S3 vs RS6, Evo, Subaru, Cosworth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazzy

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I have been pretty harsh with my S3 lately, heres how it goes:

A friend of mine has a RS6 (stock) we did a head on head & i got ahead by around 2 car lengths and maintained it. Then i did a test to see if he can outrun me on a straight but no luck there either i maintained the gap all the way upto 100mph.

I was chuffed!! :)

Evo's, Subaru Impreza's get beat if not i give them a very very good race!

Recently bumped into a chap with a Celica GT4 running a GT28RS 71. He had 325bhp/300ft lb torque. Did a run from 10mph, i got ahead around 4 car lengths until he started creeping and edging passed, by then i was at around 80mph. So laggy...

Same with a mates sapphire cossie 4x4 (approx 300bhp), eventually gets ahead but by then in excess speed.

No turbo upgrade for me, me thinks!! Unless i can get it setup up so i dont have lag.

Im running 3" dp, 2.5" into 2.25" exhaust system, no cats, 4bar fuel reg, BMC airbox...

Just awaiting to fit my FMIC then map a REVO stage II & then do a Rolling Road test... Hoping for some good results, got shed loads more torque since i had my AmD!!

so what are you running with the S3 ?
surely the RS6 should've beaten you to death from a start and emabarassed you all the way ?

mazzy said:

A friend of mine has a RS6 (stock) we did a head on head & i got ahead by around 2 car lengths and maintained it. The i did a test to see if he can outrun me on a straight but no luck there either i maintained the gap all the way upto 100mph.

3 Theory's to maybe expain this strange phenomenon:

i) The RS6 is a badged up TDI
ii) The RS6 is broken
iii) You have a modified turbolader

nervus said:
3 Theory's to maybe expain this strange phenomenon:

i) The RS6 is a badged up TDI
ii) The RS6 is broken
iii) You have a modified turbolader

iv) The guy had really really short legs

silver75 said:
iv) The guy had really really short legs

LOL - I was going to add that - Honest guv. I was going to say 'He Couldn't drive' but as RS6' are girltronic he only has to push one pedal in a drag

Olly_K said:
so what are you running with the S3 ?
surely the RS6 should've beaten you to death from a start and emabarassed you all the way ?

The RS6 is a friend and we have raced a few times, either i'm level or get ahead, his car is running fine. Its an estate, cant be that heavy can it?

Also its the other cars that suprise me, the cossie, gt4, evo's, scoobies etc...

The only car that did outrun me properly is a Mazda 323 4x4 Turbo running 350bhp+ but i knew that would as i've heard alot about it.

Obv i cant be running more than 300bhp because i have the standard turbo but got loads of torque.

Running a custom set REVO by myself & Kev of REVO, custom setup exhaust(3" downpipe, no cats, 2.5" system upto the rear diff then 2.25" to the end), neuspeed 4bar fpr, BMC Cold airbox.

Like i said earlier i dont know what figures it is produces as of yet, but with my AmD which is S*** compared to the REVO now it showed up 268bhp/289ft lb torque on AmD rollers.

Im all happy, just gotta look after my little BEAST!

Gotta up the handling/braking now...:)

The RS6 should have 450bhp and you should not have a hope in hell. The RS6 is the one properly rapid Audi (maybe excluding the new RS4) you mate has either a broken car, can't find the accelerator or is technically dead.

god_thats_quick said:
The RS6 should have 450bhp and you should not have a hope in hell. The RS6 is the one properly rapid Audi (maybe excluding the new RS4) you mate has either a broken car, can't find the accelerator or is technically dead.

I dont know its quick dnt get me wrong but not superfast... why aint nobody sayin that maybe my car is superfast?? lol.

