Hampshire South Central Meet 20th Feb 2011

gavin89

Wana go Low gotta go Slow
Reaction score
Hampshire South Central Meet :redrs4:

*** SUNDAY 20th FEBUARY 2011 ***

Time – TBA (I will confirm later)

This is the follow on from THIS THREAD

Since there’s a lot of interest for a meet in the South central region, me and future will get the first one organised for next month.

Southampton is chosen for the location since its pretty much central for everyone to get to! So no excuses for being too far, and certainly no excuse for all the peeps who lives in Soton :cool:

Its gonna be on a Grosvenor Square multistory carpark top floor if the weather is good, if not we’ll have a cover under our heads and lights.

Location Address:

Grosvenor Square (MSCP)
Southampton
SO15 1BE

Theres a little speed bump on the way out for us lowered peeps, but I’ve been advise by future its not a problem unless your just ridiculously low lol

It’s gonna be a chilled out meet, where you can put some faces to names on here, have a chat and get to see some nice cars so please respect that! No drifting around and loud music.

Also for now its going to be an Audi ONLY event! Theres plenty of VAG meets around, but very few audis gets represented, so purpose of this is to bring all the Audi owners together in this region, and feel free to bring friends along if they own one too and not a member on here!

Finally add your forum name/car on the list even if you not 100% sure, just an idea on what turnout we might get!

1.gavin89 – 8L A3
2.future – 8L S3

Thanks! ;)

Nicely set up gav :) really excited for this!! Also now up on audisrs

Tom

Last edited:
1.gavin89 – 8L A3
2.future – 8L S3
3.STampie - 8P A3
4.DenimS3 - 8L S3

got a few people from audisrs coming so now:
1.gavin89 – 8L A3
2.future – 8L S3
3.STampie - 8P A3
4.DenimS3 - 8L S3
5.H8CAK - S4
6.Searider - B5 RS4
7.5potmad - S6

tom

1.gavin89 – 8L A3
2.future – 8L S3
3.STampie - 8P A3
4.DenimS3 - 8L S3
5.H8CAK - S4
6.Searider - B5 RS4
7.5potmad - S6
8.Shagga - B7 RS4

Does this group also go to Goodwood breakfast clubs?

1.gavin89 – 8L A3
2.future – 8L S3
3.STampie - 8P A3
4.DenimS3 - 8L S3
5.H8CAK - S4
6.Searider - B5 RS4
7.5potmad - S6
8.Shagga - B7 RS4
9.Allroader - C6 Allroad

I've been looking for an Audi meet local to me, but timing will be tight if it's around 1-3pm. I'm already booked at another car meet at the Empress of Blandings west of Soton (for RX8 owners past and present).

hey allroad good to see you on here :) just put it on rs246 and got a bit more interest, so about 10-12 people now! so keep them coming!

tom

1.gavin89 – 8L A3
2.future – 8L S3
3.STampie - 8P A3
4.DenimS3 - 8L S3
5.H8CAK - S4
6.Searider - B5 RS4
7.5potmad - S6
8.Shagga - B7 RS4
9.Allroader - C6 Allroad
10.666MRB - TT
11. Martins4 - S4 avant

come on people theres a thread of 50 or so people on the south coast no one else up for this?

tom

Last edited:
I'd suggest getting some idea of the time up there may help people commit. I'll be at another car meet at a pub from 12.30 to 3ish.

I've found that meets around 9.30 - 10.30 start are great if there's a bacon/burger van nearby. It also means you can be back for the partner activities by Noon, go for a pub lunch or watch sport.

Also, some may be delaying as the thought of driving into Southampton city centre on a prime shopping day means their partner may say yes, to go to the shops. I know mine is thinking IKEA!

fair point :) completely forgot about the shops :banghead: however to relax people you can get to grosvenor square car park without hitting any of 'central' southampton = no shopping :thumbsup: personnaly i was thinking around 11 o clock tim, or if not maybe 2ish and we can enjoy a pub lunch after? The great thing about the car park is we can do an evening one if that makes it easier for people to attend?

tom

Don't know if many of you know the car park that is being used for the meet but it's top of the High Street, all shops/malls/Ikea are walking distance,, no burger van near by, it also gets very busy a round the West Quay/Ikea area,there are major road works outside Ikea at the moment as well,just to let you know if your not local there is newish multi story car park in Ocean village (water front/docks ) always looks very quite,this is located at the bottom end of town not top end like multi story thats being used for meet,just a few thoughts if you didn't know Southampton.

Ah the much needed "what time?" discussion!

Im with what Allroader said, the key is what time gets the most people there! Im free all day.

Thanks for the info Tuggy, I think we'll leave this first meet location as it is. Next one we'll try a new place!

