RNS-E SW0550 TMC

Spook

Reaction score
Does anyone have the above DVD and can assist me with a copy?

I'd obviously be happy to pay postal costs etc.

Thanks chaps.

Is this the map disk with TMC or just a driver disk to update the RNS? I have the one ending with 'H'. Would this disk help me? I definitely don't have TMC at the moment...If so, would it be possible to get a copy also! Happy to cover all costs obviously! Thanks in advance guys...

Whats the differences mate with the 0600 s/w to the 0550 s/w?

I was hoping the roads would have been updated as half of my street is not on the 0550 s/w disc even though the estate is 9yrs old!!

Another thing I was hoping is the shuffle function on the music does not go off if any other button is pressed ie fast forwarding a track knocks the shuffle off and it has to be enetered again, this bug was apparently getting fixed in the next firmware release.

I don't have an ungraded map disc, just the operating s/w; am still running 2007/1 disc. 0550 locks up quite a bit for no reason - 0600 should fix that.

Not sure about the shuffle thing, I will check it out. That always annoyed me with my Phatbox when on random and I wanted to skip to the next random track - you can't. Will check it out later today and let you know!

JamS3 said:
Whats the differences mate with the 0600 s/w to the 0550 s/w?

Not sure about the maps as I only have the software update. The only visible difference I can see is "Frequency" has now become "Waveband" when the radio is on.

Spoke to ACS and dealer, who were about as useful as a chocolate teapot. "They all do that sir", "That's how Audi designed it". "It's not a fault so they won't fix it".

Oh, you gotta love customer service...

JamS3: who said it was going to be fixed in the next f/w?

a3norwich said:
Nope. Doesn't sort the shuffle problem out. Rubbish!
Fantastic. So we'll have to wait for 0650 or 0700 now! Has it sorted the locking up issue? I suppose you'll have to run with it for a while until it happens again.

Audi don't see it as a bug and have no intention of sorting it out apparently. I raised a complaint with CS today.

Not locked up since I upgraded (Monday)

JohnS3 said:
Been running it for a week now and it's not locked up yet....
It can be done, mine sometimes locks when I try to switch from Nav info to map view ....

Yup, it's on the 2008 DVD map discs or google for the s/w only. Just tried the s/w out. You also get an altimeter reading in the nav settings too!

Where is the 2008 maps dvd available from? My supplying dealer says 2weeks to 2 months. My local dealer says 200 2007 dvds are to be shifted before the 2008 dvd is rolled out!

Twizzler said:
Where is the 2008 maps dvd available from? My supplying dealer says 2weeks to 2 months. My local dealer says 200 2007 dvds are to be shifted before the 2008 dvd is rolled out!

They are talking crap - speak to another Audi dealer if you want to purchase one, or get one from Ebay or elsewhere online.

Issac Hunt said:
They are talking crap - speak to another Audi dealer if you want to purchase one, or get one from Ebay or elsewhere online.
Second that - I got mine in December from a contact in Belgium.

The local dealer checked his computer and told me the only one listed in the UK currently is the 2007 version. He said he would need to make a phone call to ascertain the position. He then came back after a while to say there were currently 200 in the system to be shifted before they could supply the 2008 ones. This seemed to tie in with the supplying dealers rather vague e-mail to me in which he said it could be 2 weeks or 2 months ie -depends how fast the 2007s go presumably.

Twizzler said:
The local dealer checked his computer and told me the only one listed in the UK currently is the 2007 version. He said he would need to make a phone call to ascertain the position. He then came back after a while to say there were currently 200 in the system to be shifted before they could supply the 2008 ones. This seemed to tie in with the supplying dealers rather vague e-mail to me in which he said it could be 2 weeks or 2 months ie -depends how fast the 2007s go presumably.

How the hell are some dealers still in business? This is complete garbage, how can they say they wont relaese you a new DVD untill all the old ones have gone? Who would buy last years DVD?

The part number you need is 8PO 919 884 AA. Quote this to Audi and tell them to order one, if they refuse then get onto customer services.

They aren't cheap though, around £200 IIRC

MarcQuinlivan said:
downloaded and applied 0650 with the SDS mod today. Seems to be a bit more stable than 0600.

I have the altimeter too, but apart from that I can't see any major differences.

Marc, how did you download this and get it into the unit?

download this, extract the .rar file and burn the contents to a CD\DVD. If you don't have winrar installed you'll get it at here

Turn on your RNS-E, eject the navigation disc, insert the new disc, close the door and it should start the update. if not you may need to change out of the navigation screen (into radio\cd), insert the new disc, close the door and then press the NAV button. The screen should then say "updating". It will run through, reboot, and show the updating screen again, then when it is finished it will power off. When you power it back on it will ask you for the navigation DVD. Do not turn the RNS-E off or remove the key from the ignition while the update is in progress as your unit may not function properly afterwards.

If you want to apply the SDS hack you'll need to download this and run it against the loading.kwi file from the extracted .rar file before burning it to DVD.

any questions, let me know.

Reactions: callmegoose
If someone could help me out with a working 2007 disk I would be immensley grateful. I downloaded it last week but it wont burn at all.

thanks.

You can download the 08 version now as well. If it wont burn then its probably down to your burner or burning software setup. Check out this thread on navplus for lots of info on 'back-up copies'

Yeah I've read that thread a while ago but Im not prepared to buy another dvd burner just for this as it works perfectly well for everything else I do. Just wondering if anyone else had it if they wouldnt mind doing me a copy and I would make it worth their while :)

MarcQuinlivan said:
Turn on your RNS-E, eject the navigation disc, insert the new disc, close the door and it should start the update. if not you may need to change out of the navigation screen (into radio\cd), insert the new disc, close the door and then press the NAV button. The screen should then say "updating". It will run through, reboot, and show the updating screen again, then when it is finished it will power off. When you power it back on it will ask you for the navigation DVD. Do not turn the RNS-E off or remove the key from the ignition while the update is in progress as your unit may not function properly afterwards.
Sound advice. During the update, the progress bar can sometimes remain still for a long period - you just have to leave it alone and sweat it out!

Issac Hunt said:
Or get the SDS hack pre-applied to the .kwi file from Here

Issac, got the file downloaded from your post link, its a zip file, whats the next step and what is SDS....

Thanks (hopefully), for your help... I think that my software is the first release with the enabled TMC...

rickquattro said:
Issac, got the file downloaded from your post link, its a zip file, whats the next step and what is SDS....

Thanks (hopefully), for your help... I think that my software is the first release with the enabled TMC...

SDS is speech dialog system. You'll need the MFSW and a microphone for it to work. It allows you to speak to the RNS-E instead of having to fiddle with the dials. you can use it to change between modes (radio\cd\nav\directory\phone), to change radio station, cd track. in nav mode you can spell the town\street\house number\postcode. If you have the phone prep installed you'll also need to do a bit of juggling with the wires at the back of the head unit to get the mic to work

you'll need to extract that zip file and burn the contents to a dvd, then follow my instructions in my earlier post.

If you don't have the MFSW then you should just apply the standard 0650 update.

MarcQuinlivan said:
you'll need to extract that zip file and burn the contents to a dvd

No need to waste a DVD, a blank CD will be fine. The file size is only something like 40 megs.

Extract using WinRar, when you finish burning the CD make sure it is finalised otherwise the RNS-E wont read it.

Issac Hunt said:
No need to waste a DVD, a blank CD will be fine. The file size is only something like 40 megs.
Correct. Even with all the SDS files the SW update is less than 30MB.