1.8T AEB 1996 Turbo removal - how long to do

Fraser

Reaction score
My turbo has gone, suspect the wastegate is screwed / stuck open as I have no boost - have changed out the DV, N75, pressure tested and MAF - still down on power by approx 30bhp i.e. feels like a normal NA 1.8

Can I change it out in situ? if so how long do you reckon?

Had the headlight, airbox and hoses to the turbo all off at the weekend and looks like I might be able to get to all the bolts etc

expect I will see some oil spillage?

Not gone this far on the car before, but not afraid of having a go, only reservation is my garage is a bit small so space is limited!

Cheers

Make sure you spray the Cat to DP nuts with WD40 or similar before you start. You will lose msot of the water and oil, assuming you remove the oil rerturn pipe at the sump as the other end is ****** awkward at best.

I have it to a fine art now and can swap them in around 2 hrs, so allow 2 hrs to remove and you will be fine.

Thanks Mark

will prep for that and will have the pans and some patience at the ready :zen:

hi there ,did this job last week if you take your time its not to bad ,just get it on some ramps ,as i striped parts off i degreased and cleaned them ready for the refit .
i used a company called ar turbos for my turbo repair they were very professional,it only took me 20 mins from start to finish to take my turbo off !! dont know what mark was doing.....(only jokeing mark ) not a bad job mate .

Got round to taking the turbo off, was doing it all from the top apart from taking the nuts off from the oil sump.

Broke one of the manifold bolts in half despite spraying liberally with WD40 on all the main nuts.

Took me 3 hours from the top as I spent around an hour trying to get onto that third bolt to cat on the bottom - ******* thing! got in the end after bashing down the heat shield - not too bad considering I was using my grandfathers old tools and my best B&Q socket set, lol :)

anyway, can you tell whats up? couple of things wrong with the unit...

IMG_7361.jpg

IMG_7365.jpg

IMG_7364.jpg

wastegate actuator arm is snapped and the wastegate penny is missing - could not see far enough into the cat to see if was in there.

Will be shipping off to Turbo Technics to see if they can repair - the turbine is pretty solid, no play in the shaft at all.

cheers for the removal tips

New actuator will fix the snapped bit no problems, question is wether they can get the parts to replace the penny valve.

just get an exhaust housing from somebody with a goosed turbo and yours will be fine.

Same thing that happened to mine, the valve was in the cat and then 10 months later my cat fell apart possibly caused by that hitting something.

new forge actuator from awesomegti is £105

new wastegate penny - who knows!

will be on the phone to TT on Monday to see what sort of fix they may be able to do, when I talked to them on Friday they said the actuator is not something they usually fix, so will see.

on the secondhand turbo stuff, I am kind of wary as I want to be able to count on it, so will see what the ones on ebay look like then decide

new turbo on its way to me now, previous one was beyond repair

question - do i need to renew any of the piping oil, coolant or boost as part of the swop?

i am replacing the gaskets and a couple of bolts already

what do you recommend for cleaning?

for replacement do you mean this? i.e. the metal flexi end of the solid oil feed line or the whole thing?

aebturbo.jpg

"17" is the whole thing, it doesnt come apart.

Basically it can get clogged up with sh*te and restrict the oil supply to the turbo. Its around 40-50 new i think.

I think mark cleaned his out by squirting lots of brake cleaner thru it, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

It worked didnt it?

LOL

I didnt have a problem with sludge,it was a preventative measure, it was left to soak in carb/brake cleaner then rinsed with Gunk and the hosed out and left to dry. AFAIK it's still working.... Leeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

The nut on the oil pump is a nightmare to get back on but doable....I paid the price of not changing mine first time. Turbo lasted 15 minutes, oil feed line was blocked solid....stupid mistake i know. I now know that your best bet is to buy a new pipe, or turn engine over with coil packs disconnected and see if the pipe sprays oil out.....

cheers for that

got it off and gave the oil feed pipe and drain to sump a good clean with some brake cleaning spray / fluid - all clear

hope to put the turbo on tomorrow

before starting I know I need to crank the engine a few times to get the oil flowing round and into / out the turbo

what is the best way to do this? as suggested above? i.e. coilpacks off and try to start the car a couple of times?

thanks

I would run some oil through the pipe before fitting and give the engine a quick crank with the ICM (the block on top of the air filter) removed to be sure.

i'm not sure cranking the engine over is ever going to flow enough oil to fill that oil line and the turbo...

Personally i'd fill the turbo with oil, and fill the pipe with as much oil as i could, and just start it up and let it idle. The oil pump doing 800rpm will fill that pipe in a second or two, and at idle the turbo isnt going to be doing anything....

cheers for the replies

will try to fill the oil feed pipe and turbo before cranking.

now hope the rain stops

all done - took her out for a drive and all seems ok

the turbo housing was smoking a bit as it was a bit oily - this seems to have reduced right down after the run

let her sit for 20 mins idling before driving, can hear the turbo boosting which is nice - seem to have a small coolant leak somewhere to the rear of the engine

a bit paranoid that i have put something back wrong, car is due a service so might swing by grizz's for a check over

I have the N75 disconnected for now - how many miles to run the car in before reconnecting it?

I wouldnt worry about when to reconnect the N75, i would connect it and enjoy. I bet the leak is from behind the turbo on the little s hose, it's a pain to tighten properly

thought i had tightened that one ok - will recheck it

Mine needs to start coming apart as my turbos broken, but i think ill be putting on a T3 instead...