Yea I wasn't trying to relocate the meet ,I live in Southampton,if you need any info on So'ton let me know,

cheers for the help tuggy :) see you there?
gavin are we meeting to drive up? because 666mrb would like to go with us lol and anyone else that wants to come over as a group is very welcome!! time wise im free all day so its what suites everyone else. Getting itchy feet for this now, but dont thnk my spacers or 6pot brakes will be on the car for it :bye::asskicking:

tom

Last edited:
and spoke to a few more people and seems that 11 is the time of choice :)

I see the car park has a barrier in/out so tried to find the charges, it gave me a headache. There's a pic below, is this the car park that is meant to be free on Sundays? The sign doesn't say that and it's the multi story?

Here's a pic of the 'ramp'. Car must be seriously decked to get caught buy that.

If Brooksy or anyone else is VAGCOM equipped I'm looking into the 402 Mod for lowering the allroad.

Car%20Park.jpg

AtqjsP2U0reMrJ9GSo3k20Ht5NRwkAAIkQBcvZLKC9E

Cool 11am it is then! (How do u edit 1st post? It wont let me :wacko:)

Yeah tom we need to sort a convoy out! I say we meet in Christchurch, then up Bargates onto Hurn road and get on the A338 that way? Reason being the "moon craters" on Lyndhurst road nearly destroyed me car today :crying: hit a pothole soo hard that I nearly banged me head on the ceiling!! :blink:

Allroader I think thats the carpark yeh! Not sure about parking fee tho, maybe soton council website may help. I'll bring me vagcom if you need it mate :thumbsup:

Ta
Gav

Last edited:
As far as i'm aware no parking is free in So'ton any more ,council have reduced the rates as far as I know to attract shoppers back in to town,

sounds like a plan gavin :) and thats the car park allroader, my polo used to be 120mm down front and rear and still didnt catch lol
as to parking charges, there arent any 'free' ones as tuggy said, this is a pound for 2 hours if memory serves. If people dont want to pay that and the weather is nice we can always go to mfi car park opposite the statoion? but i would think that will be packed.

tom

£1 for a meet where there isn't a muddy, wet gravel car park is a bargain. I might even clay the allroad if the forecast is good.

gavin89, thanks for the vagcom offer, I'm not reading any positive stories of handling improvement using the 402 mod so will pass this time. I have an OBDII bluetooth and android app that I can bring along, together with another OBDII device that lets you immobilise the car, read fault codes and other things that make a difference.

can i be a pita please gavin lol do you mind if i borrow your vagcom and do some logs on the way there or something?

tom

can i be a pita please gavin lol do you mind if i borrow your vagcom and do some logs on the way there or something?

tom

Yeah sure mate! We'll do it on the way back, cus it takes a bit of setting up, right stretch of road etc. :thumbsup:

Cool 11am it is then! (How do u edit 1st post? It wont let me :wacko:)

Yeah tom we need to sort a convoy out! I say we meet in Christchurch, then up Bargates onto Hurn road and get on the A338 that way? Reason being the "moon craters" on Lyndhurst road nearly destroyed me car today :crying: hit a pothole soo hard that I nearly banged me head on the ceiling!! :blink:

Allroader I think thats the carpark yeh! Not sure about parking fee tho, maybe soton council website may help. I'll bring me vagcom if you need it mate :thumbsup:

Ta
Gav

This sounds like a good plan to me! Hopefully I will be attending! Should know and be giving an answer by Monday!:)

Cheers gavin :) will be happy to meet anywhere for the convoy! This is really starting to look wicked! Well excited lol

tom

Just came over from the other thread.. can I ask why we the meet is a Multi-Story Car park please.

Hope you have a good meet though :) but this location counts me out then.

Last edited:
I think it's a valid point to raise any concerns about venues for meets as these can have an impact on attracting greater numbers.

A venue needs to have something to offer beyond a car park. The car park on this meet is close enough to the shops to drop off partners while those interested in the cars meet up.

Now the subject of (future) venues has been raised though, has anyone been to The Rosebowl on the outskirts of Southampton? I believe parking is readily available and I think they have catering that is open at the weekends.

I think that if we called them about meeting in their carpark, if only out of courtesy, they would see this as an opportunity for perhaps regular meetings and custom for their franchises on site. They do have other events like weddings so I don't propose we just turn up and 'hog' the car park, even those from Hampshire.

Perhaps meets could be linked with matches or other exhibitions at the site?

I also think we'd need to have a strict local speed limit adherence to retain goodwill.

Another thought. Is there a local Audi dealer that would like to participate in the Southern local meets, with demonstrators or an R8 or two?

You may notice I like to see the 'big' picture and Audi has the right image for this.

I will now do what I could have done at the start and search for any existing car club meets at the Rosebowl. I very much doubt my idea is original.

Last edited:
Hi Allroader, all good points too.

