AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Look what happened to my adored A4 this afternoon on my way home from work ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mashed - Click here

Van driver decided to try and undertake me on a single lane road as I was turning left !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I won't go into details as he's disputing it, but personally I don't think he's got a leg to stand on, and my conscience is totally clear. I have plenty more pictures that I took as evidence, but they show the other vehicle involved (the one above was after he'd driven off) so don't think I should be sharing them.

Have to say that the car stood up well to the impact and the engine's not affected. However the front drivers side tyre came completely off the wheel as it was dragged sideways across the tarmac and shunted onto the curb, so it's not driveable. Reckon that may have buckled the axle but we'll have to see.

Absolutely gutted!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mike

P.S. In the pic where you can see the car is on the pavement - that's where it ended up. I'm just thankful that 1) I didn't have my missus or kids in the car and 2) that there was no-one walking along that section of pavement at the time!

Gutted for you!

Dont try to make him admit liability - you might void his insurance if you do - a lot of policies now state that if you admit liability it nullifies the insurance..

youve done the right thing, take pics, present as much evidence as possible and let them sort it out!

Will your insurance provide a temp car?

at the end of the day, if the safety measures on the car worked, and you arent hurt, then the car did its job for you.. and confirms your decision to buy a decent motor!

and yes, glad no pedestrians, a lady walking with a buggy was killed today when a prat crashed trying to get away from the police..

glad youre ok!

Thanks mate! Still can't believe it!

As for his insurance, it's not his own motor, he drives for a (very large) company so it probably won't even affect him personally.

Hopefully when I present my evidence it will be enough to get it sorted. I don't want this going down as a fault claim against me or even 50-50. Bl**dy insurance costs enough as it is!

Oh, and sorry to hear you're out of a job ... and having to sell your cars! That sucks!

Mike

Gutted for you mate, hope you can sort it out soon. Just goes to show how strong the car is really. Glad you're not hurt.

Sorry to hear that, but the main thing is that you are ok, at the end of the day the car can be repaired /replaced, just makes you glad you drive an Audi and not something else which would not cope aswell with such an impact.

Cheers

Thanks guys.

No, none of the airbags deployed, but it was more of a shunt than a full-on impact.

Just spoke to insurers who are not sure if it's repairable!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone know what happens if it's not? How do they work out how much money to give me? If only it was new for old like the home insurance!

Cheers

Mike

Mate, that looks nasty. I feel for you, especialyl if the car is written off. You never get back its full market value. At best you get what it would be worth on trade-in aganist another car. Trouble is, you then have to pay full retail to buy an equivalent replacement.

Like the others said though, at least only the car and not any people were damaged.

Where did it happen?

4skin hell! Glad your OK! Theres some right R-soles on the roads these days! Hope it gets sorted asap.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys.

No, none of the airbags deployed, but it was more of a shunt than a full-on impact.

Just spoke to insurers who are not sure if it's repairable!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone know what happens if it's not? How do they work out how much money to give me? If only it was new for old like the home insurance!

Cheers

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on who your insured with. NU will do a new for old on cars under 3 years i think.

Thanks CJ. Still feeling gutted. I get this horrible feeling every time I see an A4 on the road ... am really missing it - sad eh! I have always loved my car, but you know what they say ... you don't truly appreciate something until it's gone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Put up a couple of posters at the site of the crash appealing for any witnesses. Also noticed a couple of CCTV camera's above shops which are pointing in the direction of where it happened. I'm going to try and find out who controls them and hope that they have some good footage.

I know a lot don't even have film, but it's worth a try. Not sure who to ring really, the shop owners, the council, the police?? Any one ever tried to get hold of any CCTV footage before?

Cheers

Mike

I know it's gutting mate just hope you get it sorted and get yourself another beauty asap!
Goto the shops directly and ask to speak to the manager/owners with the CCTV and explain the situation. Most should only be too willing to help. If there are street cameras with CCTV then the local police station is your best bet and ask for the person who works or is in charge of the control room. Good luck mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hmmm, turns out BOTH of the camera's are currently out of action and waiting for an engineer to fix them - b*gger!

Still, I reckon I've got a strong case ... just need to find out how the dispute process works! With neither side admitting liability and no (independent) witnesses, reckon it could go on a while.

