Todays mods: RNS-E DVD Nav; Dietz 1417 Multimedia Interface; RS4 Alcantara wheel

mwstewart

Reaction score
Website
www.mwstewart.co.uk
http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/s3/3.jpg

http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/s3/1.jpg

http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/s3/2.jpg

http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/s3/4.jpg

I love Alcantara steering wheels, I have one in my M3 and I've loved them ever since I saw one in the B5 RS4.

Dietz 1417 lets me play videos from my iPod and also sound, so saves me buying a seperate interface.

RNS-E is well handy, speaks for itself really. I must say thanks to Steve as I used his coding information to set it up in VAG-COM :thumbsup:

I shall write some guides and add to my site when I get the time.

Excellent Mark! Looks fantastic! How much was the unit?

So you have an M3 and the S3? cool!

Be good to see some guides of how to do it all.

Rob

oh - how's the remap? any good? :D ...is it quick enough for you yet? :p lol

recomdos said:
Excellent Mark! Looks fantastic! How much was the unit?

So you have an M3 and the S3? cool!

Be good to see some guides of how to do it all.

Rob

oh - how's the remap? any good? :D ...is it quick enough for you yet? :p lol
Hey mate, yeah I do, it's spoiled me a bit really and probably why I find the S3 too slow. I had to re-arrange with John as something came up last weekend, it'll be done sometime this week though :thumbsup:

I got all the parts from ebay:
RNS-E D revision - £434
Conversion lead - £39
Dietz £112
Steering wheel £229

Prices include delivery, most parts came from other countries in the EU.

....I could afford the conversion lead! hahah.

I was looking at an S3 teh other day with SatNav factory fitted. Looked cool. What is the navigation like? i.e. compare to the likes of tom tom etc for accuracy....saying that you've probably not had chance to go anywhere with it just yet! heh.

Some cool toys there bud :icon_thumright:

You have been busy Mark, glad to help out BTW. What source are you feeding the RNS-E with...DVD? You just need to fill the small gap above the RNS-E.

I like the wheel, have you put the S3 badge in there?

The RNS-E is excellent! I can only compare it to 2 other systems; the M3 and a Garmin Nuvi portable unit.

The user interface is a lot better than in the BMW, the shortcuts are excellent and the processor is obviously better as page transitions are slightly faster. Here's a shot of mine:

You can see its quite simplisitc although it can be upgraded to give a perspective view. I guess that's not a fair comparison though as the new 3 series has a new nav system!

Compared with the portable unit, the time taken to input a destination on is greater. The Nuvi's touch screen really does help here. The RNS-E relies heavily on the rotary knob and inputting long/complex destinations can be a little time consuming. This is par for the course with inbuilt systems at the moment, they really need touch screens!

The screen layout has everything you need; time to destination; miles to next turn etc. The system can be set to automatically split screen when approaching an intersection, and gives a map overview in one pane and a zoomed in layout of the intersection in the other pane - that is pretty sweet. You can set points of interest to be displayed, car parks etc - handy for finding petrol stations.

One thing I have come to rely on is voice control, I'm not sure if that can be added to the Audi system though. In summary though its an excellent unit, and very well thought out.

steve1975l said:
You have been busy Mark, glad to help out BTW. What source are you feeding the RNS-E with...DVD? You just need to fill the small gap above the RNS-E.

I like the wheel, have you put the S3 badge in there?

Thanks again! In that screen shot its being fed from the iPod. I considered putting an aluminium finisher in the gap above the unit but to be honest you really don't notice it once in the car, it does look like it was there from the factory :)

Rather than prying the S3 badge off my old wheel I'm going to have a vinyl sticker made to cover the RS4 one.

Do you have the strip that came with the A4 unit at the bottom?

Doh should have read your first post...see what happens when you put pictures in, everyone (Perhaps just me) looks at them and doesn't read the text.

Appologies Mark if I am hjacking this thread but seeing as it is on a similiar topic I thought I would go for it. This is what I have been doing last week other than work & putting a bathroom in.

PS2 in boot.
Boot.jpg

RNS-E.jpg

steve1975l said:
Appologies Mark if I am hjacking this thread but seeing as it is on a similiar topic I thought I would go for it. This is what I have been doing last week other than work & putting a bathroom in.

Nice work!! :respekt:

RE: Strip - yes it should be perfect, it just needs milling along one edge :)

steve1975l said:

PS2 in boot.

what size is that jl , is it where the standard bose subs are , looks very good

It is the Andymac sub to replace the plastic Bose rubbish. I think it is a 6.5" but sounds like a 10".

I'm thinking of installing a PS2 in the boot too, i have the TV unit with AUX inputs, so all i need is the power, i see on Ebay they are selling 12v power adaptors for them, just wondered where you took your power from in the boot?

Im thinking il probably invest in some wireless controllers, then its just a case of looking into remote power switching for the PS2, to save me getting out and opening the boot each time i wana have a game !!

Any help / input much appreciated!!

James

Don't I repeat don't buy a cheap power adator. I have wired a momentary switch in parallel to the existing one.

The bulky PS2 wont fit in the boot unless you modify it so the memory card and wireless adapter is internal which is what I am going to do on Monday.

thanks for the advice.

I will try and source a good power adaptor. I had the same idea about wiring a switch in, then i guess il find somewhere to mount it discreetly.

Cheers

can you use the airbag from the s3 steering wheel on the rs4 steering wheel?

this may sound silly but when you fit the RNS-E DVD in do you have to change the heater control part? or does it just move down where the flip up compartment is? i really like yours i want one now :thumbsup:

You have to trim the climate control unit a bitas its smaller at the bottom. Alternatively you can buy a climate control unit from a car with double din

i want this, didnt know you could fit new audi sat nav in older car, what model sat nav unit will i need, what cables will i need to connect and what do i need to have tv/dvd.................anyone with info or willing to help with upgrade:blush:

search for RNS-E and you will find plenty of info. There is also a pdf guide floating about which is really good

I love Alcantara steering wheels, I have one in my M3 and I've loved them ever since I saw one in the B5 RS4.

Dietz 1417 lets me play videos from my iPod and also sound, so saves me buying a seperate interface.

RNS-E is well handy, speaks for itself really. I must say thanks to Steve as I used his coding information to set it up in VAG-COM :thumbsup:

I shall write some guides and add to my site when I get the time.

were are ya heated seat switches mate