8P S3 - 3 Hour test drive.

nervus

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of having a new S3 while my car was being serviced at the weekend. This was due to only the service and parts dept. being open as the showroom is being re-fitted and only one sales guy was in. I know him well now and have been a loyal customer and he obviously trusts me so gave me the keys - couldn't believe it, I wished I'd got there at 8:30 instead of 10:00 as it had to be back for 13:00.

First impressions:
It looks aggressive from the front and will benifit from the black detail kit on the grille in leu of the chrome. From the back and side is lacks visual impact but that will appeal to many but personally i would seek more differentiation from s-lines. Standard wheels look good and so do the dull aluminium mirrors ala rs items.

Inside, the car looks and feels great. The gearstick has a shorter throw, looks awesome and the seats have great adjustment and go to the floor unlike my 8L S3 recaros. The seats were the standard ones with a kind of golf ball dimple to them which are very comfortable though only moderately supportive c.f. the RS4 buckets but certainly as supportive as the 8L s3 recaros, which will suit fatty's. There is quite a bit of piano finishing and it looks like it will mark easily, also this car had the standard steering wheel though it is nicely sized. The steering is way over-assisited imo and bordering on dangerous as its so easy to turn; It lacks a bit of feedback also but makes the car feel more agile and easier to throw about when you get used to it.

Performance:
Is impressive, it pulls hard from just below 2000rpm all the way to the redline without fall off. It is akin to a strong re-mapped 8L with the benifit of an extended rev-range and less lag. Once your up to cruising speed its versitility becomes apparant and you realy don't need to downshift when you require a bit of extra grunt. The car seems less stiff than the older model which is a bit suprising at that wasn't the stiffest of set-ups but this model deffinately handles better and inspires more confidence to push on. In-fact of tight roundabouts you could provoke oversteer with predictability even with teh esp engaged. The brakes are also a vast improvement and possibly a little overbiased to the front as under extreme breaking the car starts to tail-wag a littlte until the esp interferes. The car sounds a little noisey and tapperty on idle but that could be the fact that the car has just experienced the hardist 250 mile of it life in its infantile 320 miles covered so-far.

There are some great little touches to the car, including the DIS- lap counter, oil temp and digital speedo indicator but surely they could have added a boost gauge to the DIS-CAN function.

Its great value given the standard features, but imo would require a few extras such as buckets (though the render the back seats useless), the RS4 type wheel, sat-nav, and most importantly a loud S3 'only' colour such as Imola, solar orange or Nogaro (not available) so Sprint blue.

Bring on the re-mappers, this could deliver 300/320 +

Thanks for taking the time to write all that! Very interesting, and I'm desperate for a drive in one of these myself!

I saw a silver one in the flesh at MPH 06 in Earls Court, and I loved the way it looked, but then I like understated cars.

Anyway, regarding the steering, I wonder if the level of assistance can be altered like it can be on my mates MkV Golf GTI?

could it REALLY deliver that much more when remapped? i read that audi have already taken that engine pretty far and there isnt much left to play with.??

jediknight said:
could it REALLY deliver that much more when remapped? i read that audi have already taken that engine pretty far and there isnt much left to play with.??

I had a chat to Jim at Star Performance last weekend about remapping in general. He's managed to get 290bhp out of Seat's lesser turbo'ed version of this engine so 300+ should be possible.

Good review - pretty consistent with my experience (see the New S3 Test drive thread).
So many people have commented on the looks of the car (not different enough) but now people are getting to ahve a drive most appear to be converted!
I for one can not wait for mine to arrive on March 1st!

With regards to re-maps, i'm pretty sure they will break the 300 bhp barrier. The engine has had major mods in term of strengthening, so should cope with more. Look at Mitsubishi Evo's, they can get a 360 running relaibly (though think it needs servicing every 8-10k miles!).

We'll see, I won't be re-mapping mine, but will be very interested to see how far others take it!!!

4.5k miles...... comical really! Are you sure that isn't only the Evo 400 or whatever it is???

jamiekip said:
4.5k miles...... comical really! Are you sure that isn't only the Evo 400 or whatever it is???

Nope, it's because of the AYC. I had an FQ330 a couple of years back and it was forever in for a service :)

Had an Evo VII a while back and it's 4.5k or 6 months which ever comes first!

Great car but high running costs.

290hp out of the lesser turbo'ed seat at star....? Seems all the other tuners are struggling to get more than 250-260 odd out of the FSI motor in the Golf gti etc!

Agree bigger turbo s3 should make 300odd wiht a map.

Had the pleasure of a 2.5 hr drive of the new S3 from Grimsby Audi. Due in part to me being dropped off at Audi and forgetting a doc I needed to complete the picking up of my A3 so unluckly I had to to drive home in the new S3 :laugh: . The car was excellent to drive and just crept it over 1000 miles on the clock whilst I was out driving. Maybe a car for me to look at when I come to trade in my A3 3.2 Quattro.

Kris

simch said:
290hp out of the lesser turbo'ed seat at star....? Seems all the other tuners are struggling to get more than 250-260 odd out of the FSI motor in the Golf gti etc!

Agree bigger turbo s3 should make 300odd wiht a map.

I read somewhere that the new S3 runs 1.2 bar standard. If its K04 sized then 1.5-1.6 mapped ?
And stone me, 290 from the GTi engine ? Jim been talking to Jabbasport or wot ?

Chris.

I was converted as soon as I drove it! It was the day I was going to place an order on a TT 3.2 and I just saw that black demo S3 and asked for a test drive....

Ended up ordering the S3!

TT is very very nice but I like a wolf in sheeps clothes! :)

March 07 my delivery date!