Need help with changing my impulse sensor!!

Mark Hopkins

AUDI S3, REVO MAPPED 260 bhp
Reaction score
hi guys,i am trying to put on a new impulse sensor on my s3, but it is turning out to be very fiddly!!! there doesn't seem to be alot of room to move, and as you can't see the bolt that goes through it, it makes it more difficult.
do i need to remove the turbo boost pipe, or the oil filter to create more space, and does anybody know what kind of bolt it is attached with.
your help would be much appreciated.
thanx
mark

Im not sure what you mean by impulse sensor... where is it?

it comes up on the vag com as a g28 engine speed sensor, and is located by the side of the oil filter.

Crank position sensor. It's just a pig to do. Should be a 10mm head with a 5mm allen socket too. So you can use either a rachet spanner or a ball head allen key. When I last swapped mine I went at it from below, but I don't have the incercooler cross pipe. I didn't remove the filter either. You will have to break it to get it out once the bolt is removed. They are always stuck tight. I used a panel fork to get it out.

thanks HTC:thumbsup:

round 2 tommorow!! lol

Hey guys, I have had my 03' Audi A4 Quattro for a little under a year and I am new to the world of car repair. Saw this thread and was wondering if you guys could tell me if there is anything special to changing the cam position sensor on a 2003 A4 Quattro 3.0. I want to learn to do it myself and not pay a mechanic a ton of money!

Thanks