how can i disconnect my cooling fans?

Lex

Reaction score
i need to drive 20miles on tuesday to take my car to the garage to sort out the cooling fan problems im having.

i dont want to have the fan going for the trip incase it will burn out and i hear its better to drive with it turned off.

how can i switch this fan off?

cheers

lex

Hmm unless you can find an obvious connector plug that goes into the fan pack then I doubt you will be able to. But one fan is also for the air con so it may be on a separate loom.

any idea which fuse this may be?

cheers

lex

i have found

F54 radiator fan, output stage.

is this the right 1?

cheers

I've had a look at my Owner's Manual and there is no fuse listed for the fans as far as I can see.

There is an electrical connector to the fans units but how easy it will be to get at I'm not sure. Below is an illustration showing the location

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/h5djr/elsawin/A19-0473.png

F54 is listed in my book as Vacant, so that may well be the one!!!

The fan wont burn out, just imagine how long they are runnning in the middle of summer when your sat in long traffic jams with the A/C on full blast?

IIRC my A4's fans runs constantly (at low speed) whenever the A/C is turned on, as you can hear them shut down if you turn off the compressor.

Is it under warranty? If it is then you have even less to worry about!

Having looked at the wiring diagrams for the 140 diesel it seems that the the Radiator Fan Control Unit is protected by fuse 8 in the fuse box under the bonnet. This appears to be a 10A fuse. Again in my 170 Owner's Manual this fuse is listed as Vacant.

Having looked at the wiring diagrams for the 140 diesel it seems that the the Radiator Fan Control Unit is protected by fuse 8 in the fuse box under the bonnet. This appears to be a 10A fuse. Again in my 170 Owner's Manual this fuse is listed as Vacant.

F8-actuators/ sensors (engine compartment), radiator fan, main relay for ignition coil

should i give it ago without this fuse?

F8-actuators/ sensors (engine compartment), radiator fan, main relay for ignition coil

should i give it ago without this fuse?

NO! I think you might need that relay for the ignition coil lol

Issac is right actually, why do you want to stop the fans running?

i've heard you can damage them even more e.g burning out the motor

but i really havent got a clue about A3's

i think i may just drive with it on, if anything else brakes its under warranty hehehehehe

cheers

lex

That's what I mean though, damage them even more than what?

well maybe add to the problem of the fan constantly going, may lead to further problems but i'm not a mechanic .

Your fans will run constantly (at low speed) whenever the A/C compressor is switched on, and switch over to high speed when the system detects this is required.

Sounds like we're having a similar problem. Mine started today when I went into town, stopped the car and the fans kept running but it was a hot day so not worries. Went and got ticket... fans still running. Went shopping... fans still running. Went home, put in garage and fans still running after engine turned off. Couple of hours later, still running.

Tried to stop it but no idea what fuse to remove or how to get to battery. Found the battery cover but has some special bolts that I don't have a tool to remove. Don't really want to wait till tomorrow while the battery dies and the fan gets hotter and hotter... anyone have any ideas to help?

i have been able to disconnect the battery with a normal tool

im sure Theres a a diagram somewhere showing how to disconnect the fan for over night but i havent had much luck

i just need to drive to the garage tomorrow with the fan running

good lucky mate and i will tell you whats up with it tomorrow once they have had a look at it.

lex

Hi Lex,

Good luck tomorrow to you too.

My fan decided to stop after about 5 hours. I called out the breakdown people after the fan was on for at least 3 hours solid. They took a little over an hour to come and of course when he arrived, the fan was silent, car started perfectly and the fan didn't come on at all.

Now this could mean the fan is now fine (yeah right!), the switch is slightly faulty, then car / battery has some kind of sensor that worked out the battery was too low and killed all power going out, (I know lots of clifford alarms have that kind of intelligence) or any one of hundred of other things. I did drive for about 20 mins with the air con turned off after the first 3 hours of the fan. Some of the posts thought the two things might be connected. When I stopped initially, the fan carried on for about 2 more hours.

I shall see how things are tomorrow and perhaps try turning the climate back on to see if that kicks the fan back into life. I will also post here anything I find out, and I'll see if I can find someone to look at it. Audi Harold Wood are the obvious choice being near to me but I shudder to think of the cost...

Good luck,

Duncan

weirdest thing happened this morning

i left home with the fan going nuts again and i stopped for petrol half way to midland VW and the fan was still going but once i had filled up the ESP light had gone.

20miles later i got to midland VW and the fan had stopped

jodie ran it through vagcom and no faults appeared and all wrong with the car had stopped.

i think my car is a transformer and fixes its self.

i still think there is something up with it i just dont know what yet.

i will have to wait for it to go wrong again because the garage didnt know what to check because it seemed to be complete fine

cheers for all the advice but with a car that fixes its self im pretty safe HAHA

lex:think:

just be careful if you read what happened to me yesterday as i had the same problem with my fan but my engine caught fire!!!!

Amazing car Lex, but I too have one! My car decided to behave itself after running the fans for the 5 hours - since then it's worked perfectly. Tried to speak to an Audi engineer so I could find out information or how to remove a fuse to kill them but the charming lady on reception told me their engineers don't leave the workshop. Hmmm...
However, all's well at them moment and I even have put the air con back on with no problems. Wonder what it was then...