Mercedes SLK 320 - Dodo'd

Jimmeh

Reaction score
The SLK was a relatively new purchase, and, had just returned from a 2000 mile trip round France. Nice.

Hoping to go in with a bit of an ‘Enhance and Protect’ style spec, I opted for DoDo Juice Limeprime and a Megs yellow polishing pad. This knocked out ~50% of the hazy surface swirls – unfortunately, there were a fair few deeper marks that wouldn’t be corrected this time round..

Product
* AutoGylm Glass Polish
* AutoSmart G101
* AutoSmart Bio Brisk
* AutoSmart Tardis
* Autosol
* ChemicalGuys JetSEAL901
* Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
* Dodo Juice Limeprime
* Dodo Juice Purple Haze
* LTT Auto Ultra Foam
* LTT Auto Ultra Protect
* Meguiars All-Season Dressing
* Meguiars Last Tough
* Meguiars Super-Degreaser
* Meguiars Wheel-Brightener
* Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
* Zaino Z8

How the car looked when I arrived:

DSC06480wd.jpg

And then how the car looked some 7 hours later:

DSC06720iwd.jpg

So, get the kit out, set up and take a good look around..

DSC06482wd.jpg

DSC06484wd.jpg

DSC06485wd.jpg

DSC06487wd.jpg

DSC06496wd.jpg

DSC06488wd.jpg

DSC06490wd.jpg

DSC06491wd.jpg

Not too bad.. Will have a better idea when it’s ‘clean’ though.

As per, the wheels were worked on first.

DSC06497wd.jpg

DSC06493wd.jpg
DSC06510wd.jpg

DSC06517wd.jpg

Not many photos from this stage.. I actually took a fair few, but, silly me, I’d left the exposure compensation thing on real low (as previous shots had lots of sun glare in! – D’oh!)

Basically, Super-Degreaser onto the tyres and caliper (Which was pretty caked up..), G101 into the arches and Wheel-brightener deep into the rim and shot in behind the spokes of the alloy. Agitated with a whole array of brushes and mitts.

Once all four sides were clean, I had to shift the car forward a foot or two to access the area that sat behind that chunky caliper. *grr*

DSC06519wd.jpg

I took a look round the engine bay and thought it could do with a once over, too..

DSC06521wd.jpg

DSC06522wd.jpg

DSC06524wd.jpg

DSC06528wd.jpg

Again, cleaned with a Super-Degreaser/G101 mash-up and various ‘detailing’ brushes. Rinsed. Dried. Dressed (later on whilst garaged..)

DSC06684wd.jpg
DSC06679wd.jpg

DSC06682wd.jpg

DSC06678wd.jpg

(Megs All-Season dressing used on this occasion)

Before getting too far ahead of myself with the body wash, I went round a few areas with surplus APC to shift the French bugs..

DSC06529wd.jpg

DSC06531wd.jpg

DSC06532wd.jpg

(Bumper, wing-mirror, lower bonnet, roof lip etc)

Then, after five minutes of trying to wake the Karcher up, I delivered the first of two snowfoam’s to soften the dirt.

DSC06537wd.jpg

DSC06539wd.jpg
DSC06540wd.jpg

Before this stage, the door shuts were cleaned (same process as engine-bay really (minus the dressing!))

Once I was happy that the window rubbers, joins, seals and crevices were clean, I filled the two buckets and loaded some Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild.

DSC06544wd.jpg

Re-foamed, and, delivered the wash with a Megs Lambswool washmit.

DSC06546dwwd.jpg

To rid of the ‘standing water’ after the wash, and, ensure the panel gaps etc had no suds in, I did some ‘sheeting’ with an open-hose:

DSC06549wd.jpg

DSC06551wd.jpg

Sonus Green Clay was used to lift the embedded contaminants.. To touch, the car wasn’t too bad; just the odd rough section here and there.

DSC06557wd.jpg
DSC06560wd.jpg

Usual spots where tar build-up occurs were checked and cleaned with AutoSmart Tardis… Nothing too drastic.

The front bumper had a small scrape - red paint had been left with a couple of scuffs.

DSC06581wd.jpg

DSC06582wd.jpg

Tardis was used to shift the paint, but, Limeprime wasn’t able to clean much of the scuff up I’m afraid. Next time, Menzerna will on the case.

More beading..

DSC06564wd.jpg

(Only means one thing, more sheeting!)

