Need some help

Lunatikx07

Reaction score
I got a little problem i got my car a week ago 88 audi 80 and my temperature and gasoline gauge dont work i figured it was because it was old so i changed the oil and i burned up the gas it was bad from staying in the tank so long but its still not going anyone have any ideas what i could do to make the gauges work the car works fine starts up from first try any opinion will be appreciated....one more question i been searchin the net for two days and all i managed to find is clear corner lights over ebay anyone know where i can get clear headlights or anyother kind thanks for any help and advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whilst the two seperate gauge senders could have failed, I would go for the voltage regulator first, coz this would affect both gauges. Small square plastic 'chip' kind of object with 3 connecting tracks coming off it. located on back of instrument panel. Cheap and easy fix, if no joy, then move on to senders etc.?

a question, where is the temp guage location on an 88 80?

is it in the centre consol or in the dash instruments?

If location in the dash instruments then both will be affected by the voltage regulator BUT if on the centre consol then I believe they are seperate from the regulator?

Also, if the regulator is faulty will it cause the guages to stop reading completely or will they cause high/low readings but readings all the same?

I assumed coolant, for a 'temperature gauge', I did not pick up on the 'changed the oil' bit, maybe he does mean the oil temp gauge in the centre console?
As I said, it could be the senders, but I would try the reg first coz it's a far cheaper option and a possible cause - which might not be the case now?
If you are saying there would be readings but not accurate, then my advice is definitely wrong, but I would rather waste £2-3 before buying £150 worth of senders? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

sCOTTY33 sorry that i didnt say it more accurately i changed the oil in the motor because i thought maybe there wasnt any and for the other guy the gauges are in the console or w/e u call it right infront of the steering wheel next to the rpm gauge i mean both the rpm gauge work and the speedometer as for the temperature gauge and gas gauge its just sittin on the bottom not goin up or down it just isnt working sorry for not saying it my problem more accurately

No problem, you did alright, it's just that some models have 3 extra gauges down above the centre ashtray, - one of which is oil temp.
Some good info here:

http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=38730#38730

You can also 'prove' your fuel tank sender in a similar way to the temp sender, i.e. short the gauge wire to earth and switch the ignition on, gauge should go up to full.
If it does, sender is at fault, if not, there is another problem eg wiring or circuit board.

I was getting confused as to which guages.. :)

I agree with Scotty, try shorting the wires to earth, then check/change the regulator. After that it is either the sender or the guage itself...

Scotty, I was actually asking questions there cause I wasn't sure myself.

I have a similar problem with my 1994 Coupe 16V. The fuel and water temp gauges 'bounce' up and down, in that they go up and down all the time. I'm assuming there is a connection as they do work properly sometimes. While the water temp gauge doesn't bother me, the fuel gauge annoys me as I can approximate the fuel used, but sometimes I'm not quite sure if I'm going to run out. Hence my local garage seems me quite a lot.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Its a square electronic component approx 10mm across, with 3 metal 'legs' coming out of one side. Located on the back of the printed circuit board of the instrument cluster, at the end (behind fuel gauge). It is accessible without stripping down the clocks, hardest part is getting clocks out!

scotty33 said:
Its a square electronic component approx 10mm across, with 3 metal 'legs' coming out of one side. Located on the back of the printed circuit board of the instrument cluster, at the end (behind fuel gauge). It is accessible without stripping down the clocks, hardest part is getting clocks out!

Cheers Scotty.
OK, could you recommend a way to get to the rear of the instrument panel?

The reason I ask is that my old Scirocco had a problem with the panel and it turned out to be a mare getting to it. My Audi is more solidly built and I'm guessing it's a huge, time consuming job. So before I take it apart and end up getting it wrong, I wanted to check which way you would go about it.

Remove steering wheel, column shrouds and control stalks. There are 2 screws at bottom of clocks. Take these out then pull clocks out bottom first, then flip top towards you to get at wiring plugs. Take care not to scratch the perspex on steering column!
They say it's possible to do it without removing wheel, I would remove wheel anyway, just mark the wheel and column, so you put it back on same spline.

scotty33 said:
Remove steering wheel, column shrouds and control stalks. There are 2 screws at bottom of clocks. Take these out then pull clocks out bottom first, then flip top towards you to get at wiring plugs. Take care not to scratch the perspex on steering column!
They say it's possible to do it without removing wheel, I would remove wheel anyway, just mark the wheel and column, so you put it back on same spline.

Cheers for the info Scotty. I'm going to assume that the regulator is not repairable and hopefully speak to my nice local Audi dealership :0

I am new to this, so please pardon my ignorance, i have an AUDI Cabriolet 2.3, seems to have picked up a bug this, firstly my stereo went all funny, giving me a squiggly sound from the speakers, then the idle started playing up, seems to jump to 1200 revs, when warm, if i swtch of the car and switch on again the revs seem to be normal at 900 revs, whilst driving and have to come to a stop, put the clutch in and the reves are up again to 1200, also my temp guage, not giving any reaading, needles does not move, all these faults started at the same time... can someone please HELLLPPPPP!!!!:keule: