Best Switchable Tuning Company

emzino

Reaction score
Well I had my A3 have a look over as it had some small niggles by a friend who works at Audi and we were discussing the future of my car.
I said how I wasn't sure about whether it was worth it or not to do the full monty and tune the car to it's max etc etc.

Anyway he said why not just get a switchable remap, I expressed how a new clutch will cost me a bomb but he just said how he'd do it for dirt cheap (and when he means dirt cheap, he really meant DIRT CHEAP!).

So, as far as I know these are the companies that do such a thing:
- Bluefin
- Superchips
- GIAC

I'm just looking for something reliable, for me & my car to be taken car of and powerful.
The last review I read of a tuned car was done by GIAC and by the looks of it they seem to be the best at it so far but there in Sheffield which is quite far from where I am (South London).

I haven't got Warranty so not fussed about the counter but it should meet my small requirements above. I want it to be switchable so it can go back to stock when it comes to selling it.

Thanks in advance.

I think there are GIAC dealers all over mate, IIRC Regal the main dealer is down south ( very down , Portsmouth i think )

Revo also do switchable maps!

p

Superchips and bluefin are the same thing, bluefin is just the name of the handset.

Go with GIAC they are much better

Revo is switchable and so are the AMD maps

EDIT: AMD is switchable with the cruise control stalk, I think!

JohnS3 said:
Revo is switchable and so are the AMD maps

EDIT: AMD is switchable with the cruise control stalk, I think!

Have REVO got a handset now?

Johnnyb said:
Have REVO got a handset now?

For CAN based cars like the A3 you need a Select or Select plus. Both have stock and performance switchability, octane specific settings and anti-theft mode. The plus also has variable boost and timing settings and user presets
For the older k-line cars you need an SPS1 or SPS3, I'm not sure if the new switches are backward compatible.

Right i'm gonna go for GIAC! I re-read all the GIAC threads and it just sounds like they deliver the power smoothly rather than making it very harsh.

I've e-mailed Regal and just waiting for a reply.

Thing is... I hope it's just not a case of increasing boost to an unsustainable level that will eventually kill off the Turbo... I mean I can save up the money for the clutch but the Turbo will absolutely wreck me!

Also, would it be best to get anything else done to the car while i'm there such as filter or exhaust? I promised myself I wouldn't and strictly stick to the remap but if the above additional mods will help... heck, why not! :rockwoot:

Just get the map at first mate, and maybe a uprated DV valve, as for the zorst i think that would be classed as a stage two map? to make it worth while you would need the whole turbo back system and down pipe, the best part of a grand for a decent one!

p

phantom said:
Just get the map at first mate, and maybe a uprated DV valve, as for the zorst i think that would be classed as a stage two map? to make it worth while you would need the whole turbo back system and down pipe, the best part of a grand for a decent one!

p

You'll get a full turbo back Miltek for your diesel for around £550/£600 dependant on how good you are at negotiating. I went down this route with a previous A3 2.0tdi, bluefin, full miltek, Green panel filter.

If it were me I'd just do the map initially and see how you get on, the zorst and filter make less of a difference in overall power gains but did improve spool up speed and breathability, pls the jet style pipes look great.

If you have cruise you could also consider APR which offer a switchable map via the stalk, quite pricey though.

Because you are not worried about warranty and flash counters etc any of the main players would give similar, reliable gains so it may come down to price, in no particular order I suggest..

GIAC
Bluefin
Revo
APR

Spin140 said:
You'll get a full turbo back Miltek for your diesel for around £550/£600 dependant on how good you are at negotiating. I went down this route with a previous A3 2.0tdi, bluefin, full miltek, Green panel filter.

If it were me I'd just do the map initially and see how you get on, the zorst and filter make less of a difference in overall power gains but did improve spool up speed and breathability, pls the jet style pipes look great.

If you have cruise you could also consider APR which offer a switchable map via the stalk, quite pricey though.

Because you are not worried about warranty and flash counters etc any of the main players would give similar, reliable gains so it may come down to price, in no particular order I suggest..

GIAC
Bluefin
Revo
APR

I think i'm gonna go the Giac route in time ( i want a base plot first ) have you got a panel filter on yours yet?

Thanks

p

phantom said:
I think i'm gonna go the Giac route in time ( i want a base plot first ) have you got a panel filter on yours yet?

Thanks

p

With the S3 8P - GIAC everytime, admittedly I have nothing to compare it to but Johnny B moved from Bluefin to GIAC and is very satisfied plus I've had bluefin on my old Mk5 Gti. GIAC offered all that I required

I've not gone down the filter route this time as I'm attempting to keep the car totally standard looking especially for any dealer visits with a view to protecting the warranty. Having said that I don't expect to get any problems but why advertise the fact.

