How To Fit a K03 TIP

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
OK, so here we go...

Well I was quite happily reading Michael Jackson jokes on the internet when I was disturbed by a knock on the door...."FANTASTIC" I think, Kelly Brooks come over but no, its a UPS man delivering my brand new shiney Forge TIP. Due to the chance of Kelly Brook coming to my house was slim at best I decided I'd better have a look at this TIP......its quite an elaborate bong I must say...

3681826858_7a2b3ebf60_b.jpg

Nice and smooth inside..

3681017319_0f82903eee_b.jpg

3681829634_a2fa989a05_b.jpg

All good. So I pop out and pick up a load of jubilee clips as I dont want to get half way through and be stuck...

I wasnt going to take any chances so picked a load up...

3681019961_d2601c2cfe_b.jpg

So its out into the garage to start things off..

Firstly, engine cover off to reveal what I was going to be bashing my fingers and arms off..

3681025205_eaf47452c4_b.jpg

Then its airbox off time, first the top half....making sure you unplug everything from the ignition module (I think) and the MAF....

3681842942_330ed97e47_b.jpg

The the bottom half of the airbox has to come out....2 x nuts to undo...one at the front and one at the back, then lift the airbox out and put it somewhere safe (Make sure you put all the bolts, screws and plug clips somewhere safe as well)

Now you'll have something like this...

3681845646_61dba4f415_b.jpg

I decided to take remove everything from this end of the TIP at this point, DV etc etc. Its just a case of un-doing everything and giving them a pull out...

3681034197_ba290e1515_b.jpg

So thats the top half sorted out...

Now its time to get the car jacked up (axle stands please people...dont like hearing about people being squashed by cars falling of jacks!!).

In this pic you can see the bottom cast section of the TIP. There's small 5mm allen bolt that is holding it onto the turbo. Mine was easy enough to get un-done but thigs are a bit tight down there...

3677733141_74bdda04c5_b.jpg

This little bolt is the only way the TIP is held on at the bottom end. Once it was undone I used a small pry bar to careully split the TIP from the turbo....

3681037333_b771b9c18f_b.jpg

Once this was clear from the turbo I removed the small pipe that goes onto the TIP at the bottom...some pliers, a deep breath and a "F*CK OFF" finally got it shifted.

3681853928_354a799a9a_b.jpg

It wasnt tight, just really hard to get at with pliers....I shouldnt have lent my mate my long reach needle nose's...oh well.

Right, now you can pull the TIP out of the engine bay from above, carefull as you do it as mine managed to catch on pretty much everything on the way up.

Here she is....off at last...

3681042749_523ab311cd_b.jpg

Time for a pint of ice cold ribena at this point and 5 minutes sitting in the sun....

Back to work...

You can see here how the Forge TIP varies over standard...

Standard item looks quite restricted....bit of a bottle neck there I'd say...

3681866564_1178665a65_b.jpg

Forge item, a nice proper bend with an even radius....looking good, hopefully should make it a bit easier for the air getting in.....

3681863156_fe092548a2_b.jpg

So this is where you have to thread the TIP onto....aw...bless....look how small it is...

3681860314_901af3b214_b.jpg

Anway, clear any crap/gunk off the turbo prior to fitting the new TIP.

This is where the fun started. You have to thread the TIP down through the engine bay and get it down towards the turbo. This was VERY TIGHT, in fact so tight, I had to cut a small amount off the turbo end of the TIP (about 8mm) otherwise there was no way it was going on. Make sure you put the jubilee clip on BEFORE YOU THREAD THE PIPE, YOU'LL NEVER GET IT ON WHEN ITS IN THERE!! (you have been warned).

So anyway, after a bit of jiggery pokery the pipes sitting roughly where I need it so its under the car again..

After a lot of pulling and poking and swearing I finally got the TIP onto the turbo. I had to use a pry bar to move the TIP around into place as I couldnt get my hand in there...

3681869464_7ce5082237_b.jpg

Now its a case of pushing the jubilee clip up as close to the turbo as you can and doing it up....

3681060167_ed0e028e3e_b.jpg

Re-attacht the other little hose at the bottom onto the little alloy pipe and thats the bottom half done.

Back up top you'll now be left with something like this...

3681877680_83d0252207_b.jpg

Now its just a case of refitting everything back into the TIP, nice and easy...

3681880642_02c069d930_b.jpg

Refit the airbox....bottom in first...

3681882322_8e0d13948e_b.jpg

Now at this point I tried to refit the top half of the airbox and MAF etc but the new TIP was too long to get it all to sit right. So...out comes a very sharp stanley knife blade and I trim a bit of excess off. I attached a jubilee clip that I could use as a straight edge to ensure a nice smooth cut.

It only needed a bit taking off...

3681010067_9922a2d240_b.jpg

So now I can refit the top of the airbox and MAF and plug everything back in, engine cover back on etc.

Now we're there....fitted.....phew!...

3681885042_2bc57c7298_b.jpg

3681073247_a5e133cdbd_b.jpg

So thats it....done. Took about an hour and a bit to do. its tricky and ****** tight on mine, mines a 1.8T AGU running a KO3 turbo just for reference.

So now its a case of starting it up and making sure its OK, which it was. Tools away and back into the house for a well deserved cup of tea and a few slices of fruit cake to celebrate my victory...

3681890240_2aa61ee416_b.jpg

Job done, nyom nyom nyom :yum::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: andrew_wright, SHUk, williethefox and 2 others
nice right up!.. looks pretty simple actually, sounds fiddally though, be bit gutted if ya messed up them cuts though!. hope the underneath of my cars alright being quattro dont know if its tighter down there. how does it make your car feel though, better?:beerchug:

Excellent write up with good pic's and a humorous twist...Well Done Mate.

