FLAT BOTTOM STEERING WHEEL FOR SALE

Ash B

Reaction score
Hi

I know we all are always on the look out for bargains so thought let you all know about this steering whee on ebay. The guy will accept £350 for the steering wheel which has an air bag with it. And is Mutifcunction Steering Wheel, if interior wasnt last on my list i'd buy it:keule:
I would say there always next time but i doubt i'll see another one of these steering wheels for that price.

Check the link out:thumbsup:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120481010317&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123

I already posted that in the " Post your e-bay finds here" thread above......Seemed like the place to put it. Bye the way, he has 2 for sale

Audi have told me that if you swap the steering wheel from a standard to a FBMFSW the Airbag probably won't work do to an incompatible Steering wheel ECU. Is this true or don't they know what they're talking about? I;ve been told that the airbag light will come on which may/may not be possible to switch off in vagcom but the airbag will not work regardless?

cheers.....

Hi

Audi are chatting bubbles :) Loads of the guys on here have swapped them and im pretty sure if the airbag wouldnt work properly none of the guys would of done it. The airbags will work fine if the steering wheel if connected properly

Audi have told me that if you swap the steering wheel from a standard to a FBMFSW the Airbag probably won't work do to an incompatible Steering wheel ECU. Is this true or don't they know what they're talking about? I;ve been told that the airbag light will come on which may/may not be possible to switch off in vagcom but the airbag will not work regardless?

cheers.....

You do need a different steering module module for the controls as stated but I also read that the airbag will indeed not work if you have an older A3. The original system was single action, the FBMFSW uses a two action system.

Well hopefully i wont ever have to find out :)

Oh, and you need a new slip ring also, which i happen to have a spare of for sale ;)

You do need a different steering module module for the controls as stated but I also read that the airbag will indeed not work if you have an older A3. The original system was single action, the FBMFSW uses a two action system.

Would that not show up on the dash and as a fault code ?

No, cause basically one of the airbag circuits is connected to the single stage airbag circuit so it thinks its all hunk dory, I intend to test a theory by disconnecting the circuits independently & see which one is used with this mod.

Oh Great....wish someone had mentioned this before i fitted mine .......:( you would think Audi might have said something when they fitted it !

how much do the control modules go for and where can you pick one up?

Oh Great....wish someone had mentioned this before i fitted mine .......:( you would think Audi might have said something when they fitted it !

Should have asked beforehand mate, I would of said if you'd contacted me mate, before audi tore you a new rse, lol

how much do the control modules go for and where can you pick one up?

Audi aprox £180, can get cheaper though.

Yea well funnily enough swopping one air bag for another, it never occured to ask if an A3 8P air bag on an A3 8P steering wheel would work on an A3 8P....:faint:

Looks like the fuC*%ing thing is coming off again !! ******** if i am going to stick my teeth in the dash board just for a pretty steering wheel :)

Fair point but is your driving that bad :undwech:

I intend on upgrading my airbag system anyway, but this has never worried me at all.

Don't matter how good your driving is !! Its the other ******* that will get you !

To be honest mate i am a bit ****** off with this car ! it has the dreaded 3.2 misfire at 2k rpm now and along with 6 other owners now, we know Audi cant fix it !!...its cost me £2.5k in 2 years in garage bills. Its devalued the price of a new Micra SE in those 2 years.....the RNSE has been crap ( radio) now i find the air bag fit is faulty. Even at 3 years old it cost me more than a brand new civic R and its probably not as good.......Audi dealers have been crap from the day i picked it up with the door lock bust out of it too the £400 they charged me to re map the DSG when it developed a "know fault" that had been reported so many times they had a download ready and waiting !! !!

This thread has changed my mind about doing this, so thanks for flagging it! I'd be pretty ****** off if the airbag didn't work in a crash (provided I was still alive to be ****** off!). And say it was someone else who was driving your car when the airbag didn't go off becuase of what is effectively just a cosmetic mod...

I'll save the £500 odd and put it towards some new wheels!

Yea, my thoughts MG ! Just wish i had known..i could have saved a £1k +.

there is a moral here though ! dont mess with ya car :) It will cost you a lot of money, its mostly a waste of time and you WILL get less back than if it was Std when ya sell it....Live and learn :lmfao:

Yea, my thoughts MG ! Just wish i had known..i could have saved a £1k +.

there is a moral here though ! dont mess with ya car :) It will cost you a lot of money, its mostly a waste of time and you WILL get less back than if it was Std when ya sell it....Live and learn :lmfao:

Well aren't you just boring :undwech:

Me !!! Boring, I'm the most interesting bloke i know :yahoo: did you know your airbag is useless? or is it just me ?:yes:

Holy mother of god! I can't believe that having a wonky shaped steering wheel commands such costs!:faint:

Oh its easy...500 for the wheel ,100 for the controller and slip ring, 240 for vagcom to try and get it to work, 300 to audi so they can try to get it to work......350 for a new lap top so i can get vagcom out too the car...

I was going to advertise the original wheel this week.....****** glad i didn't now as i obviously cant sell the car knowing the airbag is duff. Dont suppose the insurance would pay out in a crash either.

does this all depend on what year model car it is. is there a cut-off year where a straight swap would work? Does it also matter which model car the steering wheel came from i.e. would an A5 wheel work on an A3?

