My new S-Line is here!

alanjonesbath

VAGOwners.co.uk
Reaction score
Website
www.vagowners.co.uk
After about 10 weeks of waiting my A3 is here :) How happy am I ;) And its lovely, so much more comfy and quiet than the Ibiza, and not a single rattle (yet ;) ). Engine pulls as well as the PD130 in the Ibiza did, or at least it seems too so far at least. The DSG gearbox is lovely. It'll take a bit of getting used to, but so does everything, but it makes round-town driving a breeze, and with the flappy paddles to knock it down a notch or two for overtaking, its pretty responsive too :) And, most importantly, with the DSG the missus will drive it, which means I can have a drink when we go out now ;)

For some reason I've ended up with a full leather interior. At the time of ordering you only got half-leather as standard, but since ordering the spec changed to full leather (and saw a price increase of around £500 too :( ), but I paid the old price but got the newer spec :) I'm loving the lazy-boy features, auto lights, auto wipers, auto diming mirrors, auto folding door mirrors. Its great. Its got the Symphony III 6-disc in dash MP3 CD changer, so I've currently got over 50 albums loaded in :p: Should keep me happy for a while, now I just have to figure out how to put it on random ;)

Anyway, here are some pics ;)

very nice

what is the colour? lava grey?

170 or 140?

You've obviously been a very good boy for the last year for Father Christmas to put one of those in your stocking. Looks great. I have to wait to February/March for my new Sportback. Which engine did you go for?

Nice - can we have some more pictures of the Symphony III , does it display track information?

RobinA3 said:
very nice

what is the colour? lava grey?

170 or 140?
Dolphin grey, and it is the 140 ;) To be honest, I was happy with the 140. Yeah the 170 is quicker, but then an S3 is quicker than the 170, and you've got to stop somewhere :)

d3fy said:
Nice - can we have some more pictures of the Symphony III , does it display track information?
I'll try and get some more pics of the radio tomorrow. But yes, its displays all the MP3 ID3 tag information of any MP3 disc in the changer, both on the screen and on the top line of the DIS. Actually, the menu system for navigating through the MP3 folders seems quite good so far, much better than the MP3 radio that came with my Ibiza. I haven't got an external CD changer or iPod interface though, so don't know if that would display tracks names from either of those sources.

Nelson_Wilbury said:
Storage pack too :D Very nice!
And luggage pack. Must confess that I got the luggage pack on mine primarily for the power socket but am a bit unimpressed with the net. When fitted to the anchor points it's so tight that you can barely get anything underneath it to secure it. Anyone else got any opinions on this?

Nope but thats handy advice for when I order my A3 S-line :D

I'm currently deciding whether to go for the 2.0TDi 170 Quattro or the 2.0T Quattro :)

Vertigo1 said:
And luggage pack. Must confess that I got the luggage pack on mine primarily for the power socket but am a bit unimpressed with the net. When fitted to the anchor points it's so tight that you can barely get anything underneath it to secure it. Anyone else got any opinions on this?
Yup, I noticed how tight it was too (it was difficult enough just to get the pegs hooked on!). Haven't really used it yet, though I'm sure I will soon enough when the missus wants to go shopping ;) Like you, I went for the luggage pack to get the 12v socket as well. Not sure how often it'll get used, but we wanted to carry a 12v cool box for a while now, and it'll be so much easier than trailing a wire all the way to dashboard. Handy for a tyre compressor thing as well I guess. To be honest, I'm guessing I'll use the luggage pack net more when its in the rear upright position that in the flat position, just to store a couple of things on a more permanent basis.

Yep, sole reason I specced it was so we can put a powered coolbox in there. We quite often go on length trips out for the day, sometimes across in Europe, and being able to keep food and drinks cool in there for prolonged periods will be a great bonus.

(Will also let me bring back copious quantities of German sausage on my next trip to the 'ring :) )

PS. "Rear upright position"? How do you mean exactly?

Nelson_Wilbury said:
I'm currently deciding whether to go for the 2.0TDi 170 Quattro or the 2.0T Quattro
You're mad if you don't get the TFSI. It's fantastic. And a diesel will NEVER give you as much fun

Nelson_Wilbury said:
Nope but thats handy advice for when I order my A3 S-line :D

I'm currently deciding whether to go for the 2.0TDi 170 Quattro or the 2.0T Quattro :)

this could open up another can of worms.......check out the thread a few down from this one

nice pictures mate - nothing like that new car smell!!!

Yep, sole reason I specced it was so we can put a powered coolbox in there. We quite often go on length trips out for the day, sometimes across in Europe, and being able to keep food and drinks cool in there for prolonged periods will be a great bonus.

Exactly the same! Never use the net but the 12v socket is very useful.

Vertigo1 said:
PS. "Rear upright position"? How do you mean exactly?
It mentions it in the manual I think (probably about the thickest car manual I've ever seen!). Basically clip two of the corner hooks into the rear lashing points, then hook each of the rings that come from the middle of the edges of the net to the hooks at the top of the boot space. Basically you end up with a pouch to put things in.