Heres a copy and paste if info posted up on this thread.... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/smaller-local-events/92056-hampshire-south-central-peeps.html

========

There are several good meet places have used with other clubs forums - Scoobynet/MLR/Hampshire Jap Cars etc.

Some good places that are regularly used are....

White Swan - Swaythling/Westend Soton - Bing Maps Hosts the MLR/ Hampshire Subaru meets meets

Seven Stars - A272 Petersfield (best driving road in the area) Bing Maps Hosts the MLR/ Hampshire Subaru meets. Great family restaurant/ pub and great food.

West Meon A272 - just down the road from above. big biker meet place and hosts the Hampshire Jap Cars meets. Great family restaurant/ pub and great food.

Longbridge Mill - Hook/ Sherfield-on-loddon hook pub - Google Maps hosts the Hampshire Jap Cars meets. Great family restaurant/ pub and great food.

probably plenty more

====

Whilst we are on the topic of location, i would say Southampton is not exactly central for the south, its more like south south than south central, but then I am pedantic **** :laugh:... agreed its central east to west, but not north to south :sly:

Just my 2 brake horse power's worth :p

I've come over from the RX8 so I'm familiar with the HJCC and Dorset JCC and the West Meon venue. It's location can encourage driving that attracts attention, but is a good place to drive to.

I'm also a regular at the Goodwood breakfast clubs, another great place to convoy to.

On the 20/2 I'm also going to meet up with my Wessex Group friends from the RX8 meets as although we don't all have 8s anymore, we get on well. That meet's at the Empress of Blandings pub near Ower and they have several car clubs that meet there.

My mate Jim.E is getting a Q5 and may come along to this meet. He's from the Andover area and within Thruxton's boundary for special treatment. Now there's a venue worth a look? He's also like me when it comes to getting meetings set up, thinking of how to raise the profile. We went to the Haynes Motor Museum last year and there's a Pro-Drive Tour coming up.

Although I've gone slightly off topic for this meet, I hope others see the relevance for the future.

Well, The Rose Bowl is available for booking, catering and tours of the ground at weekends. They hold other functions like weddings so it's not appropriate to turn up without a booking. Maybe one to think about if this meet really takes off and becomes regular.

The only pub I know that definitely welcomes car clubs, by prior appointment for catering numbers, is

Empress of Blandings
Romsey Road, Copythorne, Southampton, Hampshire, SO40 2PE
02380 812321
Empress of Blandings - Copythorne  Hampshire

It also gets very busy a round the Rose Bowl due to the shopping retail parks around it , just incase nobody knows ,forget it if theres a match on !! White Swan pub is just down the road which was mentioned , massive car park ,on the river ,food and a Burger van across the road in the evenings. Sunday normally very busy.

ive never been to the rosebowl but im really happy to try new places and the audi dealer is fantastic! stevemiles do you mind me asking why the location counts you out? if more people want to come im sure we can change the venue?

tom

The Rose Bowl is a great venue but only available if you book it and that's in the £100s. I phoned the Audi dealer in Chandlers Ford and it seems the world of car sales there has become very introverted due to limited budgets. He couldn't grasp the benefit of bringing new or 2nd hand demonstrators to a car meet of Audi owners, a captive ready assembled converted to the brand bunch in my eyes.

I'll have a word with my contact at Poole Audi. Does anyone else have any Audi contacts, say around Andover or Fareham/Portsmouth?

Another type of place to meet up are country golf clubs which can be booked to be ready to offer for the numbers involved, e.g. Botley Grange golf club or the Meon Valley. Also National Trust properties like Kingston Lacy House and Gardens between Wimbourne and Blandford, plenty of parking, a cafe and culture for after the car discussions.

All ideas for venues with full details could be posted up on a venues thread?

Poole Audi are members on here, I can't remember the chaps name off hand, but he's always answered my PM's quite promptly.

View Profile: poole audi - Audi-Sport.net

Venue wise, the Barley Mow near Wimborne have contacted me before:

I am writing you this Email to introduce our pub The Barley Mow, we are
based in Colehill just outside Wimborne in Dorset. We have a large tarmac
car park and also a large field for the summer months. We would like to
offer our venue for any car meets that you may require. We can offer a hog
roast, sit down meal, bar snacks or even somewhere to come just to meet up
and have a drink. If you would like more information then you can take a
look at our web site http://www.barleymowinn.com or give us a phone call and
speak to Hannah on 01202882140 who would be more than happy to help.

Ref the topic in hand, I'll try and make an appearance, but it's all work dependent at the moment.

the guys at poole audi have always been really helpful, especially the parts guys. The only problem with a meet there or near would parking issues. Would be good to see you all there this time and we can have a chat with regards to the next one?

Agreed, parking at any Audi dealer is going to be tight. However for (the) future I think that if the venue is appropriate, the local Audi dealer may be persuaded to attend with one or two demonstrators and literature if we were to let them know what sort of Audi we were really looking to get next time.