Quick Fix for the SPAM issue

SCN use features such as disabling linking and pictures etc until after 15 posts... maybe this would discourage spammers too?

While you are at it, perhaps enable the image resize feature SCN has too ;P

<tuffty/>

Seems the problem can be massively reduced by enabling "Question and Answer" verification as part of the signup procedure, rather than relying on recaptcha like we are at the moment.

See here:

Increased Spamming Attempts and Ways to Combat It

Its probably worth a pop?

We have the verification procedure in place but currently not enabled as Admin were snowed under by having to verify new members and chose not give us mere moderators the task of doing it,were okay for editing posts and removing spam though.

Its a standard feature, it just needs turned on in the admin CP as detailed in that thread.

Would take all of 30seconds, and would mean theres not eleventy billion new members to verify in the first place.

Edit: actually i think you missunderstand what this mod does, it doesnt mean the admin has to verify every new user,

It means that instead of the current automated turing test which displays fuzzy words and you need to type them correctly, it asks a question which only a human can answer correctly.

For instance the question might be "How many rings are in the audi logo?" if you answer Four or four or 4 then your allowed to register, if you dont the registration is blocked.

Last edited:
Its a standard feature, it just needs turned on in the admin CP as detailed in that thread.

Would take all of 30seconds, and would mean theres not eleventy billion new members to verify in the first place.

Edit: actually i think you missunderstand what this mod does, it doesnt mean the admin has to verify every new user,

It means that instead of the current automated turing test which displays fuzzy words and you need to type them correctly, it asks a question which only a human can answer correctly.

For instance the question might be "How many rings are in the audi logo?" if you answer Four or four or 4 then your allowed to register, if you dont the registration is blocked.

I'm with you brother but our hands are tied

So the dictators sorry i mean Admin cannot be assed to sort out the problem on their own site as usual and since they are to afraid to give any power or control to people willing to be on site moderators yet another problem that doesn`t happen normally on other forums and could easily be resolved continues ....

Its fixed now, Thanks Rob!

Lets just hope the change helps reduce the spammers registering! If not i guess we can tweak the questions a bit until it does.