My Cold air feed...

Lovegroover

Reaction score
Well i had a good play at the weekend with my cold air feed options and this is what i came up with.
I have 2 40mm feeds into the bottom of the airbox from a low down scoop positioned by the intercooler in the nearside wheel arch:

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

Finished and in position for some cold sucky action!!

DSC00179.jpg

You have to excuse the use of some handy duck tape to correct my mistakes. I misjudged how much i would be able to twist the pipe to fit into the air box!!

I also fettled with the oem feed and provided som air through the arch liner - looks like a speaker i know:

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

The verdict - well it certainly isn't any worse and i think when on the move there is a noticeable difference in the response department. (Although i did fit a brand new standard panel filter aswell)
It isn't laggy atall off the lights so there is no heat soak being suffered - trust me i was sat in traffic for 1/2 hr last night @ +29 degrees C.
I'm glad i did it but if you don't want to hear your d/valve woooossshhhing, leave well alone, as it is quite vocal now changing at 4k revs (With windows up and stereo on you won't notice it though).
I'm glad i did it and think there is a more positive feel when sticking your foot down while on the move for sure!

i think you will find the wooshing is down to changing the wheel arch parts, mine had come loose and was so loud i thought something major had failed - fixing it back together and it totally silenced the wooshing

just a quick thought....

what about water. I know someone who cracked their engine when driving through a large puddle. That was in a brand new, unmodified Peugeot 607.
Admittedly its not a peugeot, but there is a risk there isnt there?

How do you mean, through the arch liner or sucking water up the pipes?
So far i've not got any water ingress through the small holes in the arch(although granted it hasn't been very wet), and don't think even if the ends of the pipes were submersed in water there would be enough velocity to suck water up those pipes they're 1/2 m long each.

I must admit i had considered taping the arch holes closed when it's peein' it down in the winter months.

the turbo would suck up water if its submerged but mostly you'd be fine.. just don't drive through any rivers :p looks effective mod though

i would be worried about water being sucked up from that , i would make a cover for when its raining/winter to be sure you dont damage your engine

really the pipes don't need to go that low.. just the extra ducts to the airbox should help

Working with flow through pipes etc. i'm reasonably confident that gulps of water would only ever reach a velocity able to climb the vertical rise when the turbo is at full chat and if the two pipes - not the funnell (as it's not watertight) were completely submerged. If the waters that deep there is no way my turbo would be on full boost. i'd also loose my front bumper and ability to steer i would've thought
:).
I will be covering the arch mod in the rainy winter months though, as i feel this poses the biggest risk of getting the filter wet from tyre spray.

dummi said:
really the pipes don't need to go that low.. just the extra ducts to the airbox should help

Granted, the funnell end piece could be removed in the less dry seasons as the 'ram air' effect i have tried to create (cough, cough) isn't really needed in the colder months.