To ABT or not ABT???

petewon

Reaction score
Its Akoya silver.

Problem is Ive seen some fitted that look good and some which I thought were terrible.

I am very interested in one of these too. Is the modification reversable if it looks cr@p or are you drilling holes in the existing bumper? My cars Avus so think it should look ok.

Nope no drilling holes, it just sticks on using adhesive so if you do decide to remove it you will need to either try and remove the adhesive without damaging the paint or get it rsprayed. Will probs look better with your votex spoiler too.

Im probs gonna go for a dry fitting tonight and see what it looks like, Ill keep yall posted.

By the way mate, I got mine for about £90 which is a lot cheaper than the £160 RRP. PM me if you want more details.

should turn out good, go for it and post up with some pics! i am also looking for something like this, does anyne know of anymore, i understand oettinger do one but cannot find it

pete, from the hofele link im getting the impression they changed the whole front bumper and bonnet, im jus looking for something cheaper involving the front grill change only

this is the oettinger

1589mis.jpg

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_2388.shtml

i can find pictures of these single frame grill to double frame grill adapter / prefacelift to postfacelift front conversions but cannot find the places that actually sell them? any direct online store links appreciated

killa_z said:
pete, from the hofele link im getting the impression they changed the whole front bumper and bonnet, im jus looking for something cheaper involving the front grill change only
I dont think the hoffle one needs a new bonnet, if you notice on some of the pics of the lighter colour cars you can see a strip around the top of the grill, that is to compensate for smaller bonnet on the prefacelift 8P.

It is a full bumper and grill though, not just a replacement grill. So RRP is about £320 and possible quite a bit of work to fit.

petewon said:
Nope no drilling holes, it just sticks on using adhesive so if you do decide to remove it you will need to either try and remove the adhesive without damaging the paint or get it rsprayed. Will probs look better with your votex spoiler too.

Im probs gonna go for a dry fitting tonight and see what it looks like, Ill keep yall posted.

By the way mate, I got mine for about £90 which is a lot cheaper than the £160 RRP. PM me if you want more details.

Look forward to seeing the pics and PM'd for more details.

cheers :)

Theres a few more pics on the original link I posted. if you have a look down on the right hand side of the page.

I agree that its ganna look better with a front spoiler.

anyone got anymore pics.

I trust this is just a grill conversion for the 03/04 8p's.

Wheres the best place to get it.

Some kits are good, some are really bad in the flesh. I saw the Caractere one at Audi MK, and it looked aweful.

Not too sure about the ABT one, just seems to sit too proud.

I like the look of it very much, not as a replica to the Audi SFG but a look in its own right. If you compare it to the Audi SFG yeh it does not look the same and I don't think anything other than a bonnet/bumper and grill change will give you the look. But the ABT is a very nice change to the standard early A3 grill IMO.

mmm originally i wasnt sure on it at all, still not convinced but I have to admit that that looks nice above!

Sussex A3 3.2 Quattro said:
Are the items on Ebay genuine ABT or copies to be so cheap ?

Bought from private individual who originally bought this item for his company car. But because instruction state that sanding/roughening of paintwork is to be done in order for supplied glue to set decided that he couldn't use for obvious reasons. I just stuck loads of double sided foam tape and a load of silicone sealant and it's stuck to the car like Mick Jagger sucking a drain plunger!

still unsure about the ABT one but am liking the hofele and oettinger one, reason being is that the ABT one looks like its just a bigger 'number plate panel' compared to the original prefacelift front when i want the conversion to be more 'grill' on the front to look like the post facelisft if you catch my drift....

nonetheless, they all look better than the orignal 2003-2004 small front grills

killa_z said:
still unsure about the ABT one but am liking the hofele and oettinger one, reason being is that the ABT one looks like its just a bigger 'number plate panel' compared to the original prefacelift front when i want the conversion to be more 'grill' on the front to look like the post facelisft if you catch my drift....

nonetheless, they all look better than the orignal 2003-2004 small front grills

Catch your Drift!

But considering how much the Hofele and Oettinger options are the ABT provides an excellent look for a fraction of the money

Von Maximo said:
Catch your Drift!

But considering how much the Hofele and Oettinger options are the ABT provides an excellent look for a fraction of the money

very true, a decent upgrade for a very resonable amount!

Superb lookslike I got me a free one.

thanks very much :icon_thumright:

Asrequested will post up during and after pics.

Not sure when it will arrive however.

Also......Is the ABT badge removable.?

K-Dash said:
Asrequested will post up during and after pics.

Not sure when it will arrive however.

Also......Is the ABT badge removable.?

The ABT badge is just stuck on by yourself so It's upto you if you decide to put it on or not.

Although if you decide not to put it on it will leave a small raised part on the main black plastic as ABT have moulded this is such a way that the badge sticks out more. Crap if you don't wish to have the badge but it's not that noticable.

Well folk, Ive not got round to fitting mine and could do with the cash so if anyones after one mines for sale. £90 + p&p.

Its on ebay at the moment but if anyone heres after it just give me a shout.

Cheers.

didnt notice till recently but the hofele seems to leave an ugly gap IMO in between the bumper and bonnet just above the end of the grill !!