Retrofit Cruise Control

Matt

Reaction score
Probably the one thing I wish my car had so thinking about getting it retrofitted depending on how much its going to cost me!

How much should I be expecting to pay for supplying, fitting and any coding that needs to be done? Best to get a dealer to do it or are there any garages/people on here in the North West that are just as good and cheaper at fitting using genuine parts?

And if I had a warranty claim in the future and had retrofit cruise does it affect it in anyway?

Awesome GTi do it (and at a very good rate too!) If you have the APR remap from them, you "The APR remap allows a user to have multiple performance programs and options on their vehicles computer, ready to be changed through the buttons of the factory cruise control switch."

Have you had it done by them? Or has anyone else on here?

Just looked on their site and it seems a decent enough price.

Not had it done yet as I've not bought an A3 yet - just doing some research on here first

Matt said:
Probably the one thing I wish my car had so thinking about getting it retrofitted depending on how much its going to cost me!

How much should I be expecting to pay for supplying, fitting and any coding that needs to be done? Best to get a dealer to do it or are there any garages/people on here in the North West that are just as good and cheaper at fitting using genuine parts?

And if I had a warranty claim in the future and had retrofit cruise does it affect it in anyway?

I got mine fitted by the dealer when I bought the car (2nd hand) as part of the deal. I believe the cost would have been £230. The garage farmed it out to another company to do the actual work, so it might be cheaper to go direct.

Certainly it is covered under the warranty and I couldn't live without it now!

Don't forget to inform your insurance company of the modification though!

G-man

I wont be telling them about it. Not told them about any of my other non standard spec.

VW Cruise works out a bit more expensive than Awesome GTI even taking into account the travelling to Awesome.

If you are handy with the spanners it is a perfectly do-able DIY job. It is plug and play in terms of components but you have to do a bit if disassembly and reassembly (including airbag) and you will need to know someone with VAG-COM to do the necessary coding.

I did mine for the myself for the princely sum of £85 for the parts.

I enquired at my Stealer for retro-crusie fitting.

The answer back was good - they broke down all the costs per item and fitting costs etc and it all came in for about £220 I think. But, they said if I needed the steering ECU changing then this was an additional £120 (approx) but they would not be able to tell me if this was required until they took a look at it.

So I will be opting for http://www.vwcruise.com/index.html to do the complete retro fit for me as it is similar price (with call out) or cheaper and he can fit it on my driveway or place of work etc ...

As Marms says, do it yourself - the parts from Audi for my A4 cost me under £70. I wouldnt even think of paying someone over £200 for it. It takes half hour to fit so thats a labour charge of over £250 per hour!

I dont really fancy doing it myself to be honest. Dont have VAGcom or access to it. I'd rather pay a pro to do it for me and know it was done right.

Its £149+VAT at Awesome GTI

Got a quote from my Audi dealer (Hadwins, Lindale). £359.30 inc VAT, labour & parts. Will be going to Awesome I reckon!

Matt said:
Got a quote from my Audi dealer (Hadwins, Lindale). £359.30 inc VAT, labour & parts. Will be going to Awesome I reckon!

That's a joke:asskicking: . My audi dealer (Glasgow) quoted £180 inc VAT, labour & parts. I thought that was great for Audi.

In the end I bought the parts from VAG parts and fitted it myself. Took just over an hour and it's working great. No matter how/where you get it installed you'll be glad you did. Going to work and back is a breeze now and my MPG has increased too.

J

Is the price at Awesome for the 8L or 8P platform?. I would of thought it was for the earlier model.
The cruise on the 8P A3 is different to the one on the 8L A3. The 8L uses a different stalk in exchange for the Indicator/headlight stalk, whereas the 8P uses an additional stalk that just does cruise, this means you need a different lower cowl as well, you may also need a steering ECU too. I paid £280 through the dealer and had it fitted before I picked the car up. I also did the cruise mod myself on my old LCR(same as the 8L) and that cost me £80 all in.

Stupid post of the month !!
Matt said:
I wont be telling them about it. Not told them about any of my other non standard spec.

VW Cruise works out a bit more expensive than Awesome GTI even taking into account the travelling to Awesome.

OK, so now your insurance is null and void, why did you pay for it in the first place ? People like you that mess it up for the rest of us.

paddy said:
Stupid post of the month !!

OK, so now your insurance is null and void, why did you pay for it in the first place ? People like you that mess it up for the rest of us.

No its not, get off your high horse! My insurance company didn't want to know what options I had on the car unless it was things like different wheels and suspension which I would then had to declare and have done with previous cars in the past thankyou very much. Wind your neck in.

Matt said:
No its not, get off your high horse! My insurance company didn't want to know what options I had on the car unless it was things like different wheels and suspension which I would then had to declare and have done with previous cars in the past thankyou very much. Wind your neck in.

Well said mate.

J