But still dont explain the performance diff on the scoobies/evo's/cossie/gt4...

i raced a toyota celica GT4 from the traffic lights (i was behind him) and we was neck and neck and my is remapped by REVO on boost setting 7. i was suprised i didnt beat him.
i think the S3 is fast when remapped but im suprised it cant outrun some other cars. eg i raced a audi A3 2.0 FSI (he had 3 passengers in the car too) i had my girlfriend and we was neck and neck where i thought i would easy beat him
can anyone explain!?

I'm not having a go at the S3, even in my standard car I don't think I've ever lost at the traffic light GP or other situations when I've been trying, but the RS6 is something else even compared to the other cars in that group I've seen an RS6 make some 911's look silly (in a straight line).

edited to add "in a straight line" before Glen or someone else points it out.

campbell said:
i raced a toyota celica GT4 from the traffic lights (i was behind him) and we was neck and neck and my is remapped by REVO on boost setting 7. i was suprised i didnt beat him.
i think the S3 is fast when remapped but im suprised it cant outrun some other cars. eg i raced a audi A3 2.0 FSI (he had 3 passengers in the car too) i had my girlfriend and we was neck and neck where i thought i would easy beat him
can anyone explain!?

Well im running Boost 9, took my car out and did a log on vagcom, showing 1.4bar boost.

Also the timing is 7 i think & fuel.

Need to get the intake temp lower, so my FMIC must go on!!

Then a REVO Stage II!

Get your exhaust sorted and a downpipe. A good map will show the difference! PM me for details...

god_thats_quick said:
I'm not having a go at the S3, even in my standard car I don't think I've ever lost at the traffic light GP or other situations when I've been trying, but the RS6 is something else even compared to the other cars in that group I've seen an RS6 make some 911's look silly (in a straight line).

edited to add "in a straight line" before Glen or someone else points it out.

I know its quick, a friend raced a Audi RS4 which had been MTM remapped, he had an EVO VI (6) running near 380bhp, he totally slaughtered the RS4. Not like a couple of cars but alot of gap between them i seen the video's which a passanger had taken on his fone, even spoke to the RS4 chappy, he was shocked himself. Could it be a weight issue??

I will see my mate (RS6) hopefully this week and check his car is running properly.

hmm, I've driven a tt quattro sport (tuned s3 engine - granted not revo'd but v light) and and rs6 back to back and there is no way even a remapped s3 could beat an rs6. Twin turbo v8 against a single turbo 1.8t....... no chance.

stock rs6 avant (450bhp) giving a bhp per tonne of 250bhp
tuned s3 (say 270bhp) giving a bhp per tonne of 192bhp

mazzy said:
i dont know guys, could it be its a autobox?? it did have 4 people in it!

Were the four people the Golightly's from beadles about?:yes:

Mazz mate no matter what kind of spin you put on it the man had shorter legs than Bilbo Baggins

silver75 said:
Mazz mate no matter what kind of spin you put on it the man had shorter leggs than Bilbo Baggins

Right thats it, i've had enough... Im gonna have to arrange another setup with it.

I will try and cam it on a phone!!

:) no short legs & my s3 is quick!!

god_thats_quick said:
Does your S3 have a different turbo or nitrous? if not in my opinion you should be having your **** handed to you on a plate even by a standard RS6.

Well i know i thought that 2. I'll have to take his car out myself... Maybe im just a DRIVER! lol.

Either way im impressed with my S3...

I've just seen this, ****** cheap. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....50022913473&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1 not the real Garrett i know but well worth it in my opinion.

What do you think??

chipped s3,0-100 15s 1/4 14.5@98ish. All those cars you mentioned should beat you.

Right Maz, I'm just gonna have to have a go of your beast sometime mate, so I can back you up lol, how fast can it be? I'll call you later on in the week hopefully. :beerchug:

bwahahah hilarious. so your 0-60 must be sub 4 secs on your beast

I think your mate in the RS6 was toying with you, I have no real experience with any of those other cars mentioned but I have driven & been driven in an RS6 (driven properly), there is no way you would be in the same post code as him at 100mph!

As said many times, you aint gonna beat a RS6 in a chipped S3.