Yeah its easy enough to do...... its just REALLY tight down there, if I had access to a proper 4 poster ramp it would have been a lot easier. It was all done with me on my back under the car trying to squeeze my arms round driveshafts and antiroll bars. Its just fiddly, small hands and weather thats not 30 degrees would have been a great help :)

I've not driven the car yet, I'm off out for dinner in a bit which will involve a drive down some nice twisty country roads so I'll have a play and see whats what.

Tom

T

I should also add at this point....big props DPM Performance.

I ordered this the day before yesterday during the evening. It turned up at lunch time today. Very speedy service and a great price :)

T

Nice write up, well done for taking the time and photos!:thumbsup:

Nice write up, well done for taking the time and photos!:thumbsup:

no worries.

I couldnt find a decent guide online so thought I'd do one myself to save anyone else the head scratching :)

great write up tom!much appreciated for taking the time out to document your work :)gives us all some tips to!nice 1:icon_thumright:

Well its not fallen off yet so thats a good thing.

I doubt it gives any extra ponies but the car does seem to pick up better, mainly at higher revs rahter than low down, could be due to the new TIP not having that massive restriction on it perhaps?, anyway...all good.

The DV also sounds different now, more of a 'psshhhhht' than what it was before.

Cheers

Tom

Reactions: andrew_wright
Nice one Tom, excellent write up and pics and job well done. :)

Fantastic Tom - I love fruit cake!!!

Great write-up, glad you're pleased with the result :applaus:

thqanks for that tom mate. good work there. hows the car feeling now then

Nice write up Tom, Notice a louder DV blow off? Looks sweet aswell, I wana a set of blue ones :) And i will use this quide when fitting mine as im sure its very simular on the BAM engine.
:rockwoot:

Excellent write up, I was planing on buying one of the de restricted hard pipes from Awesome. Do you think this forge item is better? How much did it cost? , and where did you buy it from ? did it come straight from Forge?

Nice write up Tom, Notice a louder DV blow off? Looks sweet aswell, I wana a set of blue ones :) And i will use this quide when fitting mine as im sure its very simular on the BAM engine.
:rockwoot:

Can't be 100% on this, but i'm sure i managed to swap the TIP out from the top on mine... No need for crawling about underneath :)

Can't be 100% on this, but i'm sure i managed to swap the TIP out from the top on mine... No need for crawling about underneath :)

Yes defiantely no need to crawl around underneath on the BAM engine as it doesnt have the hard pipe the standard hose goes straight onto the turbo in the same way the forge one does in the write up above. So its actually an easier job on the S3

Reactions: NardoNZ
Beenon for a few days now and its still not fallen off :)

Car feels fine, as I said it seems to pick up a bit better.

I will be changing the rest of the hoses at the end of the month when payday rolls around :)

Cheers

Tom

Nice write up dude loving the bit of humour makes easy reading. It's a good guide and the pictures are good too. i think this will make a lot of people happier to try them selfs. Sweet nice one dude. ill be using this guide to work from defo !:icon_thumright:

This is a massive bump but worth it... We be using this soon

Thank you so much for this OP. Just fitted mine today and followed your instructions. Snapped two screwdrivers on jubilee clips that I couldn't get a socket on...and bent an Allen key.

The only thing I need to change is the top host that does in the DV as it's too curled over and stretched as the TIP is much larger/higher up than the OEM one.

Never buy cheap **** tools.

Yes defiantely no need to crawl around underneath on the BAM engine as it doesnt have the hard pipe the standard hose goes straight onto the turbo in the same way the forge one does in the write up above. So its actually an easier job on the S3

Thanks for this info!! I just ordered a B5 V3 TIP and I didn't think it would be very hard to install so I was going to do it in my driveway. Although, after reading this thread I was going to take it to the shop and put it on the lift, until I saw this info about the S3. So back to the easy driveway install.

How close does the water pipe that runs by the tip should it be?

The pipe runs on the right of the tip, so the tip is between the pipe and turbo if that makes sense?

I know these have to be moved during tip fitting to make space, is it ok for the pipe to be touching the tip?

Thanks for this info!! I just ordered a B5 V3 TIP and I didn't think it would be very hard to install so I was going to do it in my driveway. Although, after reading this thread I was going to take it to the shop and put it on the lift, until I saw this info about the S3. So back to the easy driveway install.

You do realise K04 is nothing like K03 like pictured here yea? and there are already fitting guide in my badger5 section on here.... much easier for k04 tip than k03 one...

How close does the water pipe that runs by the tip should it be?

The pipe runs on the right of the tip, so the tip is between the pipe and turbo if that makes sense?

anyone know if it's alright for the pipe to touch the tip?

I'll try get outside and get a pic, broken my collarbone Sunday, so easier said than done :(

here you go:

ignore the red bits on the black pipe, its paint scrapings from the rocker cover.

Does this look ok?

this is how mine is, it was far to big to fit without it touching, it also touches the back of the engine block

Do you mean the size of the tip you fitted is too big, so touching pipe like mine? I have just bought the car and this is how it is fitted, I'm not happy abit the fit tbh as there is slight chafing there, nothing major, but what could be done to pull the pipe away from the tip?

yeah i have the oversized tip from sfs so its pushed right up against it kinda squashing it a little

I was more concerned about the temperature of the pipe that's touching it, it seems to have held up fine, it's been on the car for a few years and there is only a tiny mark where it's touched.

What kind of temps can silicone take before melting?

Hi guys if I have a 2001 AUM what kind of TIP do I need ? I saw that for AUM are available 2 TIP (one with MAF housing and the other one without MAF housing ) I don't know what to order :)

any chance of links to buying this pipe at all please ... I'm in new Zealand but can get sent to my parents in UK and them send it to me from there snail mail to reduce costs lol