Throttle Body Clean.

nickaudi41

Reaction score
:jester: I'm going to clean my throttle body tonight but I read from a different forum that you have to reset the throttle with VAG-COM after cleaning it?

Is this true or will a ECU reset do the same?

Unplugging the battery will do the same thing, the engine will cycle the throttle body on plugging it back in.

Let us know how you get on, I plan to do this, this weekend. As mine has done 100K

I did this a couple of weeks ago, mine was filthy :(

I took off the hose on the right off the picture and removed the 2 screws highlighted with red circles.

Throttle_Body_1.jpg

But when trying to get the throttle body off it wouldn't move.

Throttle_Body_2.jpg

Am I being really stupid or does it need a good bash?http://audi-sport.net/gallery/data/523/medium/Throttle_Body_1.jpg

Use some brake cleaner or isopropyl alcohol to clean it out, wont damage anything.

would obviosuly be best to change it, but as long as you dont damage it, and tighten up each bolt a little at a time when putting it back on it will be fine

Just to add that after the throttle body has recalibrated itself the car will go through the adaptation process and may feel not quite as quick for a while.
Nothing to worry about.

funnily enough, i've always found a car to be faster during the re-learn miles than when its settled down.

Think I will try this this weekend. Are we supposed to drive in a particular way when the car re-learns i.e. under so many revs etc etc? Anyone know the part number for replacing the gasket and is there a torque setting for the bolts?

curiously, what are the mileage on peoples cars?mines on 59K and just wondered if its worth doing!?

campbell said:
curiously, what are the mileage on peoples cars?mines on 59K and just wondered if its worth doing!?

tbh, mileage is pretty much unimportant - its the type of journeys you make. It's far more likely to gum up more quickly by doing slow stop start journeys.

I did mine last night.. just taken itout and it feels far more responsive.. Mine had done 60k and was filthly

nickelvery said:
I took off the hose on the right off the picture and removed the 2 screws highlighted with red circles.

Throttle_Body_1.jpg

But when trying to get the throttle body off it wouldn't move.

Throttle_Body_2.jpg

Am I being really stupid or does it need a good bash?http://audi-sport.net/gallery/data/523/medium/Throttle_Body_1.jpg

Wow, ok whenever I've cleaned my throttle body I've never removed these screws. I just remove the silicon/rubber pipe connecting the throttle body to the IC and clean it through there. Have I been doing this wrong? because it seems like you guys remove the "whole" throttle body out of the car, is this right?

Yeah its better to take it off as you are only cleaning one side of the body.. Mine was covered on both sies of the flap..

Defratos said:
and its ok to move the flap around to clean it? and would I need another gasket? How does this look?

no way!! not unless you have a cable operated TB. The stepper motor must not be moved at all.

I moved the flap thingy loads, car was way better after the clean, no issues here!

right, just finished cleaning the throttle body, tbh i cant say it has made any difference.

It was filthy though - im sire worth it in the long term

I did it on the weekend just gone. Didnt make much difference wasnt very dirty though. Good for piece of mind though

I thought the Radio would need the code putting in it didnt is this normal?

twist said:
I did it on the weekend just gone. Didnt make much difference wasnt very dirty though. Good for piece of mind though

I thought the Radio would need the code putting in it didnt is this normal?

Yep, had my radio out about 10 times, never asked for it. I think it interrogates the ECU and as its connected to the right one it doesn't ask for code.

Just thought i'd let you all know I did mine yesterday and it was a complete mess, cleaned up really well. Only problem is I snaped a breather hose. Only a small one but it was so brital. Going to audi today to see if they can supply me with the part. If anyone know waht I need to ask for heres where it goes

It goes from the air intake pipe, under the throttle body, along the back of the engine and connects to a pipe at the back.

Oh and I had to put my radio code in when I had finished but I did have the battery off for over an hour.

Car seem a little better but I'm being a bit careful until I get a new hose.

Cheers

Thats bizzare about your radio, I didn't use my car for over 3 weeks and the battery went completely dead, the radio still didn't ask for a code.

the battery went dead on my s3 (partial can-bus) and the rns-d needed a code.

Going to have a go this myself along with the MAF but I haven't got a clue where to get some of this Isopropyl, Blackpool doesn't seem to have a n Isopropyl Shop or even an "Isopropyls R Us", can anyone give me a clue?
Cheers All :icon_thumright:

Isoclene from a computer cleaning product website, or go into your local proper pharmacy (not boots) and tell them you want some isopropyl for cleaning. Failing that Maplins and RS and CPC all do it.