Thanks/like system

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Can we get this working again please, it helps people show a respect & thanks towards other members for there input into the forum, it does help with harmony as such IMHO (albeit can also create friction lol) but higher percentage IMHO it does help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Audi Dynamik and Cozza McA
Exactly ! I am missing it myself, I think it would be a good idea to have a poll on this !

Reactions: Pubemammal
I guess 'Narcissists Anonymous' would be inherently self-defeating.

Nige, would you like me to put a nice large (arbitrary and relevant-to-nothing) number somewhere on your profile to make you feel better? Why not just set your user title to 'More thanks than anyone'...? ;p [good spin, btw]

Seriously though, we've taken the 'Thanks' code out of the the site while we're working on shuffling server-stuff around - it *might* be reinstated, but it's been causing problems behind the scenes for some time as the site has grown - put simply, it's not particularly database-friendly, and isn't optimised for large & busy sites; at peak times because of the pretty intensive updating & refreshing it goes through (little to none of which is cached), it was contributing pretty significantly to browsing performance headaches which users have encountered.

We're knee-deep in more critical stuff at the moment, but once things are properly settled-down on our new servers, I'll have a look at the code and see if I can make it less of a resource hog, but I can't make any promises until I've had a good look at it.

There's always the like system, and indeed the reputation system - there are currently no plans to adjust/suspend either of these systems.

If the specific 'Thanks' mod can't be put on a crash diet, we'll look at integrating users' thanks-count with the likes/reputation system, but again, we're not in a position to make promises just now.

All the best,

Rob.

Where's the dislike & thanks, when you need them.

Reactions: Pubemammal, CHEZ and FactionOne
Ha!

...I've just credited you a good whack of reputation points. They might take a while to show in the UI. (But it's all just numbers and pretty colours, anyway!) ;)

R

Reactions: NHN
Oooooooohh, I likey colours and numbers, even better, coloured numbers :hubbahubba:

I'll be honest, its nice to see people respect a person for the work they may put into something on here, whether it be me, you, other members, I wouldn't call myself a self lover as you so well put it, but I'm all for politeness, courteousy & respect for other humans (maybe maturity has take hold these days) & I personally have gone to thank people in the last 4 days or so & thought, balls its gone.

I have watched this system for a while and the effects it has had on the forum & I truly believe it has created more harmony between members, less posts with thanks as just the text, just a quick click of a button shows someone appreciates the info provided, its been, against my own belief upon its release, its a ****** good system, to lose it I think is a mistake, so if you can integrate it again, it would be appreciated.

Question though, doesn't the likes system run along the same systems as the thanks, which is being left working as such, as the likes system does seem to allocate data to profiles etc showing whose liked who, which thread/post liked on etc, are we running into scalability issues as in need better hardware/hosting to be able to handle the sheer size of the site & data added on an hourly basis, just trying to gauge if there is a fix, interms of can be resolved by upgrading something to be able to handle the intensity/pressure put on the systems in use?

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/forum-support/185641-thanks-like-dislike.html

Also whilst you're here, can you take a look at these please?

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/site-support-announcements/186282-notice-daily-email-updates.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/site-s...ce-going-back-page-facebook-cross-domain.html

Oooooooohh, I likey colours and numbers, even better, coloured numbers :hubbahubba:

I'll be honest, its nice to see people respect a person for the work they may put into something on here, whether it be me, you, other members, I wouldn't call myself a self lover as you so well put it, but I'm all for politeness, courteousy & respect for other humans (maybe maturity has take hold these days) & I personally have gone to thank people in the last 4 days or so & thought, balls its gone.
Have a day off, dude. I was poking fun (in my opening). You weren't specifically called anything, and when I got down to business-proper, you'll see I began with "seriously though,..."; however if I touched a nerve, please accept my apologies.

I have watched this system for a while and the effects it has had on the forum & I truly believe it has created more harmony between members
I'd love to see empirical data.

just a quick click of a button shows someone appreciates the info provided
I'm pretty sure if someone really wants to show appreciation, they will; and it could be argued that "just a quick click of a button" is a fairly easy way out.

to lose it I think is a mistake, so if you can integrate it again, it would be appreciated.
It wasn't a mistake; it was done entirely on purpose, for the reasons set out above. Likewise, before you even mentioned it, our options for trying to reinstate it, or somehow include the stats elsewhere, were assessed - also set out above.

Question though, doesn't the likes system run along the same systems as the thanks, which is being left working as such
No.

the likes system does seem to allocate data to profiles etc showing whose liked who, which thread/post liked on etc
If someone likes your post, you receive a notification in the drop-down up top (as I'm sure you probably know); the only difference is that it isn't plastered all over the postbit (the summary of profile elements beneath your name in a post), nor tracked in your detailed profile.

In other words, when someone 'likes' your post - you're notified i) that someone appreciates your contribution, and ii) exactly which contribution they appreciate. If it's not a ******* contest, I can't see how that falls meaningfully short.

are we running into scalability issues as in need better hardware/hosting to be able to handle the sheer size of the site & data added on an hourly basis, just trying to gauge if there is a fix, interms of can be resolved by upgrading something to be able to handle the intensity/pressure put on the systems in use?
As of this week, we've more than doubled our server capacity, with various workloads now spread across multiple machines; that constitutes a significant investment of both money, and time - in fact (as you might've noticed the odd hiccup), we're still not finished with the time part, and there are a some creases still to be ironed out - this is what I was driving at when I said "we're knee-deep in more critical stuff at the moment".

To answer your specific query, yes, we could probably just switch the 'Thanks' system back on if we threw enough hardware and bandwidth at it, but it seemed a bit over the top to buy IBM and Cable & Wireless to keep it going, particularly when:

a) Turning it off might not be permanent anyway - again, we're already considering ways to reintegrate it.
b) As demonstrated, the likes system isn't all that much different - on the points which matter.

As regards your links:

1) It's practically a mirror of this discssion. Link that to this if you like.
2) I believe Adam has been discussing this with you.
3) Honestly have no idea - hate facebook with a passion, don't use it, and consequently know next to nothing about it :) (I will however speak to my facebook-fluent colleauge) I'd wager that a work-around (if it's a royal PITA) would be to a) use a better browser (IE? Your background's IT, right? You should be ashamed :p ), b) for the moment, see if disabling the link between ASN and your facebook account improves things, c) a combination of the two.

Much love,

R

Can we get this working again please, it helps people show a respect & thanks towards other members for there input into the forum, it does help with harmony as such IMHO (albeit can also create friction lol) but higher percentage IMHO it does help.

Also, is there a way that we can 'dislike' people for not answering PMs? :whistle2: