312mm Disc for upgrade??? Nightmare!!

Stevie C

Stevie C
Reaction score
Whilst in the process of uprading front brakes on a very early 140bhp A3 8P (Jan 04) i have come up against a problem.

I have changed the Calipers and carriers (to MK5 Golf GTI Spec which go on with no hassle) to accommodate 312mm disks however i dont seem to be able to locate 312mm disks that will fit over the original hubs. I have tried EBC, Brembo, Audi TT and even S3 Discs with no joy...

Anyone know if the 170bhp uses larger discs with same offset but larger centre space for the hubs???

Any ideas....PLEASE!!!

I didn't think you needed to change the calipers only the mounting bracket ? what about using standard GTi discs ?

got the MK5 calipers and carriers from ebay at a bit of a bargin hence changing the lot.

Not tried MK5 Golf discs as thought there may be an issue with the offset.

Thought i would ask the question on here to see if someone had done this before or knows of discs that may fit.

Whilst in the process of uprading front brakes on a very early 140bhp A3 8P (Jan 04) i have come up against a problem.

I have changed the Calipers and carriers (to MK5 Golf GTI Spec which go on with no hassle) to accommodate 312mm disks however i dont seem to be able to locate 312mm disks that will fit over the original hubs. I have tried EBC, Brembo, Audi TT and even S3 Discs with no joy...

Anyone know if the 170bhp uses larger discs with same offset but larger centre space for the hubs???

Any ideas....PLEASE!!!

Found this on another thread.. not sure if this would do the job or not??

312 x 25mm Disc Setup
Disc: 1K0 615 301AA

i've just started to look into this.

i was just going to buy std disks - offset should be same for Leon, golf, octavia and A3 - it's the wheels that are different

Surly the hubs must be thye problem between the early 8Ps and the later model as all the disks we have tried so far have a smaller centre which will not slip over the hubs!

Going to contact fitz at bristol audi and use my chassis number against the part number below to see if they are an option should get a yeh or a neh by 10am..

You may be able to try a chassis number from the DSG to see if discs are larger but same fitment as your S-Line.. ??? just an idea as i have heard the DSG runs larger discs??

These wont fit the early 2004 8P hubs:

312 x 25mm Disc Setup
Disc: 1K0 615 301AA

the recess is approx half inch too small to cover the hub :-(

Nightmare! anyone know what is fitted to the 170DSG??? and have a part no??

not sure on codes where can i find them?

After chatting with GSF ECP and Others seems like the MK5 golf GTI disks will do the job - going to get the EBC set and see what happens :)

Cant seem to locate the info plate will have another better look over the weekend and keep you posted.

yeah leaving them red with audi stickers. Trying to get hold of drilled and grooved discs for the MK5 at the mo but will keep you posted.

done that too - got red stuff. can get EBC discs but they are not cheap (Grooved and dimpled) looking at Brembo / 3G drilled and grooved save as these are slightly cheaper.

I've had EBC discs - thought there were rubbish.

If anything go for zimmerman drilled discs.

I think i PM'd you about golf mk5 GTi rears i have for sale. 286 X 12 ful set up.

I did the conversion on ours this morning. One side was a pig to get carriers off. I painted ours gloss black. They look class.

Brakes do feel a little bit more progressive now - before they bit well but ran out of puff under heavy braking

so was there any definitive answer to which 312mm brake discs are required for the earlier 8Ps to do this mod?

Teejay - Its looking like its the Golf MK 5 GTI disk size for the front 312 x 25 with a depth of 50mm thru centre of the disc. will confirm this with you once i receive mine and they are on.

Sprout99. What set up have you gone for on the front? was the set you had for sale the ones you have fitted today?

I think i am going for the Quattro set up on the rear.. just hope i ont get the same hassle that i did with the fronts!

Whats your names by the way??

Sprout99. What set up have you gone for on the front? was the set you had for sale the ones you have fitted today?

I think i am going for the Quattro set up on the rear.. just hope i ont get the same hassle that i did with the fronts!

Whats your names by the way??

i bought a full set of MK5 GTi brakes. Very good condition just didn't want rears but it was part of deal. They are 286 x 12 and i have callipers, carriers, pads and discs. If you pm me your e-mail adress i can send pics? They are like new and red and will match your fronts :icon_thumright:

I put the fronts (312mm) on our car but painted them gloss black first. I could have just used carriers but the calipers were practically new so ithought i'd customise first.

Cheers

Ian