RNS-E SD cards

byrnie

Reaction score
I'm having an RNS-E sat nav unit retro fitted to my S3. It will take 2 of 2GB SD cards. Can anyone please tell me what type of card I should buy? Thanks a lot.

You need full size SD cards not minis and not the SDHC variety.

Have a look at these

Depends on what you listen to, I have lots of long mixes/podcasts and don't get many on a 2GB card.

I agree with JohnS3 about the types of songs you want to put on the card.
I use Transcend 4 GB SD card that I’ve filled up completely without reaching the 400 file limit.
So for example one of the songs is Chicane’s Saltwater. The track length is 9 minute 52 seconds. I’ve encoded it into mp3 at 320 kbps. This makes the file 17.3MB in size.
So 4 GB soon gets filled up.

yup Im using 4gig and have reached the limit on the storage, but not the track number limt

It's very hard to find 4GB SD cards, except for the Transcend ones :( Most of them as SDHC as everyone else has mentioned...

See my link above, the SD cards (not HC) from Digiprint are only £13.99 each.

I currently have 2 sandisk 2gb cards and these work a treat, but am wanting to look to get 4gb cards instead, but need to ask some daft questions first?

I assume it does matter which brand you use (kingston etc I've heard can be a bit tempremental)?
If I use 4gb cards do I get the full 4gb to use or from the thread not sure if it restricts the amount of capacity I can use?

just wanna check b4 spending.

Got my RNS-E retro fitted into my S3, really pleased as had one in the previous s-line a3.

P.S got the concert radio for sale on flea bay

cheers

I currently have 2 sandisk 2gb cards and these work a treat, but am wanting to look to get 4gb cards instead, but need to ask some daft questions first?

I assume it does matter which brand you use (kingston etc I've heard can be a bit tempremental)?
If I use 4gb cards do I get the full 4gb to use or from the thread not sure if it restricts the amount of capacity I can use?

just wanna check b4 spending.

Got my RNS-E retro fitted into my S3, really pleased as had one in the previous s-line a3.

P.S got the concert radio for sale on flea bay

cheers
Brand not important, just make sure you get SD and not SDHC (which won't work).

Limit is 400 files or 512 files+folders, so if you rip at low bit rates you'll reach that limit before you fill a 4GB card. I rip at 320kbps and usually fill the card before I reach the 400 files limit.

I purchased three Transcend 4GB cards last week http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000LQ1LZG/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A23WPSRKLP38FA

I paid £11.23 each for them as you couldn't combine postage (they were £6.24 + £4.99 postage)

Delivery was quick but when I opened them up they had sent three 2GB cards, grrrr! I emailed them saying my order was incorrect and was told to return the cards (postage would be refunded) to an address in London, I also stated that I wanted the replacement cards sending asap. I sent the cards back to London, after looking at the envelope I noticed they had come from Guernsey so emailed them again. I got another reply saying send to Guernsey with a RMA number, I replied asking why I was given two different address. Yesterday three 4GB cards arrived from Guernsey and today three 4GB cards arrived from London.

BONUS!!!
I now have six 4GB SD cards for £33.69

Not tried them in the rns-e but hopefully they will be ok. If anyone whos going to the RR day wants a 4GB card they can have one for a tener.

excellent - had been looking for some of these 4gb cards...ordered two :)

Not that it really matters at that price but Transcend don't make a 4gb normal sd card only the SDHC. These are copies and you may find they wont work very well as alot of 4gb fake cards dont have the capacity they quote. Somehow they change the firmware on smaller chips to create what look like bigger cards and actually store more than the memory was designed to.

If anyone's interested - www.7dayshop.com - is supposed to be a good source for memory cards etc. They're based in Guernsey so VAT free shopping.

Haven't used them myself but a mate of mine has and was impressed with the product and service.

HTH.

Dave.

If anyone's interested - www.7dayshop.com - is supposed to be a good source for memory cards etc. They're based in Guernsey so VAT free shopping.

Haven't used them myself but a mate of mine has and was impressed with the product and service.

HTH.

Dave.

I've used them too, very quick service!

Dandle - Transcend defintiely DO make 4Gb non-SDHC cards (well they do now anyway).... and they defintiely work on the RNS-E software 0650 in my A4.

£8.50 inc delivery!

https://www.picstop.co.uk/Secure-Digital-SD/Transcend-Secure-Digital-Card---4GB

If they do they dont mention them on their websites either over here or in the US. Every 4gb+ card they sell on the websites is SDHC. I recon that company is selling knock off cards as there is no comback with where they are based.

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/Modlist.asp?CatNo=6

http://www.transcend-uk.com/Products/Modlist.asp?CatNo=6

Trancend do make 4gb SD cards I have been using them for ages, bought them for my wifes camera, tom tom & my RNS-E.

Trancend do make 4gb SD cards I have been using them for ages, bought them for my wifes camera, tom tom & my RNS-E.

Yes lots of people have Sandisk 4gb sd cards though and sandisc dont make them(they are very good copies). I bought one and the packaging is just like an original except they dont make them so i got a full refund.

My appologies. Just found this "Transcend have re-introduced there 4GB NON-SDHC memory card, which for many customers resolves the issue of having to buy a new device only for the fact that the newer bigger cards just wouldn't work. If your one of these customers who is generally happy with their old camera but need more storage then this is the SD card for you.".