AH FabricationsBadger5
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You Tube Links

convert from uk-mkivs.net

Status

You Tube Links

As there are soo many You tube links in the general section,
    and its very frustrating to keep opening a topic only to have to then follow another link,

Why dont we set up a You Tube section so you know what to expect?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    I can do, put people will have to link to them still, I can code something which will allow users to post the you tube link and have it display the video in the forum, like I do for the front page with the mini clips ?

6th Gear

Status
    Great Idea
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    S2 Avant (slipper wagon spec)
    A4 AVANT TDI

Administrator

Status
    Without wanting to be a kill-joy, as I think for the most part it'd be pretty cool parsing the URLs to embed the clip in the page; I think there are downsides too...

...The main one being that it could affect the site's usability and performance - From the times the board seems to be busiest I think it's a fair guess that most of the Audi-obsessed petrol-heads on here spend waaay to much time larking about on an Audi forum on the internet than doing their actual job while they're at work () - but YouTube is picked up by any content filter worth its salt; and I'm willing to guess that there are just as many which will block any page with embeded content from YouTube than the number which just block (effectively blanking-out if you will) the embeded object; and I know for a fact that some of them will produce reports in the case of repeated attempts to view blocked content.

Also if you browse on a slower broadband connection, ISDN or Dial-up maybe (although I know this one is unlikely), GPRS etc. the site automatically starting to stream video content would impact browsing speed and potentially cost more money; if people browse by opening multiple browser tabs or browser instances it could be a real memory pig too - of course you'd need to try to avoid opening multiple video pages anyway as you can't watch them all at once, but you can see what I mean, that potentially it has other angles; and how much time does it realistically save? - The poster still has to enter an URL for the clip, and the reader saves one click per video - but possibly finds problems browsing at work (which I suppose I shouldn't really defend, but still...); or bandwidth problems if using a non-standard connection...

Like I say, I really don't want to be a kill-joy, as I'm probably one of the laziest people on the planet when I'm at home, and it's all good to come and check the site for a while with a nice cold drink/cigarette etc. in your non-mouse hand; and having the videos embeded in the page then would be really cool, but I just thought it worth noting that there are maybe other sides to it.

Regards,

Rob.

6th Gear

Status
    good point never thought of that I might have problem with work as you mention
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    S2 Avant (slipper wagon spec)
    A4 AVANT TDI

convert from uk-mkivs.net

Status
    I think its an idea to get them seperated for this reason alone,
    then at least you know which pages not to open when you are on a slow connection or a limited one