Traders

Tallpaul

Reaction score
Just a quick question...

I've noticed on a few threads (mainly in the A3 8L section) that more and more 'traders' are popping up and posting replies, mainly advertising their own services. Aside from DPM and AMD are any of these companies site sponsers? If not, should their posts be considered spam or are they free to advertise? Some of the more reputable ones such as Forge and Awesome GTI are known widely in the VAG community, it's the smaller less well known companies...

Perhaps there should be a section where they introduce themselves formally to the whole forum before they begin posting in other threads (unless there is such a section and i'm being thick, which is very possible :)).

Good idea and something I sugested ages ago, IMO all posts where the poster is whoring his goods out should be deleted as it steps on the toes of people like Damian/AMD etc who are site sponsors :shrug:

It can be a bit annoying when you start a thread and traders post in it. I don't mind if they are offering good advice but advertising their products is not something i especially like; however i appreciate this site needs financing and for traders that contribute financially to the site i accept that this practice is way of them getting a return from their investment.

After i started this thread i also noticed that Forge are actually banner sponsers (not noticed their banner before... i'm slow).

I just think all sponsers, approved traders or whatever should be formally introduced to the forum by admin in a specific section. That way if anyone is unsure if their thread has been spammed, they can check if the poster has been approved to 'advertise' on the forum :)

I agree totally, it seems some traders pop up solely trying to make a few quid. But I do think its wrong to tar them all with the same brush though.

The likes of DPM and Ross-tech while being site sponsors, are very active and helpful on a wide variety of things. Often offering the advice without the hard sell. There are other posters who are traders but who are also very helpful without ramming products down our throats. I wouldn't want to mention any names there but I'm sure you'll have realised who the good ones are.

I still agree that a formal introduction from these guys would be really useful, maybe similar to the way the detailing guys were introduced when the detailing forum was started..??

Sinny71 said:
But I do think its wrong to tar them all with the same brush though.

I'm not and wouldn't want to. I'm not even suggesting those that may be posting without being site sponsors are 'bad' businesses, they are all probably very good ;) If that is true then why not have them formally introduced so that the whole forum can see exactly who they are and what they can offer :)

The site sponsors section at the bottom is the perfect place. Just a simple thread from admin welcoming the trader and briefly describing what they offer or just linking to their website. That way we all know they're above-board.

I'm not and wouldn't want to.
I wasn't trying to imply that mate. I think its a great idea to have them introduced in a thread or something. Gives previous customers a chance to comment on any good service they have received too.

Lets hope this one is picked up and implimented.

On the old site, it used to be in the T&C's that no advertising whatsoever was allowed. It's not easy to find any such T&C's of use for this site anymore. Not sure if they still apply or not... obviously now the site is sponsored there has to be some perks for the donations...

Unless you sponsor the site then you shouldnt be allowed to advertise in posts, and persistant advertising should result in a ban (imo)

lol, chill out guys. I really started this thread for a response from Admin. I don't want it to descend in to a spitting contest about who should and shouldn't be allowed to post.

Can we hold fire until we've heard the official line? :yes:

can you give me some specific links as to where this is happening ?

thanks, posts have been edited and users warned

please bring anymore to my attention, its quite hard to moderate all the forums sometimes !

d'oh, now i really am a grass!

Would it be possible to in some way generate a list of who is and isn't allowed to commercially post? That way it would be easy to spot when someone is spamming....

Lol. and no-one likes a grass.
In the example you gave it would seem the trader is trying to put right some damage done to his reputation by someone. Admitedly though it should have been done through the correct channels.

Sinny71 said:
Lol. and no-one likes a grass.
In the example you gave it would seem the trader is trying to put right some damage done to his reputation by someone. Admitedly though it should have been done through the correct channels.

TBH, in his instance he's not doing a very good job. Deliberately flammatry posts and spamming aren't making him look any better; never mind that he can't spell ;)

But i didn't start this thread to prevent open discussion on a public forum, just to keep the forum public and prevent it becoming a place for unsolicited spamming.

I'll rest easy tonight knowing law and order has once again been returned to our fair community :busted_cop:

lol, well, AmD and DPM are the only people that should be allowed to post. Only I can post in the group buy section so people will have to come through me 1st.

No need to feel like a grass. Its not fair on the advertisers that pay to advertise when other companies dont :)

Olly_K said:
lol, well, AmD and DPM are the only people that should be allowed to post. Only I can post in the group buy section so people will have to come through me 1st.

No need to feel like a grass. Its not fair on the advertisers that pay to advertise when other companies dont :)

:applaus:

I have been coming on here and helping
When i firsat came on I was asked about advertising , and I have passed the message on to the relevant person in charge of the advertising.
It is something that we do on many forums and hopefully in the future this one too
I have tried NOT to push the company , but have a bit of imput in to what this forum would be like for us to advertise.
If I do push the mark on anything I am hoping that someone will let me know
I have been a service manager for a Skoda dealer for 5 and a half years and also was the only person in that time that did warranty claims while I was there
I have worked in the tuning game too for a couple of years and hopefully I can advise on that too
I never PUSH my believes but pass on my experiences with the said products

I am not here to push anyones nose out of joint , and with us advertising on alot of other VAG forums , I do know that I come accross some of the same people and advertisers from this forum too

Please feel free to give me a shout if anyone feels I have overstepped the mark

Sarah

posting links to your company's website about what colours you do samco hoses for complete with pricing is blatent advertising. The person "in charge" of your advertising obviously doesnt want to pay for advertising on here, so therefore any posts or links that actively promote your website will be deleted.

Don't read too much into it, its not like you've got links to your site and email/phone numbers in your signature, but any promoting of your company without paying is just not fair on the companies that DO pay for advertising.

Olly_K said:
posting links to your company's website about what colours you do samco hoses for complete with pricing is blatent advertising. The person "in charge" of your advertising obviously doesnt want to pay for advertising on here, so therefore any posts or links that actively promote your website will be deleted.

Don't read too much into it, its not like you've got links to your site and email/phone numbers in your signature, but any promoting of your company without paying is just not fair on the companies that DO pay for advertising.
The guy was asking if the £400.00 was cheap for the kit , which I thought was not when the prices was there
That was whaat I was wanting to get over.
I am sorry and I will edit this for you
Sarah

OK so it has already been deleated
Yes I have said that we was in discussions in regards this , and that is what happened
The discussion is still ongoing and I should have a response by the end of the week.
I am the one that goes on the majority of the forums , and I was asked my opinon and it was that it could be worth it , and I still stand at that
Sarah