A3 Sportback Cup Holder problem

BrianM

BrianM
Reaction score
My son kindly bought me a Euro Cupholder for the dash of my 06 Sportback to replace the useless card drawer from Vag Parts. They had told him it was a direct replacement. I've taken an initial look at fitting and noticed the cupholder appears to be larger than the card drawer. Have they sent me the wrong part or am I missing something obvious, also how do I actually get the small facia off to replace. Any advice would be helpful please?

If you click here you will see a PDF file that shows hows to remove and install the Audi cup holder/storage tray. This may be of help.

If the items are Audi parts post the part numbers and I will check them in the parts catalogue.

Thanks thats very helpful, does the switch trim just prise/unclip off? I have the Symphony radio fitted which as we know is double Din and the trya is below the radio, I presume its a very similar procedure. But the actual cupholder looks wider than the tray? Surely I don't have to file the slot wider?

I assume it just unclips, perhaps with the aid of a thin screwdriver. I also assume that the genuine Audi storage tray and cup-holder are the same size as only one 'trim' is specified. If there are other than genuine Audi parts then some modification to the trim may be required.

Having just looked at the Euro Cup-holder for the A3 on the VAG-Parts website, the part number quoted (8P0 862 534 C5PR) is the same part number as the one shown in the Audi parts catalogue, so it looks as though it should be directly interchangable with the storage tray.

Thanks for the help chaps, i'll give it a little tweak tomorrow in the daylight and see what transpires. Definitely looks wider though! I presume I don't have to remove the radio then?

OK I got bored and popped out in the dark and gently prised the trim off, definitely not the same width as the coin tray so unless someone tells me there is an alternative facia then its a careful job with brother's Dremel?

there is a post somewhere regarding this problem, i think in the post it says that you have to trim the plastic to make it fit.

da3m said:
It wont fit without trimming if you have a symphony, I've got stuck into this job as soon as I got mine, here's the posts relating to this, my solution is about half way down with pics,

have fun!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=23088

Thanks for that help, looks good, I had another thought, why not trim the actual hole rather than the cup holder cover, or would that also look naff, investigation under way right now. Let you know the outcome. Thanks again all. :think:

Many thanks guys, and especially da3m for your links, did exactly as suggested and have now joined the "stealth" cup holder brigade. I had intended to widen the opening to accomodate the new cupholder with cover which on reflection would have left the finish less than perfect. The contour of the new cupholder does not match the original facia so would have looked odd to say the least. If in doubt follow da3m's suggestion in this link. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=23088 Again thanks guys...hmmm whats next? Superchip the 140?