Broken door handle

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
Just been out to put my car away for the night, and when I went to get out of the car the door wouldn't open. The interior handle seems have come away from the cable. I ended up having to get out the passenger door.

Probably not going to be able to get the dealer to have a look at it until the middle of the week, so I'm going to look a right plonker climbing across to the passenger side to get out.

By the way, the reason I didn't just wind down the driver's window and grab the handle from the outside is that I just had the windows tinted today and can't open them for a few days.

Will it just be a case of the dealer removing the door panel and reconnecting the cable to the handle?

Hi Marc,
If it is just a case of the cable coming away from the handle then it will be a case of removing the panel. It'll only be literally a two minute job as the panels only held together via a couple of screws and a load of tension clips/studs.

I'd be tempted to DIY this as it's not very difficult at all. If you can wait till morning I'll post a schematic drawing from Elsawin to show you how simple it is.

Hi Marc,
If it is just a case of the cable coming away from the handle then it will be a case of removing the panel. It'll only be literally a two minute job as the panels only held together via a couple of screws and a load of tension clips/studs.

I'd be tempted to DIY this as it's not very difficult at all. If you can wait till morning I'll post a schematic drawing from Elsawin to show you how simple it is.
That'd be great if you could. Save me a trip to the dealer.

Marc,
As promised intructions for removing door panel

First remove Door interior trim by using something like a flat blade screw driver to prise out enough to get your fingers behind then just gently pull out at various points along the length of the trim. This peice of trim is held in place by friction mounts

A70-1191.png

Next, Remove the Torx head screws where the arrows are pointing. After this the only thing that is holding the door in place are friction screws/grommits so you'll have to get your fingers behind the back of the door trim and pull at various points around the door to release. This does take a bit of force but don't worry, as long as you've undone the three screws (Different for 4 doors!) then nothing should break. Then hey presto the door should be off!

A70-1192.png

Then you should be faced with the offending door handle mechanism.

A70-1193.png

Just reverse for installation
Cheers Marc

Thanks for that.

Will hopefully get to try it this afternoon. I have to nip out now for a bit and will need to get out of the car twice. Hopefully nobody will see me!

Then I'll be watching the one or both Ferraris put manners on that young Hamilton chap. He might even make my day and put it in a wall all by himself. No offence to any of you Hamilton fans out there, but I just don't buy into all the hype or the McLaren PR machine.

So hopefully I'll get to it today, otherwise it'll be a week of getting out of the car on the wrong side. Luckily I get out of my car in the mornings before 6am so there aren't too many people around to see it and I live in a quiet street so I won't be seen in the evenings getting out - it is really only if I have to park up in town to go the shops.

I'll let you know how I get on, but it looks straightforward enough, so I don't envisage any problems.

OK, I had a bit of time to spare before ITV's "Lewis Hamilton Show" started so I nipped out and took the door trim off. The lock cable was still attached, but didn't look to be in properly. I was still able to undo the deadlocks by pulling the handle, but just couldn't open the door.

Got it all reattached and put back together - the torx screw in the middle of the door was a pain in the **** to get back in. When I was happy that everything was working again I moved my car into the sunlight to allow the glue for the tints to activate and tried to reposition the passenger door mirror, but it wouldn't work. Looks like I've disconnected something in the door electrics. Going to get some breakfast now and watch the GP so I might nip out for another go at it later this afternoon. Failing that I'll take another look tomorrow. The handle is still a little loose, so I might still give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if there is something they can do with it since it is still under warranty.

Thanks again for the help Von Maximo.

After the disaster that was the Monaco GP, I decided to head back out to the car. Managed to get the wires hooked up again for the electrics and reassembled the door, only for the handle to have become separated from the hook again. Took it apart again and got everything working, only for the middle torx screw to decide it wouldn't go back in. Took me almost 25 minutes to get it in.

All reassembled and working again now thankfully. I did notice a receptacle above the door handle which looks like it might hold a light of some description. Might take a look on ETKA and see what goes in there. I assume it is part of the interior lights package or something.

re the GP - so long as anyone, other than ferrari win, I'm happy, stuck up anally retentive rule breaking ar5e bandits

Re the "receptacle (no, not ferrari again) i've got lights on each of my door handles as part of the interior lights pack so you're probably right

Looks like we are in the same boat (but paddling in different directions) on that - I'm pretty much anyone but mclaren, although I don't mind seeing kovaleinen do well. Hamilton and Ron Dennis really do my head in with their "holier than thou" PR ********.

Would have like to see Kubica take the win, and in fairness I probably wouldn't have minded Hamilton winning if it had been anywhere other than Monaco. They'll dine out on that one win for years to come - bit like the world cup in 66! The specially extended post race stuff was a bit much too. Usually Steve and the boys can't wait to send us off to some crappy sunday afternoon matinee, but today they just kept going on and on and on. Even Mike Gascoigne had trouble talking about his own cars with James Allen repeatedly looking for his views on how Lewis would fare. The sooner it goes to the BBC the better in my view.

You mean above/in the cubby hole for the interior door release handle Marc?

As yes it does have a little light that sits in there to illuminate the handle when lights activated, if you can call it that, easily retro them mate as its just simple light, I would actually hazard a guess wiring is there already fella for it given its such a minor option.

Looks like we are in the same boat (but paddling in different directions) on that - I'm pretty much anyone but mclaren, although I don't mind seeing kovaleinen do well. Hamilton and Ron Dennis really do my head in with their "holier than thou" PR ********.

Would have like to see Kubica take the win, and in fairness I probably wouldn't have minded Hamilton winning if it had been anywhere other than Monaco. They'll dine out on that one win for years to come - bit like the world cup in 66! The specially extended post race stuff was a bit much too. Usually Steve and the boys can't wait to send us off to some crappy sunday afternoon matinee, but today they just kept going on and on and on. Even Mike Gascoigne had trouble talking about his own cars with James Allen repeatedly looking for his views on how Lewis would fare. The sooner it goes to the BBC the better in my view.

you seen http://www.stopthecock.co.uk/

hope they keep Brundle though, he's a legend

Loved Mike G's comment on Raikkonen though, was awesome

Yeah Brundle is about the only one I can tolerate. Hope he goes across to the beeb. I thought Steve was good when he joined - anything is better than Rosenthal - but he's jumped on the Lewis bandwagon now too. I thought the highlight of the season was when Lewis finished third and the only person we heard from in the post race press conference was him.

Felt sorry for Sutil. Thought he deserved a few points.