Once dry, the sun gave a helping hand in inspecting the paintwork:

DSC06565wd.jpg

DSC06569wd.jpg
DSC06576wd.jpg

DSC06578wd.jpg

After a bit of a taping session and the odd jaffa cake, I’d started with the small pad work.. SFX2 with Limeprime..

DSC06583wd.jpg

This included the A & C Pillars, the tailgate, the front/rear bumpers and the wing-mirrors.

I then stepped up to a larger Megs yellow polishing pad, secured to the Gloss-IT backing plate (which I’m still quite enjoying..)

The boot-lid before:

DSC06588wd.jpg

The boot-lid after:

DSC06587wd.jpg

Lots of deeper marks remained, but, time wasn’t on my side and major/minor correction wasn’t on the ‘to do’ list this time round.

DSC06593wd.jpg

DSC06597wd.jpg

Still, can’t complain at that! Well done Limeprime.

DSC06601wd.jpg

I was having a few troubles with the sun-glare for my photos... Introducing my shades helped mask the glare a bit..

Before/After (not the best example..)

DSC06611wd.jpg
DSC06610wd.jpg

50/50

DSC06618wd.jpg

It then clouded over, (thankfully the machining had been finished) so, the Merc was tucked up inside for a few hours…

Wax on: (Dodo Juice Purple Haze)

DSC06630wd.jpg

Wax off:

DSC06631wd.jpg

DSC06638wd.jpg

DSC06639wd.jpg

DSC06646wd.jpg

Exhaust tip cleaned with Autosol:

DSC06648wd.jpg

DSC06649wd.jpg

DSC06650wd.jpg

To further clean the boot sills, I had to ‘raise the roof’, so to speak.

DSC06652wd.jpg

At the same time, the rear window was polished with AutoGlym Glass Polish.

Moving on to the interior, I start with the door-cards..

DSC06660wd.jpg

DSC06661wd.jpg

A bit of a 50/50 going on, but, nothing too special.

I then have a go with my latest purchase, LTT Leather Auto Ultra kit..

DSC06665wd.jpg

In here, is the Dye Transfer kit (for an upcoming BMW Z4..), the clean foam, protect, and, maintain.

DSC06667wd.jpg
DSC06668wd.jpg

Not quite what I was expecting? Can’t give too many thoughts on my first go, but, the seats were left clean and, well, clean!! So, that’s all that matters (protected of course, too!)

DSC06671wd.jpg

DSC06676wd.jpg

Some more wiping around with APC was done, a bit of hovering and Bio Brisk into, and, off of the floor mats.. Interior done.

It was about this time I then dressed the engine bay. But, you’ve see that already, so, moving on..

DSC06685wd.jpg

Alloys were sealed to help prevent further build up. Tyres dressed, and, window polished. A light Z8 wipedown was given to remove my grubby finger prints, and, we’re finished.

A few final shots outside..

DSC06686wd.jpg

DSC06689wd.jpg

DSC06692wd.jpg
DSC06718wd.jpg

DSC06694wd.jpg

DSC06690wd.jpg

DSC06696wd.jpg

DSC06698wd.jpg

DSC06708wd.jpg

DSC06713wd.jpg
DSC06672wd.jpg

DSC06716wd.jpg

DSC06720wd.jpg

DSC06725wd.jpg

DSC06726wd.jpg

DSC06728wd.jpg
DSC06729wd.jpg

DSC06722wd.jpg

7 hours (and around..) 30 minutes spent on this one.

Very good.

Thanks for reading!

Jim.

Jim great work once again! Its amazing how much difference the paint work and car overall looks after a good detailing. Great write up as always.

Thanks. I was going to do the "A-Team" photo again, but, I felt a bit silly by myself lol

Thanks. I was going to do the "A-Team" photo again, but, I felt a bit silly by myself lol

:lmfao: Now that would of been quite funny! But i can understand you feeling silly by yourself lol! You and Nate got any more plans to join forces and tackle any more cars?

:lmfao: Now that would of been quite funny! But i can understand you feeling silly by yourself lol! You and Nate got any more plans to join forces and tackle any more cars?

Depends if you're willing to bring the A3 over from Cardiff ;)

Nothing in the diary yet, but, Im sure theres a few more lined up already.

Depends if you're willing to bring the A3 over from Cardiff ;)

Nothing in the diary yet, but, Im sure theres a few more lined up already.

I think i may have to lol. Just need to sort a few things out and she ready for a good detailing. But it wont be till about december or january.
So closer to the time i'll get in touch with you both. Keep up the good work Jim:thumbsup:

Nice job!.

I know I shouldnt like those, as I'm male............ but I do :)