CD track info onto RNS-E screen - Done!

Issac Hunt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Not strictly a 8P retro-fit but I know a lot of people in here have the RNS-E and are dismayed by the lack of on screen info. I thought I would post my original post from the B7 section for interest........

After messing about with all sorts of ipod adapters, FM transmitters etc I got sick of either crap sound quality or very poor control and functionality. Not to mention the total lack of track information on the screen!

Just invested in a 320GB HDD media player. This allows full on screen display and all control is done through the RNS-E buttons. It seems to play almost every audio format I can think of along with most video formats, including DivX.

At the moment its just in the glovebox but this will relocate into the boot when I strip out the interior for a proper stereo install.

mp1.jpg
mp3.jpg

I used a rapsody 320GB HDD player, running through a Kufatec media adapter. I took a couple of pictures and screen shots. When my photobucket account starts behaving itself I will post them up!

Yeah thats pretty similar to the Rapsody. My reason for choosiong that model is that the Kufatec media adapter will allow full control of it through the RNS-E butttons. I didnt want to have to use an additional remote control, nor did I want to have a IR reciever eye stuck somewhere in the car.

With this I 'll be able to install it in the boot and forget all about it.

The connection I use are the red/white/yellow RCA connectors, and of course power and IR sockets.

Yeah thats pretty similar to the Rapsody. My reason for choosiong that model is that the Kufatec media adapter will allow full control of it through the RNS-E butttons. I didnt want to have to use an additional remote control, nor did I want to have a IR reciever eye stuck somewhere in the car.

With this I 'll be able to install it in the boot and forget all about it.

The connection I use are the red/white/yellow RCA connectors, and of course power and IR sockets.

Ah right. No I'm after the control via the RNS so I'd prefer to go for the Rapsody also. Which Kufatec adaptor did you use then? And any other things one would need?

Isaac,
Looks like you have done a lot of retrofits...
Did you need to re route the BT mic to the RNS for your SDS retrofit?..
I have my SDS cd ready but heard that the BT stops working after you apply the patch without routing the Mic in series to the RNS from the overhead light cluster?

Isaac,
Looks like you have done a lot of retrofits...
Did you need to re route the BT mic to the RNS for your SDS retrofit?..
I have my SDS cd ready but heard that the BT stops working after you apply the patch without routing the Mic in series to the RNS from the overhead light cluster?

You'll need to wire the Mic so it 'passes through' the RNS-E and then onto the BT module. Sadly there is no way around this. It will never work until the Mic is re-wired.

Ah right. No I'm after the control via the RNS so I'd prefer to go for the Rapsody also. Which Kufatec adaptor did you use then? And any other things one would need?

I used the IMA+ as I also have a reverse camera. You might get away with the cheaper IMA. I have never used an IMA so you'd need confirmation from Kufatec. Of course you'll need the wiring for the IMA and another control wire to go from the IMA+ into the IR port of the media player.

I used the IMA+ as I also have a reverse camera. You might get away with the cheaper IMA. I have never used an IMA so you'd need confirmation from Kufatec. Of course you'll need the wiring for the IMA and another control wire to go from the IMA+ into the IR port of the media player.

I'll be in touch when I'm ready to do it.

Cheers again Issac

That looks fantastic. Have you posted this on navplus.us? If it's not already on there those guys would love to read about it.

That looks fantastic. Have you posted this on navplus.us? If it's not already on there those guys would love to read about it.

Not yet. I think its a relatively 'old' thing. Its just been brought upto date by the Kufatec IMA+ allowing control through the RNS-E buttons. I recall reading about a guy who installed one a while ago but he had to use an additional remote control to operate it.

Nice bit of kit. Can I ask where you found it?

Jay

I got the media player from here.

Lee (TDIAvant) fitted one of these with IMA/RNS-E control & integration about 6 months ago or more. I have a Rapsody RSH-100 with a 750GB disk in the A8, but as it is MMI I have to use a remote to control it.

The RSH-100's are getting rare now as they are discontinued and from what someone was saying the 100's do not read ID tags, the RSH-300 is ok, but the volume is quite low on them compared to the RSH-100.

Are you using the RSH-110?

Yeah it's a 110 Craig. A 100 was very hard to track down! The volume seems fine so far, its a slight touch lower than the other audio sources but nothing major.

I think the 110 is ok, but the new 300's are a lot lower. SO much so that I got rid of mine in favour of an old 100.

You can buy brand new RSH-100 with or without HD's from Ebay Germany, I picked up 3 last month.