A photo probably explains better:

TDI-line said:
Lovely A3 enjoy.

But shame it doesn't have 5 doors and roof rails though. ;)
lol. We haven't got kids and rarely carry passengers, plus I prefer the look of the three door, and the wife hates roof rails with a passion :) Personally, I quite like them on estate cars, but she just can't stand them! The ones on the sportback might not have been so bad as they are lower profile than on most estate cars, but I bet she would still have kicked up a fuss ;)

That looks great.

Can't wait for mine now only 9 (ish) weeks to go.

I ordered mine a week or so after yours so I wonder if I will get the free leather upgrade :)

and the wife hates roof rails with a passion

Must be a femail thing because my wife is just the same. I did think about having them on my new Sportback but she hates them so much I decided to give in and have it without.

staz1000 said:
You're mad if you don't get the TFSI. It's fantastic. And a diesel will NEVER give you as much fun
Nice balanced view there, good to see you've weighed up all the pros and cons of the decision :rolleyes:

alanjonesbath said:
It mentions it in the manual I think (probably about the thickest car manual I've ever seen!). Basically clip two of the corner hooks into the rear lashing points, then hook each of the rings that come from the middle of the edges of the net to the hooks at the top of the boot space. Basically you end up with a pouch to put things in.

A photo probably explains better:
That looks way better! Must give that a try, cheers :)

Vertigo1 said:
That looks way better! Must give that a try, cheers :)
Actually, I've just been out now and used it and it works really well. Its actually quite good at holding loose bags and stuff behind it. I had a bag from Halfords with some cleaning stuff in, hooked round the little hook/handle thing, and then the bag behind the net. Didn't move one bit. Its also doing a fine job of keeping my big umbrella tucked away rather than having that rolling around the boot floor ;) Haven't found a use for the net underneath the parcel shelf yet though, I might shove my map in there, not sure what else though.

alanjonesbath said:
Haven't found a use for the net underneath the parcel shelf yet though, I might shove my map in there, not sure what else though.
My GF uses those bags for life for Tescos etc instead of collecting plastic bags, so I stash them in there - out of sight :thumbsup:

yeh defo wanna see more pics of the symphony III (or II+) who knows dont even think audi does!!!

you don't get a new car smell with leather - you just get that lovely leather smell and the best bit is it doesnt go away like new car smells does - it always smells of leather - its like a lifetime air freshener free of charge!

Vertigo1 said:
Nice balanced view there, good to see you've weighed up all the pros and cons of the decision :rolleyes:
I spent months deciding which car to get this year and when I had finished and was ready to order Audi started fitting the 170 tdi. I then spend weeks tryng to choose again.
At the end of it all I realised the extra power and the way it's delivered far outways the extra cost of fuel. And the TFSI isn't exactly a guzzler.
It's an awesome engine.
But then I would say that as I've got one ;)

ahaydock said:
My GF uses those bags for life for Tescos etc instead of collecting plastic bags, so I stash them in there - out of sight :thumbsup:
We use them as well, but we've also got a big freezer bag permantently in the boot for bringing home the shopping (20 minute journey), so we stash the long-life carrier bags in there.

So does anyone know if you can buy the Storage Pack as a retrofit, and price please? Don't need the power unless its included.

staz1000 said:
I spent months deciding which car to get this year and when I had finished and was ready to order Audi started fitting the 170 tdi. I then spend weeks tryng to choose again.
At the end of it all I realised the extra power and the way it's delivered far outways the extra cost of fuel. And the TFSI isn't exactly a guzzler.
It's an awesome engine.
But then I would say that as I've got one ;)
If you weighed up the options and decided it was the best engine for you then that's fine, just don't call other people mad for opting for the diesel when you know nothing about their circumstances or requirements.

BrianM said:
So does anyone know if you can buy the Storage Pack as a retrofit, and price please? Don't need the power unless its included.

You can retrofit the nifty little map net for about £18 iirc. I've still got to put it in our Online Shop but i've yet to photograph it properly and price it yet :)

Vertigo1 said:
If you weighed up the options and decided it was the best engine for you then that's fine, just don't call other people mad for opting for the diesel when you know nothing about their circumstances or requirements.
Sorry didn't mean to offend! It was supposed to be a light hearted comment.

hey alanjonesbath wheres these pics of symphony III in action you promised 2 days ago huh???????

Vertigo1 said:

Well, he IS right though :p
:blow:

Vertigo1 said:

i bought a storage net from ebay for £10 posted, non audi, and its great, very stretchy so you can put alot of stuff under it.

well worth a tenner!

I've got the storage pack and find the net brilliant for sticking bit's n bobs under. Laptop bag fits under and saves it rolling around the boot. Those that think it's to tight need to get in the gym to build up some strength!!