Mike

P.S. Not selling your's are you CJ? Looks just like mine! hehe. (Still hoping it'll be repairable actually)

Typical about the cameras...those things never ****** work when you need them to!
May sell it if we can agree on a price and if yours isn't repairable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I was only joking CJ!

I think yours will be out of my budget anyway what with the fact that they'll probably not give me what mines truly worth, and that yours has the full bodykit and leather!

Still no news ... been chasing insurers every day and am still awaiting an engineer to assess it to see if it is a write-off. Am undecided now whether I want it back or whether I'd rather be given a big cheque to go and buy a new one. Would definitely be sad to see it go though after "caring" for it for over 2 years.

Mike

Ok, an update ...

They're going to fix my car!! I'm really pleased about this, as I don't think I could have got another one in as good nick (pre accident of course) to replace it with the money I'd have got.

I rang the bodyshop to find out what work they were doing on it, and the guy laughed and said they had 44 parts on order and the list of work went onto 3 pages!!! Basically new doors, sills, wing, wheel, tyre, respray, trim etc etc. But the good news is that they're fixing a largeish stone chip I've had on the bonnet for months which has really p*ssed me off ever since I noticed it.

I was going to ask them to do this while they did everything else, but it's being covered by the repair work already, so that's a bonus.

Also, the insurance company are blaming the other driver and will be fighting my cause, so good news all round really!

Cheers

Mike

Good news, Mike. Keep us all posted on how things develop, and I hope you're back on the road again soon.

Good news, at least you get your own car back, did they say how much the work was going to cost as it must be pretty borderline in terms of being economic to repair?

No mate they didn't say, but yeah it must be borderline as the garage originally said they thought it might be a write-off and had to get the insurance engineer in to assess whether or not it was worth repairing.

Prior to the accident it was in very good nick, I've looked after it well. The recovery driver commented as such. (As did my audi mechanic last time I had it serviced.)

The car has just hit 60k, so I was just about to get round to booking it in for the belt change before the accident. I'm wondering whether it might be a good time to do it while they're stripping the car down. Isn't the major cost of the belt change to do with having to remove the front of the car to get at it? I'm guessing they'll be removing the front bumper etc for re-spray work. Wonder whether I should try and arrange to have the belt done at the same time to reduce cost. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Mike

You can but ask, problem is that sometimes bodyshop is at separate location to mechanical workshop, best of luck and hopefully you will get car back in previous good condition or better still better condition once your bonnet has been repaired aswell.

Nice one mate ...good news! Are Audi carrying out the repair work. you know you can have any repairer you want for your car!
Whoevers doing it it's good news anyway.
Have you got whiplash?

No it's a local crash repair centre. Audi don't do repair work, or at least that's what I've been told in the past, they just contract out to a repair centre.

No I don't have whiplash, so no injury claims to be had! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Audi do do bodywork repairs, a lot of dealerships have their own Audi Approved Bodyshops onsite.

The Audi website will tell u which do\you can search for ones that do, for example there is one on the south coast that does not too far from where you are.

That's interesting to know, thanks mate. Unfortunately it's a bit late to change things now as the garage have already ordered the 44 parts and started work.

I'll definitely bear it in mind though should the worst happen again!!

I'm wondering whether my car is cursed!! I've had it 2 years and this is the 4th time someone has hit it. Ok the other 3 times were fairly minor (the car was stationery in every instance) but I've had my other car for 8 years and only had 1 minor incident when the neighbour reversed into it! hmmm! I'm sticking with it though!! ;o)

Mike

i know how you feel Mikebabs1
i me and my bro used to share a vauxhall cavalier got hit from the back of the car 4 times then it got written off. it was a proper reliable motor back in the days!
Dont worry im sure its not bad luck just careless drivers!

all the best mate

Yeah, you're right mate. That's the most annoying thing ... you could be the most careful and observant driver on the planet, but there's nothing you can do about the other idiots on the road!

Have just written a detailed accident report to send to the insurers. I'd love to share it with you all to see what you think, but I don't think it's a good idea under the circumstances. Will let you know who wins the battle (fingers crossed)!

Mike

I know what your goin' through mate.....A few years back I'd had my last car (B5 A4 TDI that I'd coveted for ages) for exactly one week when a woman in a fiesta came straight over a mini-roundabout & hit me side on!. Not nice!.

Anyway ...hope things go your way Mike & your back on the road soon.

I got crashed into the back, of my A4 on sunday! We were stationary at traffic lights, when a Corsa smashed into us. Not happy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif