New RNS-e SatNav

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
I assume some of you have seen the press releases covering VW's tie-up with Google for 3D navigation in future vehicles.

I've managed to get my own version of it. Check this out....

GoogleMaps001.jpg

GoogleMaps002.jpg

GoogleMaps003.jpg

GoogleMaps004.jpg

GoogleMaps005.jpg

GoogleMaps006.jpg

GoogleMaps007.jpg

GoogleMaps008.jpg

GoogleMaps007.jpg

GoogleMaps008.jpg

GoogleMaps009.jpg

GoogleMaps010.jpg

GoogleMaps011.jpg

GoogleMaps012.jpg

GoogleMaps013.jpg

GoogleMaps014.jpg

GoogleMaps015.jpg

GoogleMaps016.jpg

GoogleMaps017.jpg

Here's a quick video of it in operation. It's a bit bouncy, but you'll see the blue arrow moving on the screen to show where I am.

[ytv]m1ZKhHZY7Kg[/ytv]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ZKhHZY7Kg

that's pretty sweet, mind sharing what's involved? how do you control it?

Astonishing!!!
But since i had no idea about this i got one simple question

How?!?!?1 :think::laugh:

Is this standard on the facelift model s3s ?

yeah think you're right, N95 cellphone interface via video input, its showing gps based nav & at bottom of screen its kinda cut of & shows something else, same layout to this image:

nokia-n95-slide.jpg

hehe :)

I havent worked on the N95 so I didnt know it had that, but I was puzzling where the top and bottom menu items were from... :D

Yes it is running on the N95.

See this thread for what I've done.

The maps are downloaded as you go so you'll need an internet connection. HSDPA is better than 3G on motorways as travelling at 130km/h means that by the time you've downloaded the current screen you are already out of it.

I can imagine it would be quite handy in towns\cities though, because you'd be able to see the buildings and whatnot.

Yes it is running on the N95.

homer_doh.png

but it's pretty impressive you can get up to 5 satellites in car.

My N78's gps has been pretty frustrating to use so far, and there's just no chance it'd work in a car.

I'm waiting for them to release the tomtom or turn by turn for the 3G iPhone. I have the RNS-E factory fitted in my car but I hate that it doesnt do camera POI's or the like. So it would be nice to have this as a 2ndary backup to provide that information while pottering around and the RNS for the main driving directions.

That's a great piece of work, Marc. Have you posted this up in navplus.us? The guys would love it there!