coming from underneath the car. I'm not very technically minded but will do my best to describe it, at the very least, it will give you a laugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It sounds like a "wo wo wo" kind of rotational sound, loudest at 40mph but doesnt appear to speed up when the car speeds up?? The only other similiar sound I have heard is when a wheel bearing is on the way out. When driving in a straight line, very minute turns of the steering wheel appears to make it louder.

I am very aware that it is difficult to diagnose this type of noise but was wondering if anyone who has lots of knowledge and experience of these cars has had a similar experience. I will of course be booking the car in with the Audi dealer to get it checked out, but if I go armed with any advice people offer, stand a better chance of getting it fixed, I hope.

Thanks very much in advance of any replies and I hope you all have a fantastic Christmas.
PS. Hope this question is in the right location on the forum.
Bandit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ok, have driven the car today and have noted the following:
It is definately a rotational sound that does speed up as the car speeds up. The sound is still evedent, even when braking and changing gear or knocking the car into neutral doesnt make any difference. Loudest between 30-40mph. On each rotation, a small amount of vibration can be felt through either the floor or the pedals. Any ideas anyone???????

[ QUOTE ]
bandit32 said:
Ok, have driven the car today and have noted the following:
It is definately a rotational sound that does speed up as the car speeds up. The sound is still evedent, even when braking and changing gear or knocking the car into neutral doesnt make any difference. Loudest between 30-40mph. On each rotation, a small amount of vibration can be felt through either the floor or the pedals. Any ideas anyone???????

[/ QUOTE ]

How many miles has it done? Sounds like groaning bearings...

Has the previous owner fitted aftermarket brakes? Some grooved disc designs can be noisy too...

Cheers,
Adam

Hi Thanks for the reply. Car has done just over 40,000 miles and has standard Audi braking system, no aftermarket upgrades. I have since returned the car to the garage and booked it in to sort out the wheel bearing. Mind you, It wasn't easy convinsing them that it is in fact a grumbling bearing. They tried to palm me off by saying it was the brakes binding. Binding my ****! Anyway, thanks.

Bandit