message box width (too small ATM)

Teutonic_Tamer

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted
Reaction score
Is there any chance one of the Admins can increase the width of the message box (the one you actually type in when replying to a post or creating a new thread!).

Two reasons for my suggestion:

1stly, being as you have a large number of smilies on show, I find I constantly need to scroll up and down to review previous posts in the thread. Widening the box should reduce the 9 lines of smilies to perhaps 4 or 5.

2ndly, as ASN uses the latest style of placing poster details at top of each post, rather than the left side like the older versions, increasing the box width should allow a more meaningful WYSIWYG layout when creating posts.

FYI, I use 900px wide on another forum, and it works quite well (but that also places smilies to the right of the box, not below, like on ASN). Maybe 950 or 1000px ???

Have to agree with this one.

With all the talk of CSS and Web standards these days I would have thought this would be possible. The site as a whole is scalable so I don't understand why the reply window is fixed width.

many people have wide screen displays these days so it seems a waste not to use this extra available space.

Having typed this I have to scroll past the (vast) number of smilies to get to the submit button. I personally am not a fan of all these smilies. Some are fine as they help put across emotion and prevent misinterpretation but i think you can have too much of a good thing.

Not a huge problem though.

marms said:
Have to agree with this one.

Thanks

marms said:
With all the talk of CSS and Web standards these days I would have thought this would be possible. The site as a whole is scalable so I don't understand why the reply window is fixed width.

It can be done. vBulletin actually allows site Admins to manually fix the width, hence the last paragraph in my previous post.

Unless ASN uses custom plug-ins which dramatically override or disable some of the basic/default settings!

marms said:
many people have wide screen displays these days so it seems a waste not to use this extra available space.

True, but even on standard 4:3 screens, the wider box would still work, and should still be scaleable for those on lower resolutions.

marms said:
Having typed this I have to scroll past the (vast) number of smilies to get to the submit button. I personally am not a fan of all these smilies. Some are fine as they help put across emotion and prevent misinterpretation but i think you can have too much of a good thing.

Not a huge problem though.

Agreed. I'm not stating it is a "problem", merely trying to make it a but easier to use ASN! :icon_thumright:

I'll have a look at the weekend !