TQS progress thread, From STD-Scroll-Eliminator.

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well she is here, i cannot afford the T3. So hybrid it will have to be.
100_4966.jpg

The hot side had been repaired and a new wastegate arm and flapper installed. The machining as always is second to none.
100_4969.jpg

The cold side has a slightly different trim to it so should spool a little sooner the turbo on the SET.

I sorted injectors but the guy dissapeared off the planet so i started a Paypal dispute and sourced some more, Look what was at the post office waiting for me..... I need a V8 huh!

Last edited:
What sort of power should you see with this and at what sort of boost?

Hoping for around 260/270 with the injectors and a proper tuner.

no need to push any harder than 22 PSI Sean @ Scroll says. He is the man, so what he says goes.

Mark i knew you had to have a little something lined up.. You just can't leave thing's alone, well done..

I keep thinking i would probably be better going for one of them instead of the t3/t28 route. Bolt on and with some other mods gives decent power. Would be an easier way to go i think.

Mark i knew you had to have a little something lined up.. You just can't leave thing's alone, well done..

Always do matey !!

Though i do like to strike a bargain so would rather wait until the price is right than push too hard.

I do fancy that T3 thats on the Bay, but unless i can sell this for the same money i will stay with this. I know it will do 250 on standard parts as i have already done that

Only 250 ?. I'v had my car a full year now a still only standard power, you have had your's four/five week's and is going tobe pushing 250. As a said before
change Byzan to Speedy Gonzales...

Last edited:
lol!

My motors still in scotland, and is missing its:

AFM
Starter
Lambdas
Downpipes
ICM's

And probably a pile of other stuff.

Although If you fancy fitting all that as well as a new timing belt, then you can borrow it for 6 months :p

Excellent.. should be fitted by now eh?! ;)

Take it you only bought 4 injectors?.. Sure somebody on here will take the remaining 4 off your hands.

If ian52 wants a hybrid and you want the T3 then why doesn't ian52 buy your hybrid for about the price of the T3 and everybody's happy?

Good price for a brand new Outlaw.

Ha ha, i think I am going to stay Hybrid. Will look at a GT series one day.

That T3 will flow better at high RPM than mine but i don't want a turbo i need to push all the time to get anything from it. My hybrid has a slightly larger tip width due to them usinf a different casting than before, so should be all good.

Ha ha, i think I am going to stay Hybrid. Will look at a GT series one day.

That T3 will flow better at high RPM than mine but i don't want a turbo i need to push all the time to get anything from it. My hybrid has a slightly larger tip width due to them usinf a different casting than before, so should be all good.

That mean you've got to go bespoke TIP then or is it internal diameter/bore that's increased?

Internal bore i believe.

From Sean regarding the T3 too
As for the turbo pictured in ebay the AR on the hotside is large and will flow proper at higher RPM. This setup is "lipstick on a pig" T3 being the pig as it does a decent job but lets call it what it is "old". If you want an efficient system look into the GT28 before going this route as the quick spool and low-end torque will not be the same. The GT turbine shaft is 20% more efficient than any T-shaft , Garrett or K Series.

The turbo we sent is almost identical to the outlaw, difference being this K04 shaft has a wider casting allowing for a slightly larger tip width.

I see.. cool then.

As long as they've not bored the turbo intake any further to achieve it as I'd imagine the walls would be very thin if they did.

Can't lose at this price mate :shutup2:

Serios, whack the manifolds into a box and send em to me, i will get em done down here for ya ASAP And ship em back when done. You can use the spare time to remove the FMIC for me, he he he he

may i ask where you got the turbo hybridised? and a price if you dont mind? i've been looking at cr turbos

Is that a typo! $600 or did you mean £ or euroes? What mods did you or have you currently got. FMIC, 3" turbo back exaust etc. I know you needs the pumps injectors.

I meant Dollars.

It will have FMIC , 3 DP, S4 65mm exhaust system,injectors and a THS style exhaust manifold, 4 bar FPR and a custom tune . I am looking to NET around 260 - 270 BHP

was the $600 on an exchange rate? "you send them yours they send you a hybrid", type of thing?

Looks like a good price, cheaper than here in the uk.
what are they like as a company?

I have some added info. I had the 6.4 last time, this time it's the 7.6mm.Not sure what traits that will bring..

46x42x8mm K04-015 (clipped tip)
50x42x6.4mm (S3 TT)
50x42x7.6mm (non VAG)
50x46x_._mm (RS6)

Please make sure to mention we are not building "outlaw" upgrades from K03 turbos, only K04. The time required to alter a K03 is astronomical and we no longer have the time at our new workshop as the day to day rebuild work is hectic.

It'll never work.. says non VAG mate :haudrauf: lol

Santa Pod should be very interesting next year :icon_thumright:

They dont do k03's though so thats me and you of it plunky.

i'm gettin quite confused with this whole hybrid thing, emailed the guy at scroll products and hes saying he cant produce a hybrid ko3 with the complete ko4 internals, he can only change the compressor wheel or something?
what is the spec of your new turbo Byzan a4? is it a ko4 originally or ko3? what bhp can be had out of it.
i ideally want 280bhp but the guy from scroll said i will have to go big turbo for this as its not possible with the hybrid. I have seen badger mapping cars with the ko3 hybrid to around 270-280bhp??

From marks email above, it seems like the guy doesnt have the time (or cant be *****) doing the machining required to build an "outlaw" spec turbo from the smaller K03 core.

I think that will the full on spec of hybrid that mark has, 280hp would be the absolute max achievable, with everything else spot on, going by the sizes or the turbine and compressor fitted. I suspect it will make something more like 260-270hp in reality.

I dont honestly thing theres any point in messing with the lesser hybrids, if your going to do that you may as well just get yourself a standard turbo from a BEX engined B6 and be happy with the 230hp it gives you.

If you can find a cheap knackered K04 then perhaps getting scroll to rebuild that would be the cheapest way to get an Outlaw, but otherwise, T28 or larger is the way to go.

I have an a3, i dont know if this makes a difference regarding the fitment of the turbo compared to the a4 but the reason i am going hybrid on the smaller turbo is, if i go for the k04 i will have to change alot more items such as the downpipe and make a custom item as this comes off the turbo at a different angle. so going for the k03/s will be a stock fitment but also having the power of the ko4.
i have spoken to a very good company not too far from me who can take the ko3/s turbo, machine it out and put the ko4 internals in it.
I thought scroll would be able to do this, but it all seems to be a bit more complicated than just changing the internals for the ko4 ones.

I think it's a time issue due to back log of moving very recently.

Mine is machined, they even changed the WG Flapper which is rare in itself.

Sorry mate, they have always been there for me.

maybe thats the case, have you always had the k04 hybridised by them?

dont worry i wont! ha ha
did your car come with the k04 as standard then? not up to scratch on the a4s, thought they were the same as the a3.
also, the spare yellow injectors you have..pm me if you fancy letting them go :)

Indeed i will, as soon as i get the set back form cleaning with a full bill of health then these are up for grabs for what i paid.

The A4 is much the same yes, k03,k03s and none ever actually came fitted with a k04 from the factory. It was a Borgwarner's idea to produce a bolt on upgrade. We are buying dead K04-15's and shipping them to scroll to have the internals changed. Although it does seem despite the aparent size upgrade they are not quite RS6 sized like the CR hybrid. I will enquire if it's a machining issue or something.