Amp questions and Line Level OUTPUT from RNS-E?

cooni

Reaction score
Gday all,
I have an Audi S3 8P with the standard non-Bose stereo system.
Keeping the RNS-E, I have fitted Alpine amps and speakers.
The amps receive inputs from the speaker wires that are connected to Alpine speaker-to-line-level converters, and this is alright, but frankly quite poor at the same time.

Connecting my iPod using a line-out adapter directly into the Alpine amps gave much much better quality, especially the bass which had so much more definition and clarity; this is in comparison to listening to the same song using CD or SD card from the RNS-E. (Aux-In on the RNS-E is further distorted compared to CD/SD)

Is there a stock amp the RNS-E connects to in the non-Bose system?
If so, where is it and how do I access it? Does the amp have a pre-out (doubtful)?
If not, are there seperate speaker out and line out connectors on the RNS-E?

Am I wasting my time going through the RNS-E if I'm after sound quality? I was thinking if I can't get a decent line level signal out of the RNS-E then to connect the iPod via a seperate EQ in parallel to the Alpine amps so I can retain nav/phone/radio functionality.

Any comments/opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers guys,
Daniel

I have been told the stock front speakers run off the RNS-E and rears run off a seperate amp...

Does anyone know if the front speakers connect to these said line out pins on the RNS-E (don't see how they could be) or do they connect to speaker outs?

Where is this rear amp? The assumption is that the rear amp gets the line out signal from RNS-E, and amps it to the speakers right?

I have been told the stock front speakers run off the RNS-E and rears run off a seperate amp...

Does anyone know if the front speakers connect to these said line out pins on the RNS-E (don't see how they could be) or do they connect to speaker outs?

Where is this rear amp? The assumption is that the rear amp gets the line out signal from RNS-E, and amps it to the speakers right?

The rear speakers are driven through the Sub in boot and and I can confirm that the signal feeds for both front and rear are as Boggysv has quoted above

The rear speakers are driven through the Sub in boot and and I can confirm that the signal feeds for both front and rear are as Boggysv has quoted above

but where abouts?

09042008135.jpg

this is behind the left hand side, with subwoofer removed.
is the amp inside that same plastic enclosure?
or behind the rubber/foam deadening part to the right of it?
or on the other side (just a large piece of deadening there)?

The amp (if you can call it that) is inside the plastic enclosure. You'll have to destroy the casing to get inside it. Not to sure what you'd achieve by this as the amp wont have any pre-outs as it's designed solely to supply the sub/rear speakers.

The amp (if you can call it that) is inside the plastic enclosure. You'll have to destroy the casing to get inside it. Not to sure what you'd achieve by this as the amp wont have any pre-outs as it's designed solely to supply the sub/rear speakers.
i just want to intercept the wiring before it hits the amp rather than after it. so i'd be disconnecting the inputs to the amp and patching it to an RCA into the amp

thanks for that btw

Oh how silly of me... the amp's been staring me in the face the whole time... It's right behind the stock subwoofer.

10042008136.jpg

Does anyone know the pin in/outs of either the amp itself or the wiring harness shown on the right of the picture?

Have a search around in the ICE section. There's a chap called andymac who should be able to help you out.

In answer to my own question, here is the (very limited) pin diagrams for the wiring harness leading into the non-boss amp in the subwoofer enclosure... colours are just what i saw in mine and may differ.

1 yellow - RIGHT LINE LEVEL
2 purple - GROUND/COMMON LINE LEVEL
3 green - LEFT LINE LEVEL
5 orange
6 orange/purple
9 white
17 yellow/red (speaker out)
18 yellow/brown (speaker out)
20 black/white (speaker out)
21 black/blue (speaker out)
22 brown (power)
23 red/blue (power)

Hope this helps someone for future reference.

I have now rewired my amps to run off the line level output of the RNS-E and the sound is a million times better than running off the speaker to line level converters.

Hi, do all a3 8p have this amp and sub in the boot? mine is a 2010 sport back , its not the bose upgrade.
I want to install an active sub and need the low level input.
cheers Ash

cheers I found it, behind all the carpet in boot lhs