Forum/Webserver Performance

Thanks for trying to get in touch with people for me.

Fair enough if people have family crisis i can understand them not being around, but this has been going on for coming on 6 months now, and in my opinion, for a site like this, there should be more than one person with the "keys to the door" as it were.

Its simply good practice in IT.

Its also not difficult to reply to an email. Adam did to reply to me when the site was offline saying he'd braught it back online, yet completely ignored the part of the email that mentioned these issues...

I dont want to seem insensitive or pushy, i'd just like some kinda feedback on whats actually going on, rather than stonewalling us, and am offering my assistance to do the move, if that will help.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Kevin

aragorn I am with you on the annoyance on the site being down/twitchy/going fubar
BUT we do not pay for the service so we cannot complain to the people running it.

One would assume so mate, its getting quite pathetic now even if it is a free site, someone needs to take hold of this site & its problems, it really is bad show & Olly cant you get involved with this site again???

I'm assuming the site has sponsors (with regards to the advertising)... I wouldn't have thought they would be happy with forking money out for something that keeps falling over.

Sponsors, what are they, lol, I'd be questioning the validity of the marketing cost if its down often, today its got exception errors all time.

****** site said:
Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 8912896) (tried to allocate 491520 bytes) in /home/audispor/public_html/vb/includes/class_postbit.php(300) : eval()'d code on line 214

Cmon guys, if you need donations, just ask for donations! Id personally give a few quid to stop this crap from occuring constantly!

you know the situation about the site, I have explained many times. Whining more about is not going to sort it faster.

The reason I walked away from the site is because of the people on it and satan will be ice skating to work before I come back.

I shall prod the powers that be, but that that is all I can do and it's all I'm prepared to do

I just signed up and it was a pain to even get that registration mail as the site kept timing out. I am working for a hosting company here in the UK .. I wouldn't have a problem to even sponsor a free server. I would need to know what the website is currently running on so I can make an estimate if a sponsorship is possible.

I am also a vbulletin admin since it was vbb .. One thing I would do for starters, reduce the amount of smilies being displayed when in advanced mode. It takes a while for all those animated smilies to load which doesn't really help on a limited performance server.

I would also look into PHP caching, such as APC (which I normally run my forums on) .. this helps a great deal as well ..

I know I am a newby here .. but if you need a hand / tips let me know...

Edit: damn, thanks God I copied /pasted my post - took three attempts to actually post it ..

Audi-Sport.net is becoming a joke. I go into the A3P forum many times during the day and evening and I'm getting more and more Internet Cannot Connect Error messages or it shows the top of the page and them just sits there for ever. Also quite often event if I do get in and post a reply I get another Internet Error message whenever I try and save the post. I taken to copying everything to the clipboard before click the Submit button because 9 times out of 10 I need to try several times before it works.

It's not my computer or my broadband connection because Audi-Sport.net is the only site I have these problems with.

Are these problems ever going to end or do I need to look for another forum that actually works.

Look else where mate. It's not just the technical side of the forum thats going down the pan.

I think you may be right. The 8P forum now seems to be mostly members trying to make the A3s into something their not and never will be.

I used to really enjoy that particular forum but I not sure any more.

The 8P forum now seems to be mostly members trying to make the A3s into something their not and never will be.

Would you like to expand on that comment?

Would you like to expand on that comment?

This is a purely personal view but I preferred the A3 8P forum when it was members discussing things about their 'normal' A3s. It now seems a lot of members are trying to fit all the latest face-lift headlights, rear lights etc etc to much older A3s to make them look like a current model to just to look different from other A3s. It obviously what the like and want to do which is fine, but of no interest to me what so ever, except that I can sometimes help with my experience of Audi in general and my access to Elsawin and Etka.

This would probably not be so much of a problem if the actual forum worked as it should and did not give me so much frustration just try to access it. I accept that I may be in the minority but that's my view.

This

I think you may be right. The 8P forum now seems to be mostly members trying to make the A3s into something their not and never will be.

I used to really enjoy that particular forum but I not sure any more.

It's also becoming a hang-out for fools, a General Chat forum and a private playspace for some...all of which need to stop.
It's a Forum for A3 owners and those interested in the A3.

I've had several complaints about how that particular Forum is plumetting downhill.
We can only try to improve it!

It's also becoming a hang-out for fools, a General Chat forum and a private playspace for some...all of which need to stop.
It's a Forum for A3 owners and those interested in the A3.

I've had several complaints about how that particular Forum is plumetting downhill.
We can only try to improve it!

I agree completely. It used to be very interesting and a pleasure to visit, but now......