Ps Base figure for S3 = fast
Base figure for GIAC S3 = Very F' fast :)

Spin140 said:
With the S3 8P - GIAC everytime, admittedly I have nothing to compare it to but Johnny B moved from Bluefin to GIAC and is very satisfied plus I've had bluefin on my old Mk5 Gti. GIAC offered all that I required

I've not gone down the filter route this time as I'm attempting to keep the car totally standard looking especially for any dealer visits with a view to protecting the warranty. Having said that I don't expect to get any problems but why advertise the fact.

Ps Base figure for S3 = fast
Base figure for GIAC S3 = Very F' fast :)

Your due to run at the RR day arnt you? see what a Std S3 is putting out against your GIAC"D S3

Lovely

p

Yes, however although interested to see the curve and figures the most important thing for me is how it feels behind the wheel, see you there :)

Well i've just got an e-mail from Paul @ Regal Autosport & it sounds very very promising. The procedures that they carry out as well the un-refusable offer he's put on the plate means i'm going with GIAC =D

Now i'm having to work alot of harder nowadays with Uni & work itself so I won't be able to do it until mid February but it'll definitely happen!

Can't wait!!!

emzino said:
Well i've just got an e-mail from Paul @ Regal Autosport & it sounds very very promising. The procedures that they carry out as well the un-refusable offer he's put on the plate means i'm going with GIAC =D

Now i'm having to work alot of harder nowadays with Uni & work itself so I won't be able to do it until mid February but it'll definitely happen!

Can't wait!!!

Good man, you'll fall in love with your car all over again.

I think I'm gonna go for the Revo. It depends which kinda of map you want emzino, progressive or aggressive? The bluefin is "progressive" the Revo is "Aggressive"....

Errr not sure lol. GIAC sound like you get the best of both actually.

- They run diagnostics
- Check for any updates from Audi for my ECU
- Upload my ECU software and send it off to GIAC
- Send back new ECU software
- Upload it to my A3
- Give it a run to make sure everythings as it should be

There getting a new rolling road put in place too and Paul gave me a good deal for before & after rolling road plots to be included in the price!

Can't see Revo or Bluefin/Superchips topping that to be honest...

N8KOW said:
I think I'm gonna go for the Revo. It depends which kinda of map you want emzino, progressive or aggressive? The bluefin is "progressive" the Revo is "Aggressive"....

The Revo map can be configured for Fuelling Boost and Timing by the dealer on petrol cars (diesels are not adjustable). So calling the Revo map aggressive isn't the case. Just to clarify things.

N8KOW said:

Has your car got Quattro emzino? ( i don't know all the models yet ;o) )

If it's not i'd deffo go with the GIAC with its nice curve of progressive power!

If you went for the Revo you'd just spin it all away ( in this weather anyway ) unless you have a very light foot and tickle the throttle!

p

phantom said:
Has your car got Quattro emzino? ( i don't know all the models yet ;o) )

If it's not i'd deffo go with the GIAC with its nice curve of progressive power!

If you went for the Revo you'd just spin it all away ( in this weather anyway ) unless you have a very light foot and tickle the throttle!

p

Heh no worries mate. Na it's not got Quattro, just FWD but got the F1 badboys on there so hopefully should give me above average grip plus I know to stop it from wheel spinning even with ESP off ;)
I know I definitely won't do anything in 1st Gear or else i'm just asking for it... any "spirited drives" will be from 2nd Gear onwards!

N8KOW said:
I was speaking about petrol from what John was sayin about the power delivery on his S3. Thanks Mike.

I was only qutoing you mate for your reference's to progressive and aggressive!

Not disagreeing with you.

Thanks

p

can someone tell me what are the pros and cons of having it as an optional switch remap over a permenant remap?

The switchable remap allows you to turn the car back to stock, mainly for visits to the dealer for servicing or if you allow your 'significant other' to drive the car and you don't want them driving it in 'turbo nutter b'stard' mode.

I had one lady customer who always switched it to stock when her boyfriend drove it, it drove him nuts that she was always much faster when she drove it. Class.

Is it me or do they not seem to list the 2.0TDI on there website as an engine they support for remaps? - GIAC I mean.

Its a fairly new release for the 140tdi with work in progress for the 170 to ensure nil DFP issues.

I wasn't overly impressed with content on the web site so asked questions via the contact section with a fairly quick response (@24hrs).

I'm sure Regal or my chosen dealer 'Statller' will be able to answer any queries you may have.