The new VAQ e-diff

a3_phil

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the normal A3 (specifically the 184 TDI, NON-quattro) has the VAG group's fancy new VAQ differential as fitted to the Golf GTI PP and the Seat Leon Cupra?

Reactions: leosayer1
The standard 2.0tsi leon FR has it so it could do, unsure though with it being a diesel
HTH

This bit of American bumpf prior to the 8V launch suggests that it does have the VAQ but who knows if that's correct or if it only applies to the NA market or not:

2014 Audi A3 TDI forum, buyer's guide, review, and FAQ

Various other sources also suggest the mk7 Gold GTD has it so it wouldn't surprise me if the (more expensive) A3 184 TDI has it as well.

It does seem amazingly hard to find any information online as to what VAG cars (other than the Golf and Leon) have it fitted or not.

Nope.

No Audi in the A3 range has this VAQ e-diff fitted.

It's a front axle traverse electrically locking diff, also manufactured by Haldex.

S3 uses EDL to provide torque-vectoring, via existing ABS sensors and brakes.

I can't say I'm overly fussed as I've managed for a few years without any kind of locking diff but it does seem a little strange that the top end diesel Leon and Golf have it but that the A3 doesn't.

Maybe their logic is that the 184 isn't the top diesel as it's the quattro s-tronic instead meaning the Audi equivalent is (arguably) better than the Seat and VW by virtue of having full 4WD.

Not really full 4WD though. Having come to my S3 from an S4 and other 'proper' Quattros before that, I am wondering whether we can play with a Haldex controller to lock it in full time 4WD.

At the moment, I am wondering what will happen come snowtime. In previous cars I could simply switch off the traction control, and enjoy driving past the stranded BMWs!!!

The Golf GTD has it but the Leon FR uses a slightly more primitive system merely using the brakes from what I remember and it's only on the 184.

No idea about the A3.

Not really full 4WD though. Having come to my S3 from an S4 and other 'proper' Quattros before that, I am wondering whether we can play with a Haldex controller to lock it in full time 4WD.

At the moment, I am wondering what will happen come snowtime. In previous cars I could simply switch off the traction control, and enjoy driving past the stranded BMWs!!!

no worries, you'll still be able to do it. with winter tires of course ... :happy:

As far as I know the gtd doesn't have the diff it is only the Gti with performance pack that gets the proper diff, and the cupra Leon. Everything else including the a3 just had open diff as standard with brake control to vector some torque, it's the same system that's been knocking around for ages under different names.

Only the Cupra 280 and Golf GTI PP get the VAQ e diff.

When I was choosing what car to buy I had a long test drive in a Golf GTI PP and it was bit vague to be honest. It seemed to be on / off when coming round fast corners. Useful but not earth shattering. Reminds me of the front end on my S3 where the Haldex tries to correct your line when your really pushing on in fast bends*

*im guessing it's the Haldex - never experienced it before in any other car and this is my first quattro!

Last edited:
Only the Cupra 280 and Golf GTI PP get the VAQ e diff.

When I was choosing what car to buy I had a long test drive in a Golf GTI PP and it was bit vague to be honest. It seemed to be on / off when coming round fast corners. Useful but not earth shattering. Reminds me of the front end on my S3 where the Haldex tries to correct your line when your really pushing on in fast bends.

It is basically half a haldex system but no rear drive shaft so probably very similar feel.

Good correction on the 280 thing what I meant along with the adaptive suspension.

Reminds me of the front end on my S3 where the Haldex tries to correct your line when your really pushing on in fast bends*

*im guessing it's the Haldex - never experienced it before in any other car and this is my first quattro!
In all honesty, it's more likely to be the S3 torque-vectoring feature, using the inboard brakes to get your around the bend. Haldex, per se, plays very little part in handling around corners - if anything, it has a tendency to push the nose of the car wide, rather than help it around the bend.

When people say they can "feel the rears kick-in" what is actually happening is that the Haldex clutch pack locks up, and by doing this, effectively forces the rear wheels to travel a longer path (by choice, the rear wheels take a shorter path around a corner compared to the front wheels) and therefore a little wider path than usual (assuming a high mu friction surface, and not snow). But if the fronts are already understeering, Haldex will not help at all in this situation.

In all honesty, it's more likely to be the S3 torque-vectoring feature, using the inboard brakes to get your around the bend. Haldex, per se, plays very little part in handling around corners - if anything, it has a tendency to push the nose of the car wide, rather than help it around the bend.

When people say they can "feel the rears kick-in" what is actually happening is that the Haldex clutch pack locks up, and by doing this, effectively forces the rear wheels to travel a longer path (by choice, the rear wheels take a shorter path around a corner compared to the front wheels) and therefore a little wider path than usual (assuming a high mu friction surface, and not snow). But if the fronts are already understeering, Haldex will not help at all in this situation.

OK - cool. Definitely can feel the Haldex adjusting the rear.

Had a few cars with the electronic diff (EDL) on the front end but my S3 really does "push" me back in line and it feels like it's coming from the front end rather than the rear. My A1 and Golf GTI both had it and you could feel the inside wheel breaking for example. Wasn't massively effective. You know when the rear comes in to play but this is different. Maybe the EDL is more aggressive in the S3?