Glad I brought it up as Audi have always said it wouldn't work without a new module whislt others were saying all you might need in addition to the wheel is a slip ring.

How do you know what module you need? I guess you obviously can't recode your existing module.

I would gladly swap out the FBSW from mine, so over rated. Sure it is pretty to look at, but if you actually value driving a car leave it well alone. For the reasons above it has stayed put, otherwise I would have gladly traded it out. I would suggest that anyone thinking of one should really try and get an extended drive in a car fitted with one - particularly through some twisties.

Oh its easy...500 for the wheel ,100 for the controller and slip ring, 240 for vagcom to try and get it to work, 300 to audi so they can try to get it to work......350 for a new lap top so i can get vagcom out too the car...

Pat thats not typical costs to many of us, audi of course shafted you big time because of there imcompetence of fairly straight forward job, so thats not a normal expense to people that have fitted, also vagcom is a great tool to use going forward but of course I wouldnt say this was neccessarry if you had someone else local to you to code the car, more of an addition to the car overall not specifically for the fbmfsw mod & laptop is same as vagcom really, I'd say in your situation it was more specific to you than the majority of people fitting these

does this all depend on what year model car it is. is there a cut-off year where a straight swap would work? Does it also matter which model car the steering wheel came from i.e. would an A5 wheel work on an A3?

Glad I brought it up as Audi have always said it wouldn't work without a new module whislt others were saying all you might need in addition to the wheel is a slip ring.

How do you know what module you need? I guess you obviously can't recode your existing module.

It is fine from 05 cars onwards that have the shield shaped steering wheel as this was the start of the dual stage controller/airbags on the 8P, lets not get carried away here huh & I would say most people who have modded this were aware of the airbag concerns, I know I was & anyone that asked me about the airbag would have been told of the differences.

You need to ask audi parts what steering module you have & slip ring, comes up under your vin, 3 minute call to audi will sort that out, also vagcom scan will advise on steering module.

I would gladly swap out the FBSW from mine, so over rated. Sure it is pretty to look at, but if you actually value driving a car leave it well alone. For the reasons above it has stayed put, otherwise I would have gladly traded it out. I would suggest that anyone thinking of one should really try and get an extended drive in a car fitted with one - particularly through some twisties.

No reason why you cant swap yours out mate, yours is an 06 onwards car so dual stage anyway, wont be any issues afaik with yours.

...No reason why you cant swap yours out mate, yours is an 06 onwards car so dual stage anyway, wont be any issues afaik with yours.

Thanks Nigel, that is good to know. Whilst you are in the FBSW zone, can you confirm that the facelift fbsw is skinned/covered in a different material from the pre-facelift? The reason I ask is I hands on one the other week and I swear it felt different. Mine is smooth leather feel and this was a 'kind of' suede/alcantara effect. I could however been completely mistaken...:think:

Huh, thats new to me mate, the only alcantara wheels I've known of are from the old B5 RS4 & I had 2, one on my S3 & one on my B6 S4, loved them man, great cause in summer wasnt boiling hot & winter wasnt cold, lol.

Doesnt mean they havnt added this to facelift, I will check etka then as I've just replaced mine for an RS6 fbmfsw & to say the least its magnificent, thicker, better grip & much nicer to drive with.

I'll be peeved if they have changed these recently as alcantara is my overall choice of material

I hope that my description of the material isn't sending us down the wrong road on this, as I am sure that it isn't actually alcantara, but it ceratainly felt different. Yeah it would be interesting to see what ETKA says for sure, mainly for my own sanity. :wacko: TIA.

Credit on the RS6 number mate, I saw a thread on this a few weeks/month ago now and could see that the dimensions looked far more appealing :icon_thumright:.

Just to straighten a couple of things....now i have calmed down :yes:

First...I have spent the last 30 years racing and doing ****** silly things on motorbikes ! What the F"*%k do i want an airbag for ??
Second...Vagcom is a ****** excellent thing and the man in the street is lucky to have access to this sort of kit. Dont take my purchase costs as a criticism, on the contrary, I would buy it again if i lost it :yes:
Third....Let me know if anyone finds a way to get the bag to work......( yea i know, stick her on the bus )

lmfao, I do like your overall attitude to life pat, lol, works for me mate, to the point & get on with it.

I will update as you know with any changes I make with airbag system

I also checked etka for MY10 & cant see any reference to alcantara with colour codes or pr codes mate, just says leather, so god knows what mushrooms you had that day mate lol

Last edited:
You would think that Audi might have used a different connector for a different system . The old and new wheel have identical conectors !

EDIT..I am pretty sure i went to alcantara on holiday. Cant say i noticed what colour it was though...

Last edited:
the trick is knowing if your changes to the airbag module have worked without actually firing it LOL

Ah you see I have faith in my work, lol

Yeah read that when it was 1st posted, makes you wonder how he got the car in that position though, lol

You would think that Audi might have used a different connector for a different system . The old and new wheel have identical conectors !

EDIT..I am pretty sure i went to alcantara on holiday. Cant say i noticed what colour it was though...

You crack me up Pat, lol.

Anyway back on cue, lol, old wheel has only 1 connector on airbag given it was single stage, but your new one has 2 connectors on the airbag, orange & green.