PCV edit

ash_pearce

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Done some searching on here and other forums in relation to removing the pcv system. Mine as most cases is venting alot of oil into the tip and I supspect is losing me a couple of psi of boost, as the non return valve isn't working.

found this http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3111538

Question is do i remove the plastic valve thingy that ataches to the tip?(looks like a recirc valve)

Anyone done the above? pics?

thanks in advance

ash

i don't think removing it is a great idea, it uses the vacuum from the TIP to help draw gasses out of the engine.

I had the same problem as you, with heavy oil deposits into the TIP, and eventually had oil pooling in my intercooler as well.

I installed a catch tank inline between the PCV and the TIP, and it's worked perfectly.

Sorry I should have been a little clearer. I'm basically adding a catch tank to the system to prevent the oil deposits as you decribe.

Taking the pipe from the oil filter housing up to a t piece, one end will go to the rocker cover and the other to the catch tank. The pipe out of the catch tank to the inlet on the tip.
What I was trying to work out is the plastic thing that is on the tip does it stay or go? Do you know which bit i mean?

Would like to see how you get on ash because ive got the same problem but mines splashint the maf aswell.
Is there a guide for fitting one or anyone got any pics of one fitted.

I'm going to have a go at the weekend just gathering the parts i need. I'll do some before and after pics etc. Just seems a simple thing to do to improve the crappy design in place. Saves cleaning the throttle body and related parts every five minutes.

Totaly agree with you.
What car you got ash?

a3 1.8t AGU, saved her from the scrappy lol. keep meaning to do a before and after post buts here's a little sample..

example of the state it was in

SL270903.jpg

and a sneak peak at the current progress

SL271208.jpg

Prawn you got a mini guide for fitting the oil catch can from when you did it or any pics etc?

looking good ash :o.k: how much work have you had to do to date?

no guide, but it was pretty common sense really!

there's a hose that goes from the top right of the block (as you look at it) to the large black valve in the TIP, I just removed this hose, and re-routed it through a catch tank then back into the TIP. My catch tank is at the front of the engine bay, between the engine and the fans.

looking good ash :o.k: how much work have you had to do to date?

Thanks mate, alot of work has been done.. I'm still finishing bits and bobs off, watch this space for a complete before and after post.

Thought so but off the top my head i thought the black valve had 2 pipes going into it.
Where did you end up getting your catch tank from?

prawn did you add any form of baffles inside? Been looking at the expensive ones offered by the likes of 'g reddy' they seem to come with a baffle to help the oil vapors stay in the catch can. see here...

http://www.supracarparts.com/Projects/projx5_2.jpg

The other idea is to add stainless steel wool, but don't fancy the engine sucking any of that down the tip. bye bye turbo.

Ive got some thin alloy sheet at home might have a play later.

Whats the benefits of the one's that have those filters at the top?

i would say none as the gases and vapours can then escape into your engine bay, smelly and messy imo.

Just want o double check before i order my ctch ank, this is the pvc valve isnt it:

And this is where it connects to the block isnt it:

So when i fit the oil catch tank that'll be done away with, yeah! So where's the best place to buy a T piece and pipe to alter it where it connects to the block?

no you need to keep it, its a non return valve that stops air going into the head from the TIP..... it works to release pressure from the head back into the tip

im struggling to see how we can get it all to fit TBH

So when i fit the oil catch tank that needs to stay then!

If it stops air shouldn't it stop oil aswel!

it does mate, imagine you have air coming into the TIP from the air feed and so the pcv stops it leaking into the head..... when the pressure is high enough in the head it releases it the other direction back into the TIP (oil then follows)

defo needs to stay fella

Good job you told me that haha, could have ended quite badly if not :)

Can somebody post a picture of this item fitted?
What was the quality of this item??

Pics coming tonight been waiting for some silicon hose to be delivered. Quality is good, I've added a baffle inside to help catch all the vapours and muck better.

Cant wait for the pics then i can order mine haha.
What did you use for abaffle?

I had some stainless sheet in the workshop, just cut a small piece and punched some holes through it. Not absolutly necessary, im sure it will do a good job without. Any improvement over standard has to be good.

was it a pain to fit Ash...... im concious of the hose sizes involved...surely you've had to reduce them?

also wasnt sure about positioning the damn thing, dosent look the smallest of items

Thats why i want to see some pics first because the engine bays packed tight on mine.

As mentioned earlier I've not finished yet as I've been fixing an oil leak and waiting for some hose to be delivered.

not sure about you s3 boys but i mounted mine on the bulkhead next to the wiring duct on the right hand side of the engine bay. There was a small sensor mounted there all ready but ive tucked this away behind the wiring duct it self. The sensor it self was mounted to a bracket spot welded to the bulk head, ive removed this leaving me two holes ready to mount my catch tank.

As for the hoses... again it might be slightly diff for the s3 crowd but the a3 uses 19mm hoses,

Basically my plan is... take the hose coming from the oil filter breather run this up towards my catch tank, then take the hose coming from the rocker cover and 't' it into the breather tube, connect this end to the catch tank and then run a hose from the catch tank to the plastic valve on the tip.

Pics will make it easier to understand.

yup will defo be different for S3.......i'll get one fitted somehow once i've researched pipe sizes etc.....

yup will defo be different for S3.......i'll get one fitted somehow once i've researched pipe sizes etc.....

Thats exactly what im planning on doing ash but wanted to see what parts etc you've used.
Im planning on fitting mine round that area but theres a metal pipe running behind the electric conduate but it t's off out into the engine bay and has a screw on cap1

Thats exactly what im planning on doing ash but wanted to see what parts etc you've used.
Im planning on fitting mine round that area but theres a metal pipe running behind the electric conduate but it t's off out into the engine bay and has a screw on cap.
Any ideas what it is?

aircon pipe mate, i have one too but mines not in the way. patience pics coming later!!:photo:

I'm doing that thing called 'work' at the mo! haha. Well what i mean is flicking between work related web pages and the arcade on here, although i completly suck at all the games.