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

As a newish member i would like to respond to this critisism from h5djr and Ess_Three about the forum firstly that it exactly what it says a forum of likeminded individuals interested in their cars, i think that its going downhill !your words not mine! because of two many post being turned into somethink else just like the mod has done with this post it started out as thread about slow server performance and you have turned it into a attack of members who dont share your view, people post on the 8p forum as it has the most people watching it so if your not happy with this then open up a new avenue for modifications and upgrading,and one more rant please try to remember that not all the people on here can afford to go out and buy a new cars so they need to have discussions on here and find out information and this is the perfect place end of rant .
this is not an attack on anyone so please dont be offended its just my opinion like you have yours cheers Ian

As a newish member i would like to respond to this critisism from h5djr and Ess_Three about the forum firstly that it exactly what it says a forum of likeminded individuals interested in their cars, i think that its going downhill !your words not mine! because of two many post being turned into somethink else just like the mod has done with this post it started out as thread about slow server performance and you have turned it into a attack of members who dont share your view,

A very interesting observation for someone who has been a member for 4 months.

But when comparing forum progress, I'm talking about 9 years...not 4 months.

My view is made clear as my view...but basic poor forum discipline and blatent rule breaking and lazyness by 8P users is starting to hack me, and other mods off...so it's going to stop. Whether you happen to like it, or not.

people post on the 8p forum as it has the most people watching it so if your not happy with this then open up a new avenue for modifications and upgrading,and one more rant please try to remember that not all the people on here can afford to go out and buy a new cars so they need to have discussions on here and find out information and this is the perfect place end of rant .

So just because it's busy and people are interested in modifying, we should let it de-generate into a laughing stock?
No. I don't think so...
Rules are rules...and if broken, will be dealt with.

I have no issue with modifications being discussed...it happens in all the forums...but keep it at least semi on-topic...or at least related.
Keep general chat for the general chat section etc...
Funnies in the Funnies section etc...
The 8P A3 users aren't special (actually, some of they really are...) so they stick to the same rules as the rest of us.

...and on that note heliflyer...please remove your Avatar, or replace it with something more suitable. Or I will...
Feel free to re-read the rules if you wish.

this is not an attack on anyone so please dont be offended its just my opinion like you have yours cheers Ian

...and this isn't a personal attack either. It's me doing my job in trying to uphold the rules of the place...the rules I dodn't write, but do try to uphold.

A very interesting observation for someone who has been a member for 4 months.
Ah got it i have to be a long standing member to have an opinion

But when comparing forum progress, I'm talking about 9 years...not 4 months.
as above

My view is made clear as my view...but basic poor forum discipline and blatent rule breaking and lazyness by 8P users is starting to hack me, and other mods off...so it's going to stop. Whether you happen to like it, or not.
i didnt say i like it a agree with alot of it if you read the post correctly

So just because it's busy and people are interested in modifying, we should let it de-generate into a laughing stock?
No. I don't think so...
Rules are rules...and if broken, will be dealt with.i dont have a problem with that if they appy to all

I have no issue with modifications being discussed...it happens in all the forums...but keep it at least semi on-topic...or at least related.
Keep general chat for the general chat section etc...
Funnies in the Funnies section etc...
The 8P A3 users aren't special (actually, some of they really are...) so they stick to the same rules as the rest of us.

...and on that note heliflyer...please remove your Avatar, or replace it with something more suitable. Or I will...
Feel free to re-read the rules if you wish.
i quite agree with you and will remove my avatar immideatly but would you also remove yours as this could also be construde as offensive two fingered salute read your own rule book

...and this isn't a personal attack either. It's me doing my job in trying to uphold the rules of the place...the rules I dodn't write, but do try to uphold.
also fine if it applies to all long standing or short term members

Ah got it i have to be a long standing member to have an opinion

No, not at all.
But when commenting on peoples view that the Forum has been going downhill of late...it helps to have something to compare it to. Not just a few months worth...
That was Dave's point...and it's mine.

i quite agree with you and will remove my avatar immideatly but would you also remove yours as this could also be construde as offensive two fingered salute read your own rule book

I'm very familiar with the rules. Do you really want to go on a crusade against the Mods? It looks that way...not wise.

As for the Avatar...it doesn't breach the rules on this or any other forum. Unlike yours...which is obviously breaking rules.

Nice try...now stop being bitter and move on.

No, not at all.
But when commenting on peoples view that the Forum has been going downhill of late...it helps to have something to compare it to. Not just a few months worth...
That was Dave's point...and it's mine.
so that must be set in stone then if its your opinion

I'm very familiar with the rules. Do you really want to go on a crusade against the Mods? It looks that way...not wise.
Mate i,m not on any crusade with anybody just expressing my opinion so climb off your horse your being just as childish as the people your trying to stop,ie im a mod and i can remove you , grow up

As for the Avatar...it doesn't breach the rules on this or any other forum. Unlike yours...which is obviously breaking rules.

Nice try...now stop being bitter and move on.
i dont get bitter especially to computers.
:end_of_discction:

No, not at all.
so that must be set in stone then if its your opinion

I really don't see why I should defend my - or other Moderators - actions to you...but anyone with a hole in their rear end can see the 8P Forum is turning into a Circus...so we are going to try to stop it.
Because that's what Moderators do...
Not my opinion...but a simple fact.

Mate i,m not on any crusade with anybody just expressing my opinion so climb off your horse your being just as childish as the people your trying to stop,ie im a mod and i can remove you , grow up

Ahh...play the old Moderator card. Nice one.
So it's childish to uphold the rules now is it?
Very mature...