Audi 2.5TDI power plant

K7ERG

Reaction score
Website
www.wallaceperformance.co.uk
I am new to Audi diesels and looking to buy a A4 or A6 2.5TD. So Looking for as much info on these as possible.
The car will be used everyday and used for towing.

What engine to go for 2.5 5 cylinder or the V6?
What power outputs do these engines have in standard form PS and Nm?
What is the best way of getting power from these engines and keeping it reliable and good MPG?
Is there much point in going for a quattro?
Best year and model to go for?

Thanks in advance
Craig

AFAIK, the 2.5 in the A4 and A6 is only available as a V6. Power outputs are FWD - 150bhp & 163bhp or Quattro - 180bhp. This is for recent A4 and A6.

The I5 2.5 hasn't been available since the 100 which became the early A6. Not sure what the bhp of that was

I'd suggest trying to find a Quattro as our FWD 1.9 130 eats tyres to I imagine the V6 is even worse

HTH

Whats your budget/how old do you want to buy? A4s go for about £3000 to brand new so it makes a big difference! I reckon diesels are the way to go as you get better economy and they give good in-gear performance.

The V6s seem to have a hole from tickover to around 1800rpm. This may be a problem if you are pulling a trailer. The chip improved but did not eliminate this on mine. Once rolling you'll have no problem theres loads of torque and chips will add about 100Nm. I get 33mpg from enthusiastic driving (well its a sport innit?) , more when tootling, but 2wd will see 40+. Quattro will be useful if your towing includes across fields, poor roads, bad weather or just driving the wheels off it when having fun. As far as price is concerned my rule of thumb is the price halves every 3 years or thereabouts. Theres plenty around with 100k miles on, but the engines will last 300k if regularly serviced, and the body on our first Audi 80 was 14 years old when it ate its cam belt, but was completely rust free. so don't be frightened of high miles or age if its been looked after. My first set of Goodyear F1 are shagged at 17000miles (well they were probably gone a bit before that). I use the long service interval ie 20k miles so servicing costs are less than my last Passat. Hope this helps

i drive an a4 2.5 v6 (150 bhp model) very reliable car, eats miles with ease, very quick in gear, 6th is my fav, from about 1800rpm it pulls all the way upto whatever speed to care to drive. average around 36-38 mpg around town and mid to high 40's on a run.

mine has done 153k now and has never had anything go wrong with the engine (touch wood) other than having to change the MAF.

i would definately recommend it over the 1.9 model, oh it sounds good too :)

i think the reason it has lag below 1500 rpm is due to the fact it has an enormous turbo and 2 intercoolers on it, once its above this its a new kettle of fish.

The sound of the 2.5 TDi v6 is about the most amazing sound I have ever heard. I'm a die-hard cyclist, and even I can't stay out of my A4 2.5 TDi v6 Avant and keep the windows down all year! The sound is simply incredible - it's like driving a cargo plane!