Steering rack replacement

P

phill1012k

Having just had a quick search through the forum I can see other people have had their steering racks replaced. My 08 S3 was in for its first service last week and I’d asked them to check out why the steering was noisy sometimes, they checked, talked to Audi and its going in to be replaced on Thursday...this seems to be pretty common, have any people had the steering rack replaced more than once?

Yes, I think it was L6ON. He had his changed twice!

Had mine changed twice on a 3.2 :)

Been fine for over a yr. now though.

Edition what was issues with yours, is it just noisy guys as mine after extensive arb work has now started making noises, typical huh.

Interested also.
Mine groans very slightly first thing in the morn (fnarr fnarr, easy NHN), if you sit stationary and give it a tug left and right there is also a very slight knock.
Just not sure if Im being paranoid and `looking` for something to be wrong.
There is a lot of moving parts so maybe this is normal. TBH Ive never really took that much notice with other cars?

cheers
Paul

Interested also.
Mine groans very slightly first thing in the morn (fnarr fnarr, easy NHN)
Paul

Depending on what "MINE" defines either slap her to shut her up or use some of this to alleviate your body parts.

wd_40.jpg

Sorry mate had to, wouldnt be same without it, lol.

If you sit stationary and give it a tug left and right there is also a very slight knock.
Just not sure if Im being paranoid and `looking` for something to be wrong.
There is a lot of moving parts so maybe this is normal. TBH Ive never really took that much notice with other cars?

Thats exactly the problem I have now, exactly to the letter mate, we stuck it on ramp yesterday & pulled the rack manually & the knocking/creaking noise is coming right from the middle of the rack mate, but its not constant & usually only 1st thing in morning & sometimes during day but usually slow speeds, yours is still under warranty isnt it Paul, get it changed now mate while you can, I'll update when I change mine see if goes away.

Depending on what "MINE" defines either slap her to shut her up or use some of this to alleviate your body parts.

wd_40.jpg

Sorry mate had to, wouldnt be same without it, lol.

Thats exactly the problem I have now, exactly to the letter mate, we stuck it on ramp yesterday & pulled the rack manually & the knocking/creaking noise is coming right from the middle of the rack mate, but its not constant & usually only 1st thing in morning & sometimes during day but usually slow speeds, yours is still under warranty isnt it Paul, get it changed now mate while you can, I'll update when I change mine see if goes away.

Yeah, plenty warranty left fortunately.
Got a couple of other little things I want looked at so need to get around to having it booked in.
Only problem I anticipate is convincing the dealer its an issue and its not `normal`.

cheers
Paul