Turbo whistle

its the exhaust making the noise, happens with a lot of TDI's especially when remapped and have a diferent exhaust

yep i felt that the sound got a bit louder now that i have an "extra power" map from superchips...

Sounds like a supercharger to me. Now is it normal for it to whine (spool) when idle? I thought it only did that when it was inbetween a certain rev range e.g. 2k-3.5k

Got myself a cable and VAG-COM shareware and read this from the fault codes under Engine:

Wednesday, 03 October 2007, 18:19:53

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 016 G

Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 5705

Software Coding: 0000072

Work Shop Code: WSC 00066

1 Fault Found:

16618 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)

P0234 - 000 - -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to have it serviced in 2 weeks, and they have noted the sound and will try to find the leak. But could a leak cause an overboost?

The limp mode is setting in quite often now, and the whistling sound is very clear.

Found this at http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/16618/P0234/000564

16618/P0234/000564 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)

Possible Symptoms

• Boost pressure too high
  • Reduced power output
Possible Causes

• Hoses incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
  • Malfunction N75
Possible Solutions

• Check charge pressure control
  • Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)

Is there any way i can check hoses myself ?

It sounds fine to me with a straight Turbo back pipe, just what i Expected to hear.

It does not sound fine, it is way to high compared to when i bought the car. Sound has increased in the past month, so probably a leaky hose...

If only i could find some info on where the hoses are

Did you get the car with the exhaust on? The turbo will spool right from the off, cant think what hose would make it sound louder

Lots of info here... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589

" The current state of the problem is this:
The car whistles when you accelerate. I got under it just a bit ago, and it really sounds like it's coming from inside the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter looks like it is the original one that came on the car. It's pretty rusted and has a big dent on it.

So, could a clogged CC be my prob?"

"Yes, a clogged cat could cause it..."

I doubt it, that wont make the Turbo whistle louder unless the cc breaking down reducing the baffling effect? unless its blowing in that area

If its a overboost problem then it could the one of the following:

Faulty Boost Solenoid

Faulty Wastegate - if fitted

Faulty Dump Valve

Faulty Diverter Valve

Kinked Boost Pipe or Boost Vacuum Pipe

ok sorry, i missed that. so as said it could be a leak to the wastegate actuator or at the boost solenoid. I doubt it would overboost due to the DV. try and see if you can trace the vacuum pipes there should be 1 off the turbo outlet and 1 to the wastegate actuator they should lead to the boost soelnoid, I had one split (on my Subaru) which was causing overboost.

The more wear/pitting on the leading edge of the compressor blades, the louder a 'whistle' you will get.

This often happens after running a 'performance' filter for an extended time, they generally let through larger particles.

Well the service has been done, and as i guessed: "The sound is coming from the Turbo"

They checked for leaks in the hoses, but found nothing and checked the boost pressure which was fine.

They said a new turbo was needed to fix the overboost problem, which would cost 18000 NOK (1500 squid).

I told em to stick it :)

Since my Upsolute remap, I've noticed a faint noise that rises with the revs. It sounds a bit like the alternator whine (except that its not from the radio/CD).

If its the exhaust, is this something to be concerned about?

Sorry to bump an old thread, it was the first result on a google search for "audi a3 whistling turbo".
About a month ago i got my turbo swopped out for a reconditioned one, due to it becoming a whistler. As soon as it was replaced, the whistling went away, but now a month later the whistling has slowly come back?? The mechanic at the garage who did the work for me did say that the original turbo they took out actually seemed fine, i.e. there was no play in the main bearing screw. Im going to ring them today and see what they say, but im wondering if it could be anything alse thats causing the problem? or am i just unluckly that the reconditioned turbo wasnt very good.