Sorry.

ive had 300 bhp cossies and no way would my s3 keep up ,more power and lighter than an s3
:think:

You guys are mental, i aint no jackanory!!

Im serious bout all this, the drivers are drivers otherwise they would not have cosworths, evo's & subs...

As for the RS6 i am gonna have to video it!

Will call u jojo 2moro, come over and see u.

Ryanc said:
chipped s3,0-100 15s 1/4 14.5@98ish. All those cars you mentioned should beat you.

I pm'd you asking wen i can come up and see you, wanted to see how much lag there is on your s3, whether its feasable for me to get a turbo upgrade.

I do 0-100km/h in around 5.5seconds and a 1/4 mile in 13.7 and my S3 is worked. RS6 should do 0-100km/h in approx 4.8 (stock) and a 1/4 mile in 13.6 approx (stock) i beleive?

RS6 has more than enough torque to keep pulling whereas the S3 lacks the same torque.

The only thing that is to your advantage is weight and your 6 speed manual, and if you have a short shift kit that could make the difference as well. or your a ****** good driver :)

Either way thats an impressive result.

either your the stigs twinbrother or it must be the new v power...

mazzy said:

A friend of mine has a RS6 (stock) we did a head on head & i got ahead by around 2 car lengths and maintained it. Then i did a test to see if he can outrun me on a straight but no luck there either i maintained the gap all the way upto 100mph.

Sorry to be another one to dismiss your fairy stories. Standard RS6 0-60 is 4.8seconds. My S3, running 1.55bar, and heavily modified (before the big turbo) could only manage 0-60 in 6.12 seconds. And that's good for a chipped S3. Even if you wanted to bend your valves and rev it up to 7500rpm so it reads over 60 on the clock (usually 3.5mph out at that speed) a gear change can't account for more than a second.

mazzy said:
Evo's, Subaru Impreza's get beat if not i give them a very very good race!

Keep dreaming, they're lighter, more powerful and have better gearing. It maybe more than possible to catch anyone of them sleeping off boost, but in a straight out drag run, S3's just aren't that quick.

mazzy said:
Recently bumped into a chap with a Celica GT4 running a GT28RS 71. He had 325bhp/300ft lb torque. Did a run from 10mph, i got ahead around 4 car lengths until he started creeping and edging passed, by then i was at around 80mph. So laggy...

Lag affects the revs in each gear, nothing to do with speed. Now was that a GT28RS or a GT2871R? If he's only running at 325bhp then I'd assume it's the GT28RS, only slightly more laggy than the K04 - maybe 300prms, if that.

mazzy said:
Same with a mates sapphire cossie 4x4 (approx 300bhp), eventually gets ahead but by then in excess speed.

No turbo upgrade for me, me thinks!! Unless i can get it setup up so i dont have lag.

You already do have lag. A strung out K04 does have lag, might not be so noticable once your used to it but jump into proper car with a big NA engine and the difference is blatant.

mazzy said:
Im running 3" dp, 2.5" into 2.25" exhaust system, no cats, 4bar fuel reg, BMC airbox...

Just awaiting to fit my FMIC then map a REVO stage II & then do a Rolling Road test... Hoping for some good results, got shed loads more torque since i had my AmD!!

Exhaust systems, air filters, FMIC's and more power? On an S3? I've run my S3 with a Supersprint exhaust, de-cat, BMC, etc. I know where you're at (albeit with less boost). Might be a good way of prepping for a big turbo conversion, but the gains have been proven.

hey mazzy your in west mids i must see the beast where are you located

dummi said:
hey mazzy your in west mids i must see the beast where are you located

He's not far from me in South Brum, nothing exciting to see, it looks like a standard Yellow S3 with standard 17" wheels with a pair of nice polished exhausts... that's it! I'm due for a ride or test drive soon, would be interested in exactly how much quicker it is over my AmD stage1 car?.

Status
